Thread: Saying goodbye to Mazda..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saying goodbye to Mazda..

After owning my 2005 Mazda 3 for over 10 years and putting over 200k on it myself I've decided that due to the rusted rocker panels it wasn't worth fixing brakes all around. Test drove a few cars 2015 3, 2019 3, cx5 2012 Lexus IS and a few VWs. I've decided on balck 2016 Golf TSI. Love the turbo. (Also Insurance was going to go up on all other cars mentioned). Got it yesterday and already put 400km on it. Have to say not missing my Mazda 3 lol. Although 2019 2.5 3 hatch was soo nice!!

Here comes the dilemma, I still have my mazda and can get 300$ at the scrap and I keep my wheels! Easy and low effort. Or try to find cheap wheels, fix brakes ($450) and maybe weld muffler back on. But that's a lot of work and money that I have to recoup later. What would you guys do?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saying goodbye to Mazda..

I would go the scrap route. Too much time and expense to try otherwise.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

Jackal (07-15-2019),Kiewan (08-28-2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will miss the reliability quickly.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsky View Post
    After owning my 2005 Mazda 3 for over 10 years and putting over 200k on it myself I've decided that due to the rusted rocker panels it wasn't worth fixing brakes all around. Test drove a few cars 2015 3, 2019 3, cx5 2012 Lexus IS and a few VWs. I've decided on balck 2016 Golf TSI. Love the turbo. (Also Insurance was going to go up on all other cars mentioned). Got it yesterday and already put 400km on it. Have to say not missing my Mazda 3 lol. Although 2019 2.5 3 hatch was soo nice!!

Here comes the dilemma, I still have my mazda and can get 300$ at the scrap and I keep my wheels! Easy and low effort. Or try to find cheap wheels, fix brakes ($450) and maybe weld muffler back on. But that's a lot of work and money that I have to recoup later. What would you guys do?
    Personally, I think you made errors in judgment. I switched from a VW to Mazda3. Besides, the ethical and lawful reasons not support VW, there's also reliability issues with VW much more than with Mazda.

If it was looking a Mazda3 replacement and chose not to go with Mazda again, I would've included only two models: Honda Civic and Corolla.
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prepare yourself when the thing is out of warranty... VW's suck like that.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scrap is probably easiest, i contemplated that same thing with an older vehicle and at the end of the day just scrapped it instead of the hassle of trying to keep it on the road

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up selling the car as is for cheap but still a bit more than scrap would have gave me. I also i had that car for 11 years so wanted it to live on instead of getting zombied at scrap.

Had my Golf for 3 months now and pretty happy with it so far. Financing it over 5 years so probably won't keep it as long as the mazda which i paid cash for when it was 4 years. Likely once its paid off, unless im broke lol, i might just trade it in and get something newer/faster/better. .. before i got the Golf i test prove a '15 Golf and '15 Mazda 3 2L and Mazda has less pick up and had cheaper interior. I also test drove 2015 GT 2.5 and still liked it less then the Golf... now i LOVED 2019 mazda 3 2.5 and would have gotten that likely one if my insurance would not have gone up $50 a month. :/ Not to mention pmts would have been much higher vs 2016 Golf. Over all just could not justify the increase in overall payments over used Golf. My insurance actually went down $5! Also very manageable over 5 years for a car with a premium feel, well i just couldn't say no.
    Last edited by Hotsky; 10-14-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    Prepare yourself when the thing is out of warranty... VW's suck like that.
    I can imagine. While in warranty, it was a royal pia. Never again I'll own a VW...maybe, just maybe if it's German made.

Ride
    2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markow202 View Post
    You will miss the reliability quickly.
    I know I do.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question guys... I have an old car and currently contemplating on a bunch of cars. Planning on buying used for the first time and want to get ride of my existing car. What's the typical process?

Do I pick up my new set of wheels first and then ditch my existing or the other way around.

Also how does the car scrap process work? Do I just drive to a scrap yard and they'll pay me for the car or do they pick it up and pay me at my house?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Pearl White 2007 Mazda Axela GT with 6000k Prolumen HIDs, 35/28 Tints, Axela Badge

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scrap yards highest price i found was 350. If they pick it up they pay less.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyGT View Post
    Question guys... I have an old car and currently contemplating on a bunch of cars. Planning on buying used for the first time and want to get ride of my existing car. What's the typical process?

Do I pick up my new set of wheels first and then ditch my existing or the other way around.

Also how does the car scrap process work? Do I just drive to a scrap yard and they'll pay me for the car or do they pick it up and pay me at my house?

Thanks for the feedback!
    I'm not familiar with scrapping the car. The only time I sold to a scrap yard, usually for metal they picked up the car because it was always dead.

If yours is somehow driveable, just tell the dealer (after you negotiate your best price) that you want to trade it in. They might give you more than the wrecker. The key thing to remember is any trade-in value will reduce your taxes paid. Unless things have changed, adding a downpayment will not reduce the taxes charged.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsky View Post
    Scrap yards highest price i found was 350. If they pick it up they pay less.
    Yep. I got 300 and they towed the b**** away. Driver paid cash and that was that.