Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

  1. #1
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    Hi, I am new to the forum.

    I currently bought a 2011 Mazda 3 GS 2.5L HB but not too happy abt its performance. I saw this Mazdaspeed 3 2013 on sell for 13k in calgary and wondering what you think abt its mod and price?

    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...tm_content=vip


    Or instead of ditching another 5k into getting this (I bought my Madza3 for 7.8k) do you think I can get some mods on my current one for 5k to make it tune and safely perform better?

    I used to drive a Mazdaspeed protege and this 2.5L just feel a bit lack of power for me.

  2. #2
    Newbie Daileydose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Pickering
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    I seen this beauty a couple of days ago it's a little modified in the engine aspect but it looks really maintained.

    https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/mazdaspeed3/north york/ontario/5_42619328_20121016111019668/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&showVs=1&ursrc=mhl&orup=1 2_13_13&sprx=100&ts=1549974620251

    I wouldn't dump mods into the 2.5L there are to many speeds for sale for what headaches wait for you while modding the 2.5.

  3. #3
    Jr Member G ~ MINI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Mspeed61 View Post
    Hi, I am new to the forum.

    I currently bought a 2011 Mazda 3 GS 2.5L HB but not too happy abt its performance. I saw this Mazdaspeed 3 2013 on sell for 13k in calgary and wondering what you think abt its mod and price?

    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...tm_content=vip


    Or instead of ditching another 5k into getting this (I bought my Madza3 for 7.8k) do you think I can get some mods on my current one for 5k to make it tune and safely perform better?

    I used to drive a Mazdaspeed protege and this 2.5L just feel a bit lack of power for me.
    I would not agree that mods & NA 2.5 ...easier to Mod a Non Turbo and less issues.
    There is no turbo and accompanying parts to upgrade and be concerning with...
    But 2.5 less HP potential....

  4. #4
    Moderator S.F.W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North York
    Age
    39
    Posts
    18,072
    Thanks
    939
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 722 Posts
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    That speed looks interesting. I would have a compression test performed before proceeding. You will also need to budget for an Access Port and a tune.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

  5. #5
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    That speed looks interesting. I would have a compression test performed before proceeding. You will also need to budget for an Access Port and a tune.
    I think its running a AP v3. What else should I be watching for its current mods list?

    Again... Link to the car interested:

    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

    One more question... usually how many KMs will the Speed need to change the clutch? And around how much labor to change a clutch in a tuner shop? (dun want to take it back to dealer)

  6. #6
    Jr Member G ~ MINI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    That speed looks interesting. I would have a compression test performed before proceeding. You will also need to budget for an Access Port and a tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspeed61 View Post
    I think its running a AP v3. What else should I be watching for its current mods list?

    Again... Link to the car interested:

    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

    One more question... usually how many KMs will the Speed need to change the clutch? And around how much labor to change a clutch in a tuner shop? (dun want to take it back to dealer)
    I swapped out oem clutch and flywheel for exedy stage 1 and race flywheel
    Mine took 5.5 hrs (shop rate was $90). but i also had Hel brake lines installed and system bled.
    Its same amount of labor to replace clutch or clutch & flywheel...

    Totally agree with SFW on getting that compression test performed.
    That speed does look interesting...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

    Mspeed61 (02-13-2019)

  8. #7
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    I swapped out oem clutch and flywheel for exedy stage 1 and race flywheel
    Mine took 5.5 hrs (shop rate was $90). but i also had Hel brake lines installed and system bled.
    Its same amount of labor to replace clutch or clutch & flywheel...

    Totally agree with SFW on getting that compression test performed.
    That speed does look interesting...
    And what is consider "healthy" for a compression. Test? Sorry i am new to speed3 tech...

    Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Moderator S.F.W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North York
    Age
    39
    Posts
    18,072
    Thanks
    939
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 722 Posts
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Considering upgrade to this 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, now driving gen2 mazda3 2.5

    No number for how many km to replace clutch. Really depends on the driver and mods.
    I have 170k on my MS3 and still original clutch.
    In terms of compression perfect would be 180 across all 4 cylinders. You are really looking for consistency. E.g. 160 across the board.
    If one cylinder is distinctly lower, e.g. 180, 140, 180,180 you have issues. If you get 160,160,160,160 you should be solid.

    As for the AP that has likely been sold and reverted back to factory tune, which is not ideal.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

    Mspeed61 (02-15-2019)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 247
    Last Post: 12-18-2016, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •