Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading Camshafts on MZR L engine (non DISI)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Upgrading Camshafts on MZR L engine (non DISI)

Looking forward to an update

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff7670 For This Useful Post:

shift8 (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    Looking forward to an update
    Probably swap cams in April (on summer rubber by then)
    and dial suspension and tune back to track setting before
    logging new data with stage 1.5 Cams...then retune ECU
    and then do a dyno.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed Cams Yesterday... cost a bit more than expected, Install was 7 hrs
    but included replacing a few seals and other tweaks. Extra Time was to double check clearances and
    calibration / timing chain and so that buckets & new shims are spot on. No buckets replaced.. wear and tear
    at 220K was not noticeable only shims added. 500-1000Km break in (at grandma speeds under 3K for max
    effective break in).

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does the exhaust sound? What is your torque curve going to look like?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    How does the exhaust sound? What is your torque curve going to look like?
    It will go on a dynojet once i build a cold airbox with velocity stack intake and once I have it tuned. Right now i am on Factory ecu settings.
    Must have stalled about 30 times already...idle has to be moved up to 950-1K. As cams are broken in becoming easier to idle at 650-700.
    Alot has changed to the hp/torque curve. Launch/Clutch engagement is above 1500-1800... below that car bucks. Having a lighter flywheel helps below 2K.
    3000 to redline opens up delivers it all. It revs up faster. The sound is awesome. The Cams have changed the exhaust note. Its actually clearer and more distinctive.
    I dont think it sounds like anything already out there. I'll record something this week and post here. But once new tune is installed i bet it will change a bit a gain...
    I would love to hear the MSDS Headers on the Borla ..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update ... Cams & winter project (2012 Mazda 3 Sedan 2.0L)
    After installing http://www.xero-limit.com/xl-mzr-cams.html (yup it says for MX5 but it fits all MZR engines 2.0/2.3/2.5L) in April and tracking the car many times ...yes they work very well. Ride height lowered in July (corkSport lowering spring found on kijiji... a sweet find in muskoka $180) RacingBees another source for great priced mazda 3 parts (they sell Megan Racing but not Megan from same factory that makes Megan Racing springs& other stuff ..spoilers/lights https://racingbees.com/search?page=4&q=mazda).
    Winter project 2019 : build and install air box with velocity stack while also using / incorporating oem air intake plus intake through driver side fog light panel. (Mine is a GX no fog lights).
    Also want to add this https://gramsperformance.com/inducti...9-10-0070.html hopefully find in on sale black friday or xmas sale... Kijiji probably not.
    Once all installed i will Dyno in April 2020 ... no extra tune require. Whatever tune i have now (according to OV tuning tune will adjust to increase in air intake flow)
    On my way to 200WHP (xerolimit estimates with my set up im already presently between 185-195... without air box and Grams throttle body)
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 11-06-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome, probably is a quick ride.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance you want to go to cayuga next year? Would be cool to see how this compares to my MS6.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey its not a Speed 3 ...but i like the how she shifts and pulls thru the Rev Line and sounds.
    Cam supplier Xerolimit says it can rev past 8000 (but need to upgrade to stiffer valve springs).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    Any chance you want to go to cayuga next year? Would be cool to see how this compares to my MS6.
    I did a couple of advanced driver training in 2019. 2 times on the CTMP Mosport track ( i was the slowest car on the straight with Guys driving 400-500 hp cars V8 camaro , several M2 & M2 Comp, ) with BMW trillium club. This track is intense with all its blind turns and elevation drops and you absolutely need HP on the Andretti straight. I could only get up to 180 before turn 8. Took a ride in my instructor car (GT3 RS 505 hp and reduced weight its a rocket) and it was friggen insane and he brought his up to 220 before turn 8.
    With Hanson advanced driving on the DDT Track next door to Mosport (its bridge stone race academy training/teaching track. This track is very hard on the brakes. Pretty much at all turns are hard 90 degrees and not as fast mosport but perfect to show the limits of your car at lower speeds.

CAYUGA : sure I'll go back but would rather do Shannonville or Calabogie https://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/
    I did Cayuga in October on a cool day and found the track slippery and bumpy ( i was on Hankook RS-4 tires). Their were few of cars that went into the grass and spun out that day.
    I would like to go back on a hot day.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    I did a couple of advanced driver training in 2019. 2 times on the CTMP Mosport track ( i was the slowest car on the straight with Guys driving 400-500 hp cars V8 camaro , several M2 & M2 Comp, ) with BMW trillium club. This track is intense with all its blind turns and elevation drops and you absolutely need HP on the Andretti straight. I could only get up to 180 before turn 8. Took a ride in my instructor car (GT3 RS 505 hp and reduced weight its a rocket) and it was friggen insane and he brought his up to 220 before turn 8.
    With Hanson advanced driving on the DDT Track next door to Mosport (its bridge stone race academy training/teaching track. This track is very hard on the brakes. Pretty much at all turns are hard 90 degrees and not as fast mosport but perfect to show the limits of your car at lower speeds.

CAYUGA : sure I'll go back but would rather do Shannonville or Calabogie https://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/
    I did Cayuga in October on a cool day and found the track slippery and bumpy ( i was on Hankook RS-4 tires). Their were few of cars that went into the grass and spun out that day.
    I would like to go back on a hot day.
    I never did get a chance to take my old Mazda3 to Mosport GP back in the day so never did get a lap time for it. The Mazda3 makes a great momentum car for GP and cornering speeds should surprise some of the higher HP cars.

Were you able to get any lap times at GP (or DDT) for your setup?

the GT3 RS should hit 240 km/h before having to brake for 8...it's the getting down to ~160 km/h range that is arse puckering.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No unfortunately no track time. I only started using a track app in OCT at Cayuga. I need to do that 2020 (in the hot months on the RS4) at all 3 tracks. Im still in the process of adding two more small mods and retune. Winter Project...Building a that air box with outside intake and adding Grams Throttle body swap (adding 35% more air intake & possible 4-6Hp gain no tune ..if it fits on the front wheel drive... fits on the 2.0L MX5 RWD) .

Correct on the 240 km/h before turn 8...Instructor knew he can do more... he actually did tell me he had it lowered 1.5" front / 1" rear from OEM (which is set up to race from the factory) creating more downforce.
    That car had so much grip and passing at speed off line in turn 2,3 & 4 ... i need to get one ...lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12