Thread: Having trouble giving up my car

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Having trouble giving up my car

Theres a bolt in the rear suspension that broke, as I was going to change the strut tower mount for a second year in a row 🙄, and now this car sits in the driveway awaiting my decision.

It's a 2007 speed 3 with 344,000km and turbo that could blow any minute, no working ac due to a damaged condenser, one headlight out and soft metal in the rear Jack points making lifting it, interesting...

I also have to add over a quart of oil every 300km or it will seize.

However, I've owned it for 7 years, and I am finding it almost impossible to get rid of emotionally. The Retire Your Ride program got an offer of $416 from a local yard, and I haven't said yes yet, but may decide by tomorrow.

Any opinions? Would it be crazy either way? Could cost $200 to repair when all said and done, then who knows how long before something else. If sold, I would buy a bicycle to get to work etc. Rain or shine.

Give me your opinions.
    Check Out My Workout Supplement Blog!
    Engine: JBR 88 Duro RMM . Suspension: Bilstein B8, Cobb Springs

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Having trouble giving up my car

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Theres a bolt in the rear suspension that broke, as I was going to change the strut tower mount for a second year in a row ��, and now this car sits in the driveway awaiting my decision.

It's a 2007 speed 3 with 344,000km and turbo that could blow any minute, no working ac due to a damaged condenser, one headlight out and soft metal in the rear Jack points making lifting it, interesting...

I also have to add over a quart of oil every 300km or it will seize.

However, I've owned it for 7 years, and I am finding it almost impossible to get rid of emotionally. The Retire Your Ride program got an offer of $416 from a local yard, and I haven't said yes yet, but may decide by tomorrow.

Any opinions? Would it be crazy either way? Could cost $200 to repair when all said and done, then who knows how long before something else. If sold, I would buy a bicycle to get to work etc. Rain or shine.

Give me your opinions.
    How bad is the rust and what the compression on the engine? Those are the two key items that would determine my decision.

It sounds like the car needs a full refresh done on it to make it last. If the body is clean the mechanical work may be worth it, if you do it yourself.
    The value of the car, as it sits, is lower because the repairs but if the repairs cost more than it's worth then it would make my decision easy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That value was given without knowing anything aside from what car it is and the odo.

The body has a broken from grill, rust on every door bottom, rust on rear hood at both lights. I haven't checked compression but at times it sounds like it isnt firing well when cold and frequently has the warning saying its misfiring according to the reader.

I feel my sentimental attachment is weighing so heavily because we tend to get attached to out cars. When I just look at it I love it dearly, but when I break it down on paper it seems to go the other way.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to trade in my 07 when I bought my truck....bought the truck and kept the 07 mazda. However sounds like your mazda's glory days are behind her. I think it is time to move on. Doesn't sound like your speed 3 can be driven the way it was designed my Mazda too.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344K is a lot, I'd say she's lived a full life and wants to rest now. You'll remember her fondly while enjoying your new car

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Mazda For This Useful Post:

shift8 (06-08-2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you definitely have alot of issues.
    The 2007 my son drives (non turbo) , rust is and continue to will be biggest issue to deal with.
    Luckily his is under 100K mileage. If you love it so much...let it go.
    Many older speeds and non with less issues.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure now that letting it go and have the parts used for other cars is the best way to end the road for this one.

eric

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having the same problem facing the music with mine.. I'm the original owner of my 2007 Speed3 and it has 192k on it. The AC is gone and need new summer tires so facing that fork in the road..
    What's worse is my wife has a 2008 GT with matching stripes and wheels.. so if I replace one I'd feel compelled to replace them both..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's just AC and tires why would you replace at only 192k km? Unless there is more to it like rust and/or expensive repairs upcoming that you know about?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    If it's just AC and tires why would you replace at only 192k km? Unless there is more to it like rust and/or expensive repairs upcoming that you know about?
    you should scrap it and move on. the cost for what the cars worth to the condition and safety of the body is not going to be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Scottobot View Post
    I'm having the same problem facing the music with mine.. I'm the original owner of my 2007 Speed3 and it has 192k on it. The AC is gone and need new summer tires so facing that fork in the road..
    What's worse is my wife has a 2008 GT with matching stripes and wheels.. so if I replace one I'd feel compelled to replace them both..
    oh come on fix yours. new tires. what 1000 bucks maybe and some ac, even if its a compressor and condenser its still cheaper to fix vs getting into a new car payment. and with no speed 3 option what would be the replacement?

ive seen yours and its in almost as good body shape and running shape as it should be. id say keep it and fix it. also if you replace the car. i wouldnt do both for no reason unless theres something wrong with the wifes. and its not like your going to put stripes on the next mazda 3 ( if thats what you got) i dont think the new gens would look as good as yours does now that way.

but if you sell it let me know ill pass on the info maybe someone i know would want to pick it up
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came to the decision to give up my car today, I feel your pain. Consider it moving on to something new.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel for you man. It's the memories you made with the car that make it hard. Once I cleaned my stuff out of the car I started feeling better already.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to feel like I'll have to do the same, except my car is still in mint condition and hasn't even hit 100K. Considering I will be moving to Finland in the near future, it just might not be worth the trouble and import/licensing fees to bring over a car that's gonna end up costing a lot to maintain and run with the price of gas there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mazda View Post
    I'm starting to feel like I'll have to do the same, except my car is still in mint condition and hasn't even hit 100K. Considering I will be moving to Finland in the near future, it just might not be worth the trouble and import/licensing fees to bring over a car that's gonna end up costing a lot to maintain and run with the price of gas there.
    If you are considering parting out your car ..I'll take your RTX