Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrading Camshafts on MZR L engine (non DISI)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Upgrading Camshafts on MZR L engine (non DISI)

Quote Originally Posted by timuhai View Post
    So i take it you found someone to do your rebuild? Sounds like it will be a fun car to drive, 12:1 would just be awesome. Does your 2.0 have the forged or cast crank? I thought I read before that the cast crank can handle quite a bit of power, but high RPM is where it has problems, Though this is with the 2.5L; not sure what the 2.0 has.

I'm going to shoot xero limit an email sometime soon. Mostly just want to verify that I can drop those stage 1.5's without having to remove / plug VCT...not that it would keep me from doing it I suppose. You said yours came with shims and you left your buckets IIRC, yeah? I plan on doing it myself, but I haven't torn this engine apart much, unlike my old NB miata I no longer have.

I know its no big number FI setup, but this 2.5L is a blast to drive as it is (IMO) being factory rated at almost 170 hp. I feel that with cams, i/h/e and a mild tune I could reliably be around 200HP crank. Not that I really care too much about the HP numbers, but I think it would be even more fun and help occasional lap times while being civil on the street.

Anyway thanks for the info mini, hope your build goes well and look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    Hey ... not sure if 2.0L oem crank is cast or forged or rolled up chicken wire ...but it will get checked to see if it balanced and test what it can handle.
    Yes Gord Bush Performance will be doing the re build and flow the ports and engine balancing.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well mini I might be going a similar route as you, but I havenít decided yet. My 3 is approaching 160,000 mostly highway (bought it with 50k) miles and Iím not sure how much life Iím going to get with 1.5 cams and a tune, but I really like this car a lot as well as NA builds so I think I may just swap cams, and maybe next year rebuild the internals. Or maybe this year all at one time... Rebore, pistons and rods, get the camshaft looked at or maybe replace it with a new oem shaft if I can find one. Water pump, radiator... refresh everything basically. I wouldnít be going for the maximum possible redline / power combo, but I think a reliable power and compression ratio increase could easily be had. Maybe a 7k redline . These are all just my random ideas so far, but perhaps I will order my cams this month and go from there. Hope your build continues to go well !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=timuhai;1362197]Well mini I might be going a similar route as you, but I havenít decided yet. My 3 is approaching 160,000 mostly highway (bought it with 50k) miles and Iím not sure how much life Iím going to get with 1.5 cams and a tune, but I really like this car a lot as well as NA builds so I think I may just swap cams, and maybe next year rebuild the internals. Or maybe this year all at one time... Rebore, pistons and rods, get the camshaft looked at or maybe replace it with a new oem shaft if I can find one. Water pump, radiator... refresh everything basically. I wouldnít be going for the maximum possible redline / power combo, but I think a reliable power and compression ratio increase could easily be had. Maybe a 7k redline . These are all just my random ideas so far, but perhaps I will order my cams this month and go from there. Hope your build continues to go well ![/QUOTE

The 2.0L non sky already revs to 7,200 oem (maybe thats after my OV tune) .
    It all comes down to what makes you happy. How much money you got to spend and what are you looking for to do.
    I kept my paid off rust free 2012 and put money into it instead of new Mazda 3 lease payments at 320 monthly tax in (x4years = $15,000) plus insurance
    and you dont even own the car. I slowly upgraded parts as needed , replaced with upgraded parts.

for example :
    Clutch started to let go so replaced with a exedy Stage 1 clutch (on sale at Rock auto 50% off) and race flywheel ( new on Kjiji for $100 ) I have the oem flywheel , its for sale.
    Put a hole in my muffler on winter drive to MTL , replaced it with cat back from Corksport (got it on a 9% off sale , stuff never on sale there)
    One of my shocks started to leak / rust decided to lower with Corksport springs and adjustable dampeners (mistake) .
    Needed to do more research what i really needed and went for is coilovers ( i wanted to be able to 4 corner balance the car).
    I Sold the lowering springs and oem springs too and corksport dampeners and recouped all cost and put it into coilovers.
    I was due for 4 rotors and pads so i went to bbk front and slotted oem size rears.
    I went to Enkei 17" RPF1 rims ... sold the 16" black mazda rims to off set cost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123