Thread: To sell or not to sell - 2009 Mazda3 GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To sell or not to sell - 2009 Mazda3 GT

Hi everyone

I'm hoping to get some opinions from the community on the dreaded sell or fix dilemma. I am the original owner of a 5 speed 2009 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with 198,000kms on it. It needs a new control arm, axle, rear brakes, and left rear caliper. It also needs new summer tires for sure come spring, and my winter tires are 9 years old (tread still ok).

Estimate for repair is $1500; let's say $500 for summers, $500 for winters.

Is it worth the investment of $2500-$3k? I realize my car is has way lower mileage than others on the board. Body is good and Engine is good (so far). Just never know what's around the corner. Whats the probability that I'd get another 2-3 years out of my car with that investment?

This couldn't have happened at a better time as I'm on Parental leave until February 2020. I've got the car in the garage for now, and don't have to make a decision before Feb.

Thoughts or recommendations? I really don't want anther car payment.

Thanks for your time folks!

btw...those '19 sedan GTs look awesoooooome!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: To sell or not to sell - 2009 Mazda3 GT

At some point, we all face this decision with our car. To invest into something that may need more $$ down the road or bite the bullet and replace it.

What you have not mentioned above is how much do you drive. Are you doing a Highway drive daily or city driving?

If you drive and depend on the vehicle day in or day out and want piece of mind, it might be time to replace it.

If the car failed and you can get by with some down time for the repair, might be worth keeping it if it's in the condition listed above.

What you've listed above doesn't sound like abnormal stuff that may need repairs at that age/mileage.
    Last edited by SonicBoy; 10-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SonicBoy For This Useful Post:

Reegs (10-14-2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    At some point, we all face this decision with our car. To invest into something that may need more $$ down the road or bite the bullet and replace it.

What you have not mentioned above is how much do you drive. Are you doing a Highway drive daily or city driving?

If you drive and depend on the vehicle day in or day out and want piece of mind, it might be time to replace it.

If the car failed and you can get by with some down time for the repair, might be worth keeping it if it's in the condition listed above.

What you've listed above doesn't sound like abnormal stuff that may need repairs at that age/mileage.
    Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear the repairs don't seem abnormal. I do mostly city driving (18k per year), have CAA, and could probably deal with the down time for any future repairs. I don't drive on the highway across the city too much; maybe a few times a month) The two main factors in my decision are:

1) Difficult to sell it for anything above $1000 given the manual transmission and the impending repairs. (Putting out a feeler here lol)
    2) My appetite for another another car payment. I've been without one for years and really don't want to get into another one soon.

The body of my car is still in great condition, the engine as of now runs well (that could change any time of course). But I'm having a hard time justifying getting rid of it for peanuts and entering another 60 month financing term.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple things.
    198 k is not low mileage. Wife has 09 car with179k for reference,
    your car is very avg 20k a year driving. But engine and MT are good for it should last a couple more years no problem if you maintain and being on pat pay leave you probably drive less anyways.

For all those things $1500 seems pretty cheap. Are they getting new parts or from scrap yard? About tires. Look on kijiji you can easily grab good tires for 100-200 a set depending on your tire size. Scrap yard is another option for used tires .

If i were you i would fix it up IF the body is good. My old 2005 3 body was shot so i saw no point in getting it it fixed up when i was getting embarrassed driving it lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would fix it. Spending even $1000-$1500 a year, lets say, on keeping it up is alot better then car payments and depreciation on a new car.

I spent approx $1400 in one shot at 250k on suspension and brakes, a few years later and @ 350k and I'm still good.

Just my opinion.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been car payment free for some time too. The trick is to continue making that car payment into a fund for it's replacement.

You get used to living with the monthly car payment and there will be the need at some point to use the funds for another vehicle.

Like other's have stated, the cost of the repairs shouldn't be that bad and could allow you to get by.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would fix it, drive it for 24 months and then look to trade in/sell for a replacement. You want to recoup some of the money you just spent on the repairs but also have the car in a condition where its going to go for decent market value.

Everyone dreads car payments but unfortunately for most of us average joes, its just an necessary evil. You just need to buy some time so the repair method will do just that. A lot will change in 24 months and maybe by then you'll be ready to move on to a replacement for the family's needs.

I've been car payment free since 2008. However, that's very likely to change over the next few months. C'est la vie.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    I'm hoping to get some opinions from the community on the dreaded sell or fix dilemma. I am the original owner of a 5 speed 2009 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with 198,000kms on it. It needs a new control arm, axle, rear brakes, and left rear caliper. It also needs new summer tires for sure come spring, and my winter tires are 9 years old (tread still ok).

Estimate for repair is $1500; let's say $500 for summers, $500 for winters.

Is it worth the investment of $2500-$3k? I realize my car is has way lower mileage than others on the board. Body is good and Engine is good (so far). Just never know what's around the corner. Whats the probability that I'd get another 2-3 years out of my car with that investment?
    FWIW, I've got a 2008 GT hatch with 170k. I'd been toying with replacing it with a 2020 in the spring (after the winter mess), but it came up needing front and rear brakes soon, the rear oxygen sensor just went, there's a small rust hole in a wheelwell, and the rear bushings have gone kaput (that era Mazda seemed prone to bushings going quicker than one would like). I also need a new set of winter tires, and since they changed sizes around 2014 I couldn't carry them over to a new vehicle. So I could easily be looking at $2500 or more, and that may tip me over into replacing it now, rather than investing in it. The main problem is they no longer have the lovely Copper Red Mica colour, and I'm having trouble finding a paint job I actively like...

You might want to check any 2019 clearance deals now that the 2020 hatches are out. I think they have an extra 1% off the finance rates for the 2019, although their Winter Tire Credit bonus isn't valid for the 3.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would fix it, drive it for 24 months and then look to trade in/sell for a replacement. You want to recoup some of the money you just spent on the repairs but also have the car in a condition where its going to go for decent market value.
    in 2 year the trade in value of that car will be $500. Dealers offer wholesale prices.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone,

I've taken into account all of the suggestions so far i this thread. I think repair is the right way to go. The engine is fine at the moment and I'm still impressed with the body integrity after 11 years; very minor rust in the wheel wells. I think I'll repair it until I'm ok with letting it go for nothing/$500.

I like the idea of starting to put away the car payments now so in a year or two I'll have a down payment to get me going with a new car.

Appreciate all the advice folks! I'll keep you posted on the repair, and grab some pics of the damage when I get it repaired/up on the hoist.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep it. I'm curious to see how Mazda's upcoming EV will fare, might be a worthy successor.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, repair it is the way to go. These cars can last beyond 350K if you maintain correctly
    Too Many Mods To List

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sell it
    although my opinion is different - my 2008 GS was cursed and died.

Ride
    2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$1500 repair with 200k and needs new tires? I'd dump it.

However, if that's the dealer price, you might get a better one from an independent mechanic. Might be worth asking around.