Thread: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

Hi, I am new to the forum.

I currently bought a 2011 Mazda 3 GS 2.5L HB but not too happy abt its performance. I saw this Mazdaspeed 3 2013 on sell for 13k in calgary and wondering what you think abt its mod and price?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...tm_content=vip

Or instead of ditching another 5k into getting this (I bought my Madza3 for 7.8k) do you think I can get some mods on my current one for 5k to make it tune and safely perform better?

I used to drive a Mazdaspeed protege and this 2.5L just feel a bit lack of power for me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

I seen this beauty a couple of days ago it's a little modified in the engine aspect but it looks really maintained.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/mazdaspeed3/north york/ontario/5_42619328_20121016111019668/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&showVs=1&ursrc=mhl&orup=1 2_13_13&sprx=100&ts=1549974620251

I wouldn't dump mods into the 2.5L there are to many speeds for sale for what headaches wait for you while modding the 2.5.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mspeed61 View Post
    Hi, I am new to the forum.

I currently bought a 2011 Mazda 3 GS 2.5L HB but not too happy abt its performance. I saw this Mazdaspeed 3 2013 on sell for 13k in calgary and wondering what you think abt its mod and price?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...tm_content=vip

Or instead of ditching another 5k into getting this (I bought my Madza3 for 7.8k) do you think I can get some mods on my current one for 5k to make it tune and safely perform better?

I used to drive a Mazdaspeed protege and this 2.5L just feel a bit lack of power for me.
    I would not agree that mods & NA 2.5 ...easier to Mod a Non Turbo and less issues.
    There is no turbo and accompanying parts to upgrade and be concerning with...
    But 2.5 less HP potential....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That speed looks interesting. I would have a compression test performed before proceeding. You will also need to budget for an Access Port and a tune.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    That speed looks interesting. I would have a compression test performed before proceeding. You will also need to budget for an Access Port and a tune.
    I think its running a AP v3. What else should I be watching for its current mods list?

Again... Link to the car interested:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

One more question... usually how many KMs will the Speed need to change the clutch? And around how much labor to change a clutch in a tuner shop? (dun want to take it back to dealer)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspeed61 View Post
    I think its running a AP v3. What else should I be watching for its current mods list?

Again... Link to the car interested:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

One more question... usually how many KMs will the Speed need to change the clutch? And around how much labor to change a clutch in a tuner shop? (dun want to take it back to dealer)
    I swapped out oem clutch and flywheel for exedy stage 1 and race flywheel
    Mine took 5.5 hrs (shop rate was $90). but i also had Hel brake lines installed and system bled.
    Its same amount of labor to replace clutch or clutch & flywheel...

Totally agree with SFW on getting that compression test performed.
    That speed does look interesting...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Mspeed61 (02-13-2019)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    I swapped out oem clutch and flywheel for exedy stage 1 and race flywheel
    Mine took 5.5 hrs (shop rate was $90). but i also had Hel brake lines installed and system bled.
    Its same amount of labor to replace clutch or clutch & flywheel...

Totally agree with SFW on getting that compression test performed.
    That speed does look interesting...
    And what is consider "healthy" for a compression. Test? Sorry i am new to speed3 tech...

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No number for how many km to replace clutch. Really depends on the driver and mods.
    I have 170k on my MS3 and still original clutch.
    In terms of compression perfect would be 180 across all 4 cylinders. You are really looking for consistency. E.g. 160 across the board.
    If one cylinder is distinctly lower, e.g. 180, 140, 180,180 you have issues. If you get 160,160,160,160 you should be solid.

As for the AP that has likely been sold and reverted back to factory tune, which is not ideal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

Mspeed61 (02-15-2019)