Hello Guest, on July 19th Mazda Canada is hosting a celebration of 50 Years in Canada. The evnet runs from 3pm - 7pm, and is free to attend. Registration is required. There will be give aways, product displays, and a chance to interact with Mazda staff. More details including registration link 50th Anniversary Event
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 96

Thread: Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs

  1. #1
    Sr Member bluntman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    46
    Ride
    2011 KIA Sportage SX
    Posts
    6,770
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs

    Last edited by cwp_sedan; 06-23-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: link fixed
    flickr

    "boom goes the dynamite"

  2. #2
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by xg3
    update...

    under the dash the fuse box, 7.5amp FUSE IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT FOR THE HIDS now hook up to these lights. one of mine blew.. and i replaced them with 20 amps fuse.(my old car used 20amps for same hid kits and was fine for 2 years) .
    in the M3F thread, PhilGood makes reference to using a relay...

    as referenced in here

    \"The best relays to use in setting up a headlamp circuit have dual 87 terminals. That lets you use one 87 terminal to power the left filament, and the other 87 terminal to power the right filament in whatever circuit you\'re building (low beam, high beam, fog lamp, etc.).\"

    Canadian Tire sells these exact relays for $5.99 ...check the automotive fuse section.

  3. #3
    Jr Member triplezoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    As of now, i have tapped my hid + wire to the signal wire and has been succesful in bypassing the original DRL setting (hence no more flickering). However, having read over some threads, would it be safe to use this DRL bypass wiring with just low-voltage tapins (e.g. no relays, no switch)? Will i blow a fuse?
    Heres a link to what i followed (credits to Devin)

  4. #4
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by triplezoom


    As of now, i have tapped my hid + wire to the signal wire and has been succesful in bypassing the original DRL setting (hence no more flickering). However, having read over some threads, would it be safe to use this DRL bypass wiring with just low-voltage tapins (e.g. no relays, no switch)? Will i blow a fuse?
    Heres a link to what i followed (credits to Devin)
    yes you will blow a fuse. the turn signal is fused at 7.5A and the stock headlights are fused at 15A.

    a better thing to do would be to use the wire from the tap-in and use that as the switch input on a headlight relay (can be had from Canadian Tire for $5.99 with a dual output...i.e. one tap-in to trigger the relay and one relay for both headlights.

  5. #5
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by triplezoom


    Heres a link to what i followed (credits to Devin)
    thanks Devin now i know which wire i need to tap into

  6. #6
    Jr Member triplezoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by MajesticBlueN


    Originally posted by triplezoom


    As of now, i have tapped my hid + wire to the signal wire and has been succesful in bypassing the original DRL setting (hence no more flickering). However, having read over some threads, would it be safe to use this DRL bypass wiring with just low-voltage tapins (e.g. no relays, no switch)? Will i blow a fuse?
    Heres a link to what i followed (credits to Devin)
    yes you will blow a fuse. the turn signal is fused at 7.5A and the stock headlights are fused at 15A.

    a better thing to do would be to use the wire from the tap-in and use that as the switch input on a headlight relay (can be had from Canadian Tire for $5.99 with a dual output...i.e. one tap-in to trigger the relay and one relay for both headlights.
    So what your saying is instead of directly tapping the signal wire to the hid, i should first tap the signal wire to an input relay which willthen \"dual tap out\" (lol) to the hid lights. So does that mean i only need to do it for one side only and it will power up both the left and right hids?

  7. #7
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by triplezoom


    So what your saying is instead of directly tapping the signal wire to the hid, i should first tap the signal wire to an input relay which willthen \"dual tap out\" (lol) to the hid lights. So does that mean i only need to do it for one side only and it will power up both the left and right hids?
    there\'s more wires involved with the relay.

    one fused (20A should be good) 12V input wired to the battery, one ground wire (plugged into the OEM headlight harness negative), the switch wire (which is your current tapped signal wire), and the wires going to the HID positive.

    with the \"dual output\" relay, you only need your current tap on that one side to power up both the left and right HIDs.

    with a single output relay, you need a relay for both sides. i\'ve seen the single output \"automotive\" relays at radioshack for $4.99. the dual output i\'ve seen at Canadian Tire for $5.99.

  8. #8
    Jr Member triplezoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    So is it kinda like the diagram in my attachment? where the switch is the signal wire? sry kinda newbish to this relaying wiring drl stuff.

  9. #9
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by triplezoom


    So is it kinda like the diagram in my attachment? where the switch is the signal wire? sry kinda newbish to this relaying wiring drl stuff.
    yup, 86 is the wire that was tapped from the signal wire.

    85 is the OEM headlight harness -ve

    you also don\'t need a 15A fuse on the 87 to HID +ve since the 30A fuse on the \"30\" wire takes care of that.

  10. #10
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    So, what does the \"30\" slot do in the relay??

    Never mind my quesiton, I don\'t know what I\'m asking arc

  11. #11
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by chaser


    So, what does the \"30\" slot do in the relay??

    Never mind my quesiton, I don\'t know what I\'m asking arc
    more info here

  12. #12
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    MajesticBlueN, thanks for the xtra info
    If I follow this diagram, where is a good place to ground the ballasts? Provided that 86 from the relay is grounded to the stock headlight connector (black wire). Or can I ground 86 to elsewhere, leaving the stock headlight connector for ballast grounding? Thx

  13. #13
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by chaser


    MajesticBlueN, thanks for the xtra info
    If I follow this diagram, where is a good place to ground the ballasts? Provided that 86 from the relay is grounded to the stock headlight connector (black wire). Or can I ground 86 to elsewhere, leaving the stock headlight connector for ballast grounding? Thx
    no problem

    more info can be found here - Credit: Daniel Stern Lighting

    ground the ballasts to somewhere on the body of the car. on the driver\'s side you can use the battery ground point. on the passenger\'s side, there should be a chassis bolt close by. you\'ll need to make a wire with a female connector on one end and a ring terminal on the other end.

  14. #14
    Jr Member triplezoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Anothe

    Thx Maj and chaser, it all makes sense now! I can find all the materials at crappy tire/radio shack right?

  15. #15
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    MBN rocks!!

    For the 3 groundings (2 from the ballasts, 1 from the relay (85)), does it matter which grounding point they connect to? Can I ground the ballasts with the included male connector to the stock headlight holder and ground the relay to the battery\'s -ve terminal or any body grounding point? If I can do it this way, I can save myself some time and $ to make the grounding wires. THX!!

  16. #16
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by chaser


    MBN rocks!!

    For the 3 groundings (2 from the ballasts, 1 from the relay (85)), does it matter which grounding point they connect to? Can I ground the ballasts with the included male connector to the stock headlight holder and ground the relay to the battery\'s -ve terminal or any body grounding point? If I can do it this way, I can save myself some time and $ to make the grounding wires. THX!!
    you can give it a try, i don\'t see why it wouldn\'t work. let us know how it goes

  17. #17
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    I\'m looking for 12 or 14 gauge wire that is good for at least 105C (degree). I tried a Cantire store in Markham and some electronic store but couldn\'t find any. Anyone has any idea?

  18. #18
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by chaser


    I\'m looking for 12 or 14 gauge wire that is good for at least 105C (degree). I tried a Cantire store in Markham and some electronic store but couldn\'t find any. Anyone has any idea?
    wal-mart ...check the car audio section. it\'ll be in a container with a black backing and a round plastic holder. it has a tab at the back so you can pull the wire out to your desired length easily.

    i think it\'s around $3-6 (can\'t remember) and the length gets less the lower the gauge of the wire. but you get at least 10 metres of both.

  19. #19
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Finally got the HID installed last night, using the method/wiring diagram outlined above. I turned on the parking lights to test the HIDs and they worked fine. Today I drove to office with the HIDs turned on. When I got to the office and turned off the HIDs (parking lights), I realized the HIDs were still on. Even I took out the key, they still stayed on. I didn\'t have time to troubleshoot but took out the fuse between the relay and battery. What has gone wrong?! The only thing I can think of now is relay failure. Last night I could turn it on/off without problem. Any other idea?

  20. #20
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by chaser


    Finally got the HID installed last night, using the method/wiring diagram outlined above. I turned on the parking lights to test the HIDs and they worked fine. Today I drove to office with the HIDs turned on. When I got to the office and turned off the HIDs (parking lights), I realized the HIDs were still on. Even I took out the key, they still stayed on. I didn\'t have time to troubleshoot but took out the fuse between the relay and battery. What has gone wrong?! The only thing I can think of now is relay failure. Last night I could turn it on/off without problem. Any other idea?
    the relay ground wire...is it hooked into the OEM harness -ve? or is it grounded to the chassis?

    were your parking lights still on after you turned the switch to off?

  21. #21
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by MajesticBlueN


    Originally posted by chaser


    Finally got the HID installed last night, using the method/wiring diagram outlined above. I turned on the parking lights to test the HIDs and they worked fine. Today I drove to office with the HIDs turned on. When I got to the office and turned off the HIDs (parking lights), I realized the HIDs were still on. Even I took out the key, they still stayed on. I didn\'t have time to troubleshoot but took out the fuse between the relay and battery. What has gone wrong?! The only thing I can think of now is relay failure. Last night I could turn it on/off without problem. Any other idea?
    the relay ground wire...is it hooked into the OEM harness -ve? or is it grounded to the chassis?

    were your parking lights still on after you turned the switch to off?
    The ground from the relay (85) I grounded it to the chassis. Yes, the parking lights were off when I switched them off.

  22. #22
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by chaser

    The ground from the relay (85) I grounded it to the chassis. Yes, the parking lights were off when I switched them off.
    do you have one relay controlling both HID bulbs (the one from CanTire that has a dual 87 output)? or one relay per side?

    check the tap connection to the parking light wire. if that is good, try hooking the 85 wire to the OEM headlight harness -ve and ground the HID bulb to the chassis.

    for some reason, the relay isn\'t switching off....it could be the relay, or it could be because the lights are ground-switched.

  23. #23
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

    do you have one relay controlling both HID bulbs (the one from CanTire that has a dual 87 output)? or one relay per side?

    check the tap connection to the parking light wire. if that is good, try hooking the 85 wire to the OEM headlight harness -ve and ground the HID bulb to the chassis.

    for some reason, the relay isn\'t switching off....it could be the relay, or it could be because the lights are ground-switched.
    I\'ve the dual 87 relay from CanTire. I grounded the ballasts to the stock headlights\' -ve slots. That\'s what I\'m thinking too - for some reason the relay doesn\'t switched off.

    Just went to pop up the hood and put back the fuse. The HIDs went on (switch is off). Then I gave the fuse a few taps. Guess what, the HIDs went off! So, now I\'m thinking, does the position/placement of the relay matter?? I put the relay \"horizontally\" (the connectors pointing horizontally, not vertically)in front of the battery box.
    Looks like the problem is caused by 85 and 86 or the relay. Will look at the connections after work.

  24. #24
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    663
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Update ...
    After I gave the relay a few taps in the afternoon, the HIDs turn on/off when I turn on/off the parking signals ... werid arc Didn\'t have problem throughout the night.

    Is that mean our headlight circuit is NOT a \"Ground-switched\" one?

  25. #25
    Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    MajesticBlueNTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

    Originally posted by chaser


    Update ...
    After I gave the relay a few taps in the afternoon, the HIDs turn on/off when I turn on/off the parking signals ... werid arc Didn\'t have problem throughout the night.

    Is that mean our headlight circuit is NOT a \"Ground-switched\" one?
    i guess so.

    good stuff with the install

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •