Thread: 2013 Mazda 3 sport loud bass from stock system (non-Bose) blew my speakers

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2013 Mazda 3 sport loud bass from stock system (non-Bose) blew my speakers

I got my 2013 Mazda 3 Sport certified used just last year, and one of the first things I noticed was the overpowering bass on the stock (non-Bose) system. It's so loud that I currently have it turned to -4 and it's still a little bass heavy. To my surprise, my speakers are now blown and crackle, and I'm left wondering how this is possible. How do stock speakers blow when they're matched with a stock head unit from the factory? This is the first time I've blown factory speakers and that includes the Honda Civic I had for 16 years that had 350,000 KM's on it.

Is there something wrong with the system? Is it normal to have to turn the bass to -4 just to get it to sound normal?

Could the previous owner have turned up the bass on the headunit somehow outside of the Trebel/Bass/Fade/Bal control on the unit itself?

I guess I have no choice but to get aftermarket speakers now.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2013 Mazda 3 sport loud bass from stock system (non-Bose) blew my speakers

It's possible that someone modified the original audio system and then "returned it to stock" before getting rid of the car. I still have all the original audio equipment from my 2012 Mazda 3 Sport GS Sky (non-Bose) if you would rather not use aftermarket. Where are you located, I live near Newmarket.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2013 Mazda 3 sport loud bass from stock system (non-Bose) blew my speakers

I have a 2013 with the optional Bose system and my friend has a non bose car. Same problem on his....overpowering muddy bass.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Destarah View Post
    It's possible that someone modified the original audio system and then "returned it to stock" before getting rid of the car. I still have all the original audio equipment from my 2012 Mazda 3 Sport GS Sky (non-Bose) if you would rather not use aftermarket. Where are you located, I live near Newmarket.
    Yes, I suppose it's possible someone put in lower quality or old speakers.

I work in Richmond Hill so I'm not too far. If the price is right I may consider taking the speakers off your hands, although at this point I'm not sure that replacing blown stock speakers with new stock speakers is the right solution.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update, in case it's helpful to anyone. There was no issue with the speakers. It turns out using the aux input was somehow boosting the signal, and causing the speakers to crackle, even on certain tracks when it was just treble, which also explained why I had to turn the bass all the way down just to make it sound normal.

I realized I could plug my iphone directly into the USB using Apple car play, and it sounds normal now. No more artificially boosted bass, and no more crackling.

It's just too bad I had to replace my front speakers to find out (because the crackling was still there), and accidentally cut my power window wires thinking it was the speaker wire in the process *facepalm*

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just to make a note. the cars without "bose" speakers are still bose speakers they just listed the parts for the cars with bose as bose high and the ones without bose as bose low. unless that has changed but still made by them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut