Thread: Converting your OEM Differential to Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Converting your OEM Differential to Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

If you are considering going to a LSD , well most likely there is no LSD available for your transmission.
    The Speed3 LSD wont fit the 5spd but should work on the 6 spd but not on Sky transmissions.
    If it is it will set you back at least $1500 for the part unless you find a used on ebay.

Traction Concept has a kit to convert your oem transmission differential to a LSD .

https://www.tractionconcepts.com/2012-Mazda-3-GX-G35M-R-5-Speed-Manual-LSD-Kit-p/tcxmz3740.htm

This one was custom made for me and for the 5spd G35M-R manual transmission should also work for the G5M transmissions.
    If your model is not listed ask. They may have already custom made it (have the specs) and have not listed it on their website.
    Custom would require you have the transmission dismantled and able to photograph the diff and measure gaps between the gears.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Converting your OEM Differential to Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

you must be joking... I really stopped taking your post seriously after reading the first line... at that price, you're about halfway there to an mfactory LSD, which is a real helical gear LSD, not this overpriced phantom grip lookalike garbage... even the crappy LSD from a mazdaspeed protege works and is better, as long as you did prep work before hand, such as welding reinforcement to the housing and swapping the ring gear because it's cut differently
    with the amount of work tearing into the trans, get a real LSD and do it right!

bottom line is, there are LSDs available (not the "traction concepts" joke) for these cars, you just didn't look hard enough or talked to the right people
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its in the Mazda 3 5spd now and got tested and it work. I still have to figure out the exact gain because i know its ** NOT ** 100% equivalent to a MFactory LSD but its better than what it is.

I did not drop the transmission to just do the this kit. I know the diff (pardon the pun) and agree this not a locking LSD or true limited slip or Torsen LSD. This is an option when no LSD is available.
    Plus there are thousands of these kits in track and race cars in the USA. My contact at Ultraray Motosport knows many using TC in their track cars in the USA and some of those are Porsche's.

Spoke to Mfactory and OS GIKEN and Quaife they have for the speed3 and dont recommend rejigging one to fit and no products for for the G35M-R and plus these are $1200usd - 2000.
    Even the LSD for the protégé is $700usd. My Mech who is rebuilding the 5 spd (internals blocked gear shift sychros and lock hubs on 3rd gear had to be replaced & its known issue with this
    5spd hence why i didnt go with a used JDM ) said not to rejigg the diff the transmission is down and open no real extra time to add this kit to the diff and remount internals and test and see.
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 02-21-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@TheMAN If you really think its a joke how about a bet !

I win you buy me 12 beers you win i buy you 12 beer (but might have to wait until tracks are open)
    I have my best lap times for Cayuga and for Mosport DDT . I better my times by lets say 1 or 2 sec
    i win and if times are same or slower you win.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know even know what the word "jigg" means? The MS3 trans is completely different... you're a fool to even raise that and ask those LSD manufacturers that question... applications for the G15M-R/G25M-R already exists, they're a direct fit to the G35M-R and G66M-R... those aftermarket LSDs expect you to reuse the ring gear from your stock diff anyway as it doesn't come with one.... you wasted all that money and time for garbage

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    Do you know even know what the word "jigg" means? The MS3 trans is completely different... you're a fool to even raise that and ask those LSD manufacturers that question... applications for the G15M-R/G25M-R already exists, they're a direct fit to the G35M-R and G66M-R... those aftermarket LSDs expect you to reuse the ring gear from your stock diff anyway as it doesn't come with one.... you wasted all that money and time for garbage
    re-jig not jigg

I only asked those LSD manufacturers if any of their LSD will fit on the 5 spd mazda 3 G35M-R and they said a big no it will not work.
    and these guys make a LSD for the Protege 1999-2003 and these LSD's are 1200USD ,,, TBH money was spent to open and rebuild
    the bearing and synchro's ... adding the Diff kit was an opportunity to test this product
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 02-24-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Transmission is rebuilt (new bearings,synchros, seals) OEM Diff converted to an almost Limited Slip Diff.
    This is not a locking LSD but goal of the Traction Concept Kit is keep HP at both wheels
    Time on the track will only tell how well it works in this 5spd , when on full HP in the corners and if higher heat
    temp will diminish the kits performance.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update :

having absolutely no issues after tracking it in 2022

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisKocher View Post
    Any update?

Traction Concept has a kit to convert your oem transmission differential to a LSD .

https://www.tractionconcepts.com/2012-Mazda-3-GX-G35M-R-5-Speed-Manual-LSD-Kit-p/tcxmz3740.htm

It works - and no issues at all

Its not as a proper LSD but for the cost it is effective way to add Limited slip.

If you follow the Traction Concept instagram you can see some stories of builds.

If a true LSD unit is available (new or used) go with that as it is a plug n play.
    The TC unit will involve some machining for correct gaps.