Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Another possible DRL bypass for HIDs\'

Originally posted by xg3
    update...

under the dash the fuse box, 7.5amp FUSE IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT FOR THE HIDS now hook up to these lights. one of mine blew.. and i replaced them with 20 amps fuse.(my old car used 20amps for same hid kits and was fine for 2 years) .
    in the M3F thread, PhilGood makes reference to using a relay...

as referenced in here

\"The best relays to use in setting up a headlamp circuit have dual 87 terminals. That lets you use one 87 terminal to power the left filament, and the other 87 terminal to power the right filament in whatever circuit you\'re building (low beam, high beam, fog lamp, etc.).\"

Canadian Tire sells these exact relays for $5.99 ...check the automotive fuse section.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of now, i have tapped my hid + wire to the signal wire and has been succesful in bypassing the original DRL setting (hence no more flickering). However, having read over some threads, would it be safe to use this DRL bypass wiring with just low-voltage tapins (e.g. no relays, no switch)? Will i blow a fuse?
    Heres a link to what i followed (credits to Devin)

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by triplezoom

As of now, i have tapped my hid + wire to the signal wire and has been succesful in bypassing the original DRL setting (hence no more flickering). However, having read over some threads, would it be safe to use this DRL bypass wiring with just low-voltage tapins (e.g. no relays, no switch)? Will i blow a fuse?
    yes you will blow a fuse. the turn signal is fused at 7.5A and the stock headlights are fused at 15A.

a better thing to do would be to use the wire from the tap-in and use that as the switch input on a headlight relay (can be had from Canadian Tire for $5.99 with a dual output...i.e. one tap-in to trigger the relay and one relay for both headlights.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Devin now i know which wire i need to tap into

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

yes you will blow a fuse. the turn signal is fused at 7.5A and the stock headlights are fused at 15A.

a better thing to do would be to use the wire from the tap-in and use that as the switch input on a headlight relay (can be had from Canadian Tire for $5.99 with a dual output...i.e. one tap-in to trigger the relay and one relay for both headlights.
    So what your saying is instead of directly tapping the signal wire to the hid, i should first tap the signal wire to an input relay which willthen \"dual tap out\" (lol) to the hid lights. So does that mean i only need to do it for one side only and it will power up both the left and right hids?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what your saying is instead of directly tapping the signal wire to the hid, i should first tap the signal wire to an input relay which willthen \"dual tap out\" (lol) to the hid lights. So does that mean i only need to do it for one side only and it will power up both the left and right hids?
    there\'s more wires involved with the relay.

one fused (20A should be good) 12V input wired to the battery, one ground wire (plugged into the OEM headlight harness negative), the switch wire (which is your current tapped signal wire), and the wires going to the HID positive.

with the \"dual output\" relay, you only need your current tap on that one side to power up both the left and right HIDs.

with a single output relay, you need a relay for both sides. i\'ve seen the single output \"automotive\" relays at radioshack for $4.99. the dual output i\'ve seen at Canadian Tire for $5.99.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is it kinda like the diagram in my attachment? where the switch is the signal wire? sry kinda newbish to this relaying wiring drl stuff.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is it kinda like the diagram in my attachment? where the switch is the signal wire? sry kinda newbish to this relaying wiring drl stuff.
    yup, 86 is the wire that was tapped from the signal wire.

85 is the OEM headlight harness -ve

you also don\'t need a 15A fuse on the 87 to HID +ve since the 30A fuse on the \"30\" wire takes care of that.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, what does the \"30\" slot do in the relay??

Never mind my quesiton, I don\'t know what I\'m asking arc

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by chaser

So, what does the \"30\" slot do in the relay??

Never mind my quesiton, I don\'t know what I\'m asking arc
    more info here

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MajesticBlueN, thanks for the xtra info
    If I follow this diagram, where is a good place to ground the ballasts? Provided that 86 from the relay is grounded to the stock headlight connector (black wire). Or can I ground 86 to elsewhere, leaving the stock headlight connector for ballast grounding? Thx

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MajesticBlueN, thanks for the xtra info
    If I follow this diagram, where is a good place to ground the ballasts? Provided that 86 from the relay is grounded to the stock headlight connector (black wire). Or can I ground 86 to elsewhere, leaving the stock headlight connector for ballast grounding? Thx
    no problem

more info can be found here - Credit: Daniel Stern Lighting

ground the ballasts to somewhere on the body of the car. on the driver\'s side you can use the battery ground point. on the passenger\'s side, there should be a chassis bolt close by. you\'ll need to make a wire with a female connector on one end and a ring terminal on the other end.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Anothe

Thx Maj and chaser, it all makes sense now! I can find all the materials at crappy tire/radio shack right?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MBN rocks!!

For the 3 groundings (2 from the ballasts, 1 from the relay (85)), does it matter which grounding point they connect to? Can I ground the ballasts with the included male connector to the stock headlight holder and ground the relay to the battery\'s -ve terminal or any body grounding point? If I can do it this way, I can save myself some time and $ to make the grounding wires. THX!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MBN rocks!!

For the 3 groundings (2 from the ballasts, 1 from the relay (85)), does it matter which grounding point they connect to? Can I ground the ballasts with the included male connector to the stock headlight holder and ground the relay to the battery\'s -ve terminal or any body grounding point? If I can do it this way, I can save myself some time and $ to make the grounding wires. THX!!
    you can give it a try, i don\'t see why it wouldn\'t work. let us know how it goes

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I\'m looking for 12 or 14 gauge wire that is good for at least 105C (degree). I tried a Cantire store in Markham and some electronic store but couldn\'t find any. Anyone has any idea?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I\'m looking for 12 or 14 gauge wire that is good for at least 105C (degree). I tried a Cantire store in Markham and some electronic store but couldn\'t find any. Anyone has any idea?
    wal-mart ...check the car audio section. it\'ll be in a container with a black backing and a round plastic holder. it has a tab at the back so you can pull the wire out to your desired length easily.

i think it\'s around $3-6 (can\'t remember) and the length gets less the lower the gauge of the wire. but you get at least 10 metres of both.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got the HID installed last night, using the method/wiring diagram outlined above. I turned on the parking lights to test the HIDs and they worked fine. Today I drove to office with the HIDs turned on. When I got to the office and turned off the HIDs (parking lights), I realized the HIDs were still on. Even I took out the key, they still stayed on. I didn\'t have time to troubleshoot but took out the fuse between the relay and battery. What has gone wrong?! The only thing I can think of now is relay failure. Last night I could turn it on/off without problem. Any other idea?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got the HID installed last night, using the method/wiring diagram outlined above. I turned on the parking lights to test the HIDs and they worked fine. Today I drove to office with the HIDs turned on. When I got to the office and turned off the HIDs (parking lights), I realized the HIDs were still on. Even I took out the key, they still stayed on. I didn\'t have time to troubleshoot but took out the fuse between the relay and battery. What has gone wrong?! The only thing I can think of now is relay failure. Last night I could turn it on/off without problem. Any other idea?
    the relay ground wire...is it hooked into the OEM harness -ve? or is it grounded to the chassis?

were your parking lights still on after you turned the switch to off?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the relay ground wire...is it hooked into the OEM harness -ve? or is it grounded to the chassis?

were your parking lights still on after you turned the switch to off?
    The ground from the relay (85) I grounded it to the chassis. Yes, the parking lights were off when I switched them off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ground from the relay (85) I grounded it to the chassis. Yes, the parking lights were off when I switched them off.
    do you have one relay controlling both HID bulbs (the one from CanTire that has a dual 87 output)? or one relay per side?

check the tap connection to the parking light wire. if that is good, try hooking the 85 wire to the OEM headlight harness -ve and ground the HID bulb to the chassis.

for some reason, the relay isn\'t switching off....it could be the relay, or it could be because the lights are ground-switched.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have one relay controlling both HID bulbs (the one from CanTire that has a dual 87 output)? or one relay per side?

check the tap connection to the parking light wire. if that is good, try hooking the 85 wire to the OEM headlight harness -ve and ground the HID bulb to the chassis.

for some reason, the relay isn\'t switching off....it could be the relay, or it could be because the lights are ground-switched.
    I\'ve the dual 87 relay from CanTire. I grounded the ballasts to the stock headlights\' -ve slots. That\'s what I\'m thinking too - for some reason the relay doesn\'t switched off.

Just went to pop up the hood and put back the fuse. The HIDs went on (switch is off). Then I gave the fuse a few taps. Guess what, the HIDs went off! So, now I\'m thinking, does the position/placement of the relay matter?? I put the relay \"horizontally\" (the connectors pointing horizontally, not vertically)in front of the battery box.
    Looks like the problem is caused by 85 and 86 or the relay. Will look at the connections after work.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update ...
    After I gave the relay a few taps in the afternoon, the HIDs turn on/off when I turn on/off the parking signals ... werid arc Didn\'t have problem throughout the night.

Is that mean our headlight circuit is NOT a \"Ground-switched\" one?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update ...
    After I gave the relay a few taps in the afternoon, the HIDs turn on/off when I turn on/off the parking signals ... werid arc Didn\'t have problem throughout the night.

Is that mean our headlight circuit is NOT a \"Ground-switched\" one?
    i guess so.

good stuff with the install

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast