Thread: 2010 Speed 3 spitting fuel back out the filler neck after filling tank

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 Speed 3 spitting fuel back out the filler neck after filling tank

I am driving a 2010 Speed3, car sat for a couple months between a friend not driving it, and me purchasing it.

Something that him and I haven't seen before is this issue of gasoline coming back up the filler neck when fueling has finished.

This happens when I finish filling up every time so far.

In the comments on this video the poster says that Mazda changed the gas tank. I mean, I am mechanically inclined and I don't have an issue replacing the tank, I would just like to know what is causing it, and if I can save myself the expense.

Basically looking to see if anyone on the forum has had the same issue happen, and if they could shed any light to what was done to fix it other than "replace the tank"

Thanks for looking!

The issue is shown in this Youtube video I found
    https://youtu.be/fnsTWu0GGBg?t=76
    Last edited by Reddie1337; 01-24-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Changed video to start much closer to problem

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 Speed 3 spitting fuel back out the filler neck after filling tank

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    I am driving a 2010 Speed3, car sat for a couple months between a friend not driving it, and me purchasing it.

Something that him and I haven't seen before is this issue of gasoline coming back up the filler neck when fueling has finished.

This happens when I finish filling up every time so far.

In the comments on this video the poster says that Mazda changed the gas tank. I mean, I am mechanically inclined and I don't have an issue replacing the tank, I would just like to know what is causing it, and if I can save myself the expense.

Basically looking to see if anyone on the forum has had the same issue happen, and if they could shed any light to what was done to fix it other than "replace the tank"

Thanks for looking!

The issue is shown in this Youtube video I found
    https://youtu.be/fnsTWu0GGBg?t=76
    Have you checked to see if the evap system is working as intended?

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 Speed 3 spitting fuel back out the filler neck after filling tank

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    Have you checked to see if the evap system is working as intended?
    The evap system hasn't thrown any codes, its been functioning properly otherwise.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The evap system hasn't thrown any codes, its been functioning properly otherwise.
    But... have you tested the evap purge valve? You can supply it with 12v and it should open/close.

It may be failing and not thrown a code yet. It's easy to test and much easier to replace then the tank.
    The valve could be in the process of failing and not outside the perimeters for throwing a code.

I have an extra one on a spare block if you want to test by swapping.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But... have you tested the evap purge valve? You can supply it with 12v and it should open/close.

It may be failing and not thrown a code yet. It's easy to test and much easier to replace then the tank.
    The valve could be in the process of failing and not outside the perimeters for throwing a code.

I'm not 100% sure that the systems are identical between the Speeds and NA Mazda3's when it comes to the Purge Systems, but my PSV has not been operational for years now, and every once in a while it throws a code, which I simply clear and carry on. Anyways, point is I've had no issues whatsoever with fuel spitting out of the filler pipe with fill ups.

I do seem to remember reading something about the overflow being somehow blocked or pinched or something. Can't remember whether I read that here or elsewhere, but many years ago.

_3

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purge Valve was replaced by @McGuyver_3 as was the evaporative emissions vent solenoid when hunting an evap leak code about a year ago.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purge Valve was replaced by @McGuyver_3 as was the evaporative emissions vent solenoid when hunting an evap leak code about a year ago.
    This is where I would start hunting because you are getting a positive pressure in your tank while filling.
    If it is not venting properly it will "burp" at the end of a fill up to equalize the pressure in the tank.

Are you able to get a part diagram of the tank and evap system to see if you can hunt down a clog?