Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

  1. #1
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    Hello everyone,

    I had this posted in the I.C.E section however I was getting no response as a result I thought of posting it here.

    We just bought a 2012 Mazda3 GT which has a gt-e package (navigation, bsm, push button start). My wife will be mainly driving it. While she is liking the car for the most part. Our condo has a tight parking spot and notice she has issues backing in and out. I inquired with Cobra/Audioheaven regarding an OEM interface where the navi screen (crappy small one) can be used as a camera. Audioheaven said, they don't have one such solution however cobra said that one of their staff got it done so they have a way around. They quoted me 450 for backup camera install (utilizes mazda camera and some canbus wiring but wouldn't provide any more details), 250 for tints and 400 for forward and reverse dash cam. They maybe able to give me a deal for under 1000 for everything installed.

    My main question is has anyone done the backup camera integration on the OEM display (tiny screen). I came across a company from austrailia but it appears they are no longer is business. Thanks again for all your help

  2. #2
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    I think it would be easier to get a double DIN unit, as a bonus you can get something with CarPlay/AA.

    Also, you can get a mirror with camera from Auto Links, they says from $450 installed (less TM3 discount!): https://auto-links.ca/custom-audio/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebi For This Useful Post:

    shiblifa (07-17-2019)

  4. #3
    Newbie LiviuTincu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    I had an aftermarket 8" deck and I couldn't adjust my parking based on that view. I sold the whole thing after 3 years. On Mazda 3 screen,

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to LiviuTincu For This Useful Post:

    shiblifa (07-17-2019)

  6. #4
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    Quote Originally Posted by LiviuTincu View Post
    I had an aftermarket 8" deck and I couldn't adjust my parking based on that view. I sold the whole thing after 3 years. On Mazda 3 screen,

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Interesting! I never thought it would be that difficult. Thank you for your perspective. Perhaps I will look at Sebi's solution. Scarborough is quite a way from me but how much discount do we get?

  7. #5
    Sr Member Reddie1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakville, Cambridge
    Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Posts
    2,990
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 440 Times in 323 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    I didn't know the top screen could be used for backup camera. I would like to see this in action some day.

    Right now I do have a camera wired up to the 2013 nav unit installed in my 2010 speed.

    But I am not the mastermind behind that, I just know it has a regular camera you can get from amazon, wired to the 5.5" touchscreen from the 2013 tech package car.

    Last edited by Reddie1337; 07-19-2019 at 05:51 PM.

    Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddie1337 For This Useful Post:

    shiblifa (07-20-2019)

  9. #6
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    I didn't know the top screen could be used for backup camera. I would like to see this in action some day.

    Right now I do have a camera wired up to the 2013 nav unit installed in my 2010 speed.

    But I am not the mastermind behind that, I just know it has a regular camera you can get from amazon, wired to the 5.5" touchscreen from the 2013 tech package car.

    Apparently, cobra specialist indicated that it can be done. I will be getting the work done next week and if all goes well then I will post the pics here. I do however like your setup. Thanks again for sharing.

  10. #7
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    I didn't know the top screen could be used for backup camera. I would like to see this in action some day.

    Right now I do have a camera wired up to the 2013 nav unit installed in my 2010 speed.

    But I am not the mastermind behind that, I just know it has a regular camera you can get from amazon, wired to the 5.5" touchscreen from the 2013 tech package car.

    So Cobra1 was wrong and they thought that 2012/2013 had the same setup. Anyway, I really like your setup. How easy was it to integrate the 2013 nav screen into your 2010 speed. I am hoping the install shouldn't be much different on a 2012 gt.

    Thanks,
    Faisal

  11. #8
    Sr Member Reddie1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakville, Cambridge
    Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Posts
    2,990
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 440 Times in 323 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    Quote Originally Posted by shiblifa View Post
    So Cobra1 was wrong and they thought that 2012/2013 had the same setup. Anyway, I really like your setup. How easy was it to integrate the 2013 nav screen into your 2010 speed. I am hoping the install shouldn't be much different on a 2012 gt.

    Thanks,
    Faisal
    @McGuyver_3

    It required a donor harness and many man hours. It's nice, but not cheap. This was a labour of love.

  12. #9
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    @McGuyver_3

    It required a donor harness and many man hours. It's nice, but not cheap. This was a labour of love.
    Ahh! that's a bummer.. Thank you again for your input.

  13. #10
    Uncle Ben
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,012
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 97 Times in 84 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    Quote Originally Posted by shiblifa View Post
    Ahh! that's a bummer.. Thank you again for your input.

    It required
    13 6.5 touch screen unit
    13 nav dash harness (must be 13 with Nav. Many additional connectors)
    13 USB/BT Control Unit
    13 Centre console Nav card reader
    Centre console modification and cover for card reader
    Harness for the centre console connecting to the dash harness
    Re wire the steering steering controls. Buttons can be reused but you will have Nav and Mode (i think) no longer doing anything
    Connector off amazon for rear camera integration. (Or silicon at the time as the connector was not yet available)
    The car pictured came with Bose so the main connector was reused for the amp/speaker ins/outs.
    The car pictured also came with factory Nav so I reused the nav antenna in stock location.

    Im probably forgetting a few odds and ends but that was the brunt force of it. I attempted installing the 13 harness in the 10 as a whole but came across a few issues. A lot of pins were in different locations and had different colours. So I unravelled the entire harness, picked what I needed and made a unique add in harness. The only thing I tapped in to on the body was for the Sirius can lines. There was a reason I had to do it that way which I cannot remember.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

  14. #11
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints

    WOW! Kudos to you for figuring all this out and not giving up. Mazda is weird in some ways, they had memory seat/side mirror signals which they removed in the later years. Then they just introduced backup camera in the 2013 year while I'm sure they could've introduced it earlier. My wife is getting a hang of the car but the back end of the car is high and sometimes when she is backing into tight areas (condo parking), it gets a tad bit difficult.

    Thank you again for providing me with all this information.
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    It required
    13 6.5 touch screen unit
    13 nav dash harness (must be 13 with Nav. Many additional connectors)
    13 USB/BT Control Unit
    13 Centre console Nav card reader
    Centre console modification and cover for card reader
    Harness for the centre console connecting to the dash harness
    Re wire the steering steering controls. Buttons can be reused but you will have Nav and Mode (i think) no longer doing anything
    Connector off amazon for rear camera integration. (Or silicon at the time as the connector was not yet available)
    The car pictured came with Bose so the main connector was reused for the amp/speaker ins/outs.
    The car pictured also came with factory Nav so I reused the nav antenna in stock location.

    Im probably forgetting a few odds and ends but that was the brunt force of it. I attempted installing the 13 harness in the 10 as a whole but came across a few issues. A lot of pins were in different locations and had different colours. So I unravelled the entire harness, picked what I needed and made a unique add in harness. The only thing I tapped in to on the body was for the Sirius can lines. There was a reason I had to do it that way which I cannot remember.

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Mazda3 GT OEM backup camera interface, dash cam and tints
    By shiblifa in forum I.C.E (In-Car Entertainment)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2019, 12:58 PM
  2. Backup camera with Eonon GA5163
    By Captain Mazda in forum I.C.E (In-Car Entertainment)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 12:55 PM
  3. Backup Camera Splice to Reverse Lights Question
    By ds08tf in forum Lighting, Electrical & Security
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM
  4. Backup Camera Sensor
    By GTA Fine Cars Inc. in forum Lighting, Electrical & Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
  5. backup camera
    By S.F.W. in forum I.C.E (In-Car Entertainment)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •