Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

  1. #1
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    I know this question is hard to answer... but I'd like to see if anyone has experience selling a 1st gen. There are tons on autotrader/kijiji/fb, but I don't want to just give my wife's 3 away for peanuts. I'm looking for an upgrade towards the end of the year.

    Hers is a 1st gen GS sedan, manual, 205k km. It's in a good condition (just replaced front brakes, a/c compressor, o2 sensor, did some suspension work), it will have no problems passing safety.

    Any input is appreciated!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    well, you won't get much that's for sure.

  3. #3
    Jr Member G ~ MINI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    345
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    If you have the space to store it you might get more parting out

  4. #4
    Jr Member Hotsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hamilton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Being manual it will make it harder . Also like been said you won't get much for it, but would depend on rust. I just bought a new car and need to get rig of my 2005 3 sedan. Had it for sale but no bites yet and not asking much. Might be easier to scrap it than put $500 into it and try to recoup the cost in my case. I'd say drive it until it needs more work then dump it cheap.

  5. #5
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsky View Post
    Being manual it will make it harder . Also like been said you won't get much for it, but would depend on rust. I just bought a new car and need to get rig of my 2005 3 sedan. Had it for sale but no bites yet and not asking much. Might be easier to scrap it than put $500 into it and try to recoup the cost in my case. I'd say drive it until it needs more work then dump it cheap.
    Good idea, I'll keep it for a while, it has no issues now (well, beside rust, but it's not too bad yet). Trade-in is also an option, but I won't get more than a few hundred for it..

  6. #6
    Member Hives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Might sell in the fall if ppl are looking for a 5spd winter beater?
    Too Many Mods To List

  7. #7
    Noob
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    70 percent depreciated amount for sure

  8. #8
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,738
    Thanks
    3,355
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 694 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    If you have the space to store it you might get more parting out
    Late to this thread - IMO - no you wont.

    sell it as a complete car if it does not have any issues.

    people lowball on gen1 parts and expect everything for cheap as its a 10+ year old car now.

    Parting out my car online was a shit show and there was very little interest from TM3. the majority of sales were from Kijiji and people were offering to trade me used Air Jordans + cash for parts. I ignored so many lowballs - 60-90% off of my listed price.

    Just my 2 cents

  9. #9
    Sr Member Flagrum_3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,279
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 345 Times in 276 Posts
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    Late to this thread - IMO - no you wont.

    sell it as a complete car if it does not have any issues.

    people lowball on gen1 parts and expect everything for cheap as its a 10+ year old car now.

    Parting out my car online was a shit show and there was very little interest from TM3. the majority of sales were from Kijiji and people were offering to trade me used Air Jordans + cash for parts. I ignored so many lowballs - 60-90% off of my listed price.

    Just my 2 cents
    I second the motion.

    Clean the car up real good, and cover as much rust as possible, it will be worth the effort.

    Don't just hand it away if the car runs good.


    _3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 07-23-2019 at 01:31 PM.

  10. #10
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Thanks for the replies! They are not late, I’m still figuring out what to do. The idea to cover the rust is superb!

    I’ll try to sell it as a whole, since it runs good.

  11. #11
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,738
    Thanks
    3,355
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 694 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    Thanks for the replies! They are not late, I’m still figuring out what to do. The idea to cover the rust is superb!

    I’ll try to sell it as a whole, since it runs good.
    Spend a whole day and detail it. I sold my uncle's car for the asking price as it was really clean and the buyer was really appreciative. We took all the seats out, vacuum and shampoo every surface. It doesn't cost anything but it's a lot of work.

    Also take very nice pictures if your selling it. Landscape orientation, not portrait. Make sure you have good lighting with a nice background. I have skimmed over so many cars myself if the pictures were blurry / low resolution.
    Last edited by Kiewan; 07-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.

  12. #12
    Jr Member Hotsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hamilton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it hard to sell a 1st gen?

    Also be prepared for kijiji folk to offer you half of the asking price. You'll list say for 1000 and people offer 500, you list for 600 and people offer 300 lol. These loosers are unreal. Basically price it double lol

    Not to mention someone says there coming, arrange time and then no show no warning. People have no integrity these days.
    Last edited by Hotsky; 07-26-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Hard starting
    By bmxjordanbmx in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 01:21 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 01:44 PM
  3. How hard is it to jump a car?
    By mleblond in forum Pictures and Videos
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •