Thread: 2006 MAZDA 3 SEDAN - Intermittent No Crank/Start Issue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2006 MAZDA 3 SEDAN - Intermittent No Crank/Start Issue

Alright folks - it's been some time since I've been on here, perhaps someone can help as I am completely stumped. I don't want to go replacing things I don't need to if we can target the issue here..

Long story short, my vehicle has been having intermittent issues through-out the year which i believed to be related to the clutch switches behind the pedals. The one that is already compressed (lower switch behind the clutch pedal) and the one that gets compressed when you push the clutch in (top switch behind the clutch pedal). When this issue first started - about 1.5 years ago, the top switch was giving out (I had to press the clutch in really hard to be able to start the car). Given the switches were very cheap, i decided to replace both. This fixed the hard stepping maneuver for sometime until a few weeks ago my car decided not to start. On some days when being left alone on my driveway for a couple days, the car would start... however 2 weeks ago when I drove to work, the car wouldn't start... its very on and off and currently has been sitting on my driveway for 2 weeks now.

Somethings to note:

• My car won't start, crank, or turn over - but the dash lights & radio turn on. No click present.
    • My battery is brand new, I bought it at the beginning of the year. I've also checked the charge and it is holding the voltage it's supposed to be at. Connections are clean and tight.
    • I briefly checked all fuses under the hood related to the starting system and swapped out what I could with a friends 3. They seemed to be fine.
    • What fuses should I check for under the floorboard? Should check them 1 by 1? If i recall, theres nothing related to the starting system under there? (Although I might be wrong)

Assumptions:

• Corroded wire to the starter or bad starter in general
    • Ignition switch has gone bad (I've experienced this before on my previous 3, but it doesn't have the same symptoms as my current car right now. When mine went bad on my previous 3, the car would lose power while driving, issues with dash and powering on accessories... not the case for my car)

Apologize for the long read.

TLDR; car won't start, crank, or turn over. replaced both clutch switches over a period of time, worked for about a year then died. VERY intermittent.

Appreciate the help in advance!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2006 MAZDA 3 SEDAN - Intermittent No Crank/Start Issue

ADDITION: There were no engine codes present when the car was running that day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suspect the starter or simply the wire to the starter. Some 3s did have issues with that wire/cable right at the starter corroding bad.

_3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

MK519 (07-29-2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, replaced the starter. car starts like a gem again minus a/c issues lol. the top bolt for the bracket and starter location is a b**** to get to. haha