Ride
    96 F-250 7.3L powerstroke
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Engine swap no crank no start

Hi i just recently swapped the engine from a 06 Mazda 3 2.3(the original engine was blown and was swapped with a 2.0l all by previous owner) for an engine from an 05 mazda 3 2.3 and now I have no crank no start issues. I left all the sensors and harnesses attached to the engine when I swapped it. Both vehicles are manual transmission and both are S trim. I did not swap ecu's and wondering if that could be my issue? Scanned codes all relate to instrument cluster.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Engine swap no crank no start

what year is your car? the 05 and 06 engines are not interchangeable directly... the cams are different and most importantly, the sensor trigger wheel in the cam is different

these cars are not like old cars where you can get a wrong year engine and it works... you need to get the right year engine for your car

don't even think about trying to swap the ECUs... the wiring is slightly different and it has to be paired to the car
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Noob
    Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swapped the engine and used the harness as well as the ecu from the donor vehicle, my car is 06 mazda 3 S 2.3L 5 speed manual sedan donar car 2005 mazda 3 2.3L 5 speed manual hatchback. Everything fit without issues and I called a locksmith he came to my house cut me a oem branded key programmed my original and new one to the ecu and married ecu, IC, and bcm.

My car is up and running like a top, I also changed my stock manual HVAC for the full auto HVAC and did secondary cat and muffler delete adding a blastpack.

I haven't had any codes DTC lights on the dash nothing.

Just to clarify the statement in the comment about the engines not working and the ecu plugs being slightly different thats incorrect, the engines are the same from 04 to 09 there's either LF3 or BK engines and I did make sure I was using the proper coded engine, when it comes to the harnesses the variance is only from automatic to standard that you'd find slightly differnt connectors due to there being a Tcm in an automatic and not in a standard. Otherwise mazda uses the same exact harness across all trim levels and if the connection isn't used its taped to the loom and that's it.

Just wanted to update the conclusion to my issue and it was indeed the fact that the ecu wasn't communicating with my IC and bcm after the swap was done because the is in fact different sensors on the engine that didn't Match the my ecu memory, it cost my $90.00 for a oem key cut and programed to my car as well as marring the ecu IC and bum. Grand Total of $800.00 spent on the car after buying the parts car and paying the lock smith, I got $230 for the parts car at the scrap yard and 280 for the cats out of the scrap car one in the exhaust manifold and one after the flex pipe. So I basically paid $290 for the 06 mazda 3 S 2.3L which after the swap has 96000km on it and is fully loaded with heated lether seats moon roof, steering wheel mounted controls, bose audio and now auto climate control ect

Noob
    Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction*** the engine codes are LF3 and LF4 I was mixing that up with completely different part of the vin with bk part... But either way the diffence in the engines is only related to the capacity and each engine has 2 variations ones for Canadian/Mexico and the other is for California which as far as I know has nothing to do with mechanical or electrical differences and is just to do with emissions. So any 2.0L, 2.3L, and 2.5L engines from 04 to 11 will work in a mazda 3 with the same capacity from the above mentioned years as long as your using engine from the same transaxle type vehicle you won't have issues with wiring but if you use manual in auto or vise versa there will be issues due to either needing a tcm or not having tcm to connect which can be resolved by replacing the dash harness as well.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad you got your car working, but you are still wrong about the engines being the same...
    mazda changed the head design in 2006 as well as the camshafts... it is NOT a straight swap... the only reason why yours even worked at all is because you swapped the ECU and harness

this is all clearly documented in the shop manuals and parts catalogues

Noob
    Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry I didn't mean for that to be a means to start any issues here. I was/am under the impression that 06 had a change to the 2.0l adding vvt and vim and wasn't until 09 with second Gen that the engine changed to 2.3l disi turbo and also the 2.5l was available in the 3.

I am by no means an expert on engine variations, I only know what I had read from Wikipedia and what I few mechanics had to say when I asked about the different years of the mazda 3 that had compatible engines for my 06. And yes there is definitely a good chances I my self have been given incorrect information on the topic and if that's the case, my apologies for that and again I wasn't trying to cause any drama I just wanted to provide what I believed was the correct information so that someone who reads this will have as much correct info as possible to make life a bit easier.

Noob
    Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had actually done about a week's worth of research in the attempt to find out everything I could about compatible engines for my 06 and any issues that were common during the removal and installation process that I could avoid and that's the information I was going by in my earlier post.
    I definitely respect the opinions and guidance that everyone here provides, like I said my goal was to make sure the correct information is available to the readers that may come across this thread. I have read many threads where the information was completely wrong and it caused many headaches and LOTS of wasted time and money in the past(different forms and vehicles.... This is my first mazda I've worked on).