Thread: 2005 Mazda 3 Brake Issue

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2005 Mazda 3 Brake Issue

2005 Mazda 3 Sport Gt .... brake pedal is very mushy and pedal goes close to floor. Have replaced pads, rotors, brake fluid, emergency brake cable and second master cylinder....all Mazda OE parts. Pedal feel has not changed. Am I missing something....calipers appear fine and no leaks evident anywhere... brake fluid level in master cylinder has not changed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Brake Issue

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1500 View Post
    2005 Mazda 3 Sport Gt .... brake pedal is very mushy and pedal goes close to floor. Have replaced pads, rotors, brake fluid, emergency brake cable and second master cylinder....all Mazda OE parts. Pedal feel has not changed. Am I missing something....calipers appear fine and no leaks evident anywhere... brake fluid level in master cylinder has not changed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    A mushy peddle is usually a sign of air in the system. Also curious; Once completely stopped at a light, do you feel the peddle slowly going down?

You had the master cylinder replaced twice?

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can certainly push it down further if I apply pressure.... also note that this condition existed prior to replacing all parts including both master cylinders. The first master was an aftermarket unit .... replaced with an OEM when issue persisted. Is there a brake booster in this car? what am I missing? Also, ABS light is still active when you turn the key to on....it has never come on while the car is running.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can certainly push it down further if I apply pressure.... also note that this condition existed prior to replacing all parts including both master cylinders. The first master was an aftermarket unit .... replaced with an OEM when issue persisted. Is there a brake booster in this car? what am I missing? Also, ABS light is still active when you turn the key to on....it has never come on while the car is running.

Also, all work done at the Mazda Dealer

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be taking it back to that dealer for sure

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was interesting. Finally got the car out of hibernation and off to the dealer. My issue with what I thought was a mushy pedal and low pedal turned out to be....wait for it.....an adjustment to the rear parking brake so that the piston was in closer contact to the rotor. Now the brake pedal has little travel and makes firm contact. Oh joy!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was interesting. Finally got the car out of hibernation and off to the dealer. My issue with what I thought was a mushy pedal and low pedal turned out to be....wait for it.....an adjustment to the rear parking brake so that the piston was in closer contact to the rotor. Now the brake pedal has little travel and makes firm contact. Oh joy!
    wow ..interesting
    Moral of the story ...service/clean/lube/adjust your brakes regularly

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    wow ..interesting
    Moral of the story ...service/clean/lube/adjust your brakes regularly
    Not quite....vehicle had a complete brake job ( all OEM parts ) including parking brake cable and fluid flush in April 2018 and was parked from November to the end of March 2019. I think this was an unusual issue. Having said that you are completely correct. I have experienced the problem of not lubing the sliders on my Honda CRV.....result frozen caliper and burned out rotor... after 1.5 years of not lubing them. I think some of the moral of the story is.....I read on another post, true or not, that lack of use of the parking brake causes the self adjuster and the caliper piston to NOT keep in close contact with the rotor....hence the long pedal travel. My personal moral .use the parking brake more often. I am only thankful that it was not an ABS issue $$$$$$$$.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TrueDat on the ABS.
    Maybe because i use the hand brake all time and when the dealer says its time do a brake service/lube/fluid flush ..i just say do it...
    I have not had any issues with brakes. Maybe even getting the guts of the car sprayed with Krown every year helps keep corrosion out and everything lubed too.
    Only recently April 2018 i replaced rotors and pads. I was on original rotors and pads since Dec 2012.