Thread: 2011 Mazda 3 HighBeam With DRL LED conversion

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2011 Mazda 3 HighBeam With DRL LED conversion

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have researched for long and didnt seem to get a solution yet... I like to change my high beam 9005 with DRL to LED. I understand there will be flickering issues and such. I know the iJDMtoys have a led conversion kit with harness that can solve this problem.

I am just wondering if there are any other options I can consider? Cause if I need to pay for cdn90 for that kit (with a pair of cheap bulbs that I can find elsewhere I dun think its quite justify)

I am currently running sealight H11 on low beam and it's working fine with nice cutoff.

I cannot stand the yellowish DRL halogen even I have already spent cdn35 on the Philips Crytsal Vision Ultra which is junk in my opinion.

I will be better if I can buy the kit from Canada so I dun need to pay extra deliver charges or import taxes.

Open for other options such as HID kit upgrade, but I am trying to keep things simple and minimal work here. As I am not a mechanic so I cant do all the rewiring and stuff.

Appreciate for any info and suggestions. I aplogoize if this thread topic have been covered before... I just cant found any direct relevant info

Thanks a lot!!

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2011 Mazda 3 HighBeam With DRL LED conversion

Pretty much the only option short of making it yourself.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I have used for 3 years in my car. I have to buy another bulbs, I'm stock now, but I will change it soon. You can't give flashes with high beam anymore, just a heads up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they legal?
    Lighting on vehicles should be designed to meet strict guidelines for dispersion and output ... aftermarket bulb manufacturers are notorious for making crap that screws up the OEM design and typically ends up blinding other drivers. This is especially true of LED "upgrades".

Food for thought ...

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LEDs are illegal and unsafe

if you want white light, and long life, modify a 9011 (HIR1) bulb to fit into the high beam socket... google it... it's perfectly safe although technically illegal... they have the same focal length and heat output as a 9005 (HB3) bulb but much longer life and twice the brightness, even without any special "extra vision" version... Osram and Philips makes excellent quality bulbs

for the low beam, modify a H9 bulb to fit into the low beam socket... google it also... I think it'll be fine in the 3's headlights as the H9 bulbs requires a shield within the projector or reflector housing for it to work right... the H11 bulb has a built in shield "cap" coated at the tip but the H9 doesn't... the H9 is much brighter but at the expense of life... so long as there's a shield in the headlight housing, it will be safe, although technically illegal

you will never get a satisfying performance from LED bulbs as their focal lengths are wrong, cannot produce the light in areas needed, are too bright in some places, too dim in others... increased glare and bad beam pattern are the norm... not only are they illegal, they're unsafe!

get HIR1 and H9 bulbs, and you'll be happy

I did a similar mod to my corolla beater... I put in HIR1 and HIR2 bulbs in it... nearly as bright as factory HIDs in other cars, no effect on beam pattern, no increased heat... just effective super bright light that's safe
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything that is not DOT approved is illegal

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the DOT doesn't "approve" anything... manufacturers are responsible for certifying that the produce meets the DOT regulations and marks them as such for sale... if the product is claimed to be DOT certified and is suspected of failing to meet those regulations, "DOT" (transport canada or NHTSA) will ask for the certification test results or ask for it to be tested.

while putting in HIR1 bulbs in a HB3 socket or H9 bulb in H11 is illegal, it's practically impossible to notice that it is illegal because despite it being much brighter, won't stick out like a sore thumb if the bulbs do not have any ricer blue coatings nor will it so because glare increase is very controlled as beam pattern changes are practically non-existent. These are safe and effective mods, unlike HIDs or LEDs which fail to produce the correct light focal length and therefore screws up the beam pattern bad enough that glare becomes a noticeable issue by cops
    Last edited by TheMAN; 02-05-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is not my responsibility to ensure the dot certification of that product is meeting the criteria or not.
    Pretty much anything that is not like original OEM is susceptible for being illegal, doesn't matter if is dot approved or not. If is dot approved but too bright for that car is illegal and you can be sued . The LED I have used are not bright at all, just white like he asked for, not dot certified .
    There are always consequences for everything you do in life, proceed with caution !

Last edited by LiviuTincu; 02-06-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiviuTincu View Post
    If is dot approved but too bright for that car, you can be sued . The LED I have used are not bright at all, just white like he asked for, not dot certified.
    It doesn't matter in the slightest how bright (or not bright) the LEDs are that you use, unless the lamp is designed to be used with your headlight assembly it is illegal.

I won't make the mistake of assuming the motive of others for posting in this thread, I only speak for myself ... recommending that someone use an unapproved headlight set up is illegal and most importantly dangerous. Years ago I spent a considerable amount of time researching this topic because I wanted to upgrade the headlights on my old work van. Before I started looking into it, I had no idea it was possible to buy aftermarket bulbs that were not legal to use on the road. I found CPF (CandlePowerForums) to be extremely helpful in this regard ... I highly recommend you browse through, especially the "Vehicle Lighting Laws & Regulations • Documents & Links" sticky created by Virgil.

My only interest here is to share information. As always, people must needs make there own decisions based on the information that they have ...

As far as the headlights on my old van, a number of people recommended Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA and I was really happy with them. Here is a link to the offerings they have for a 2011 Mazda 3 (High Beam).

Dan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find some OEM HID DRL on taller vehicles like trucks Vans and SUV's to be too bright.
    The brightness issue is sometimes alignment...OEM or aftermarket bulb

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump,,,, any help please?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Mspeed61

If you don't think there has been any help offered thus far, there may be something wrong with you ... I see 4 people that have all replied with helpful options.

On January 31, Hyperion suggested the kit you mentioned was pretty much the only option short of fabricating something yourself
    On February 2, LiviuTincu shared what they are using (sorry not sure if they are male or female)
    On February 5, TheMan suggested you could modify a HIR1 to fit
    On February 6, I recommended Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA as a direct fit and legal option

Seriously, none of this is helpful?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Destarah View Post
    It doesn't matter in the slightest how bright (or not bright) the LEDs are that you use, unless the lamp is designed to be used with your headlight assembly it is illegal.

I won't make the mistake of assuming the motive of others for posting in this thread, I only speak for myself ... recommending that someone use an unapproved headlight set up is illegal and most importantly dangerous. Years ago I spent a considerable amount of time researching this topic because I wanted to upgrade the headlights on my old work van. Before I started looking into it, I had no idea it was possible to buy aftermarket bulbs that were not legal to use on the road. I found CPF (CandlePowerForums) to be extremely helpful in this regard ... I highly recommend you browse through, especially the "Vehicle Lighting Laws & Regulations • Documents & Links" sticky created by Virgil.

My only interest here is to share information. As always, people must needs make there own decisions based on the information that they have ...

As far as the headlights on my old van, a number of people recommended Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA and I was really happy with them. Here is a link to the offerings they have for a 2011 Mazda 3 (High Beam).

Dan
    You are missing some important parts from what I said, but you can read again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    I find some OEM HID DRL on taller vehicles like trucks Vans and SUV's to be too bright.
    The brightness issue is sometimes alignment...OEM or aftermarket bulb
    I have found people driving with high beam all the time. Perfectly legal