Thread: Cruise Control not engaging, possible battery issue?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cruise Control not engaging, possible battery issue?

Since last year, I have had a problem with the Cruise Control on my 2012 Mazda 3 GS not engaging during cold winter starts.

I have been told that this is potentially a battery issue, as a fellow Mazda 3 owner told me that since Cruise Control requires a great deal of battery juice on startup, if the computer detects a low battery issue, the Cruise Control will not work. He had to replace his battery last year during the cold snap as the car just would not start.

Wonder if anyone has experienced something similar. Also, I bought one of those Motomaster reconditioning chargers, is it possible to "recondition" the battery back to prime? Or do I need to shop for a new battery?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cruise Control not engaging, possible battery issue?

There is no reconditioning a battery to 'like-new'. If you're convinced it's due to battery, get a new one!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is "cruise control cold start"?

you can only refresh a battery up to the condition/wear it is in, by desulfating the cells... any existing material loss in the lead plates means loss of capacity anyway, but a fully charged and desulfated battery still has a potential to give you more capacity than you do now

and btw, motomaster chargers are crap... you should get a ctek or noco... you're paying the money for weather sealing, temperature compensation, better solid state current control... the current is not constant but pulsating... the pulses varies based on the different stages of the charging sequence
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    what is "cruise control cold start"?

you can only refresh a battery up to the condition/wear it is in, by desulfating the cells... any existing material loss in the lead plates means loss of capacity anyway, but a fully charged and desulfated battery still has a potential to give you more capacity than you do now

and btw, motomaster chargers are crap... you should get a ctek or noco... you're paying the money for weather sealing, temperature compensation, better solid state current control... the current is not constant but pulsating... the pulses varies based on the different stages of the charging sequence
    I tried a motomaster charger years ago and it was terrible. Ended up buying a ctek, so much better.
    Haven't had to use it since I bought a deep cycle battery, but still nice to have around.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded