Thread: Rustproofing, First Canadian Platinum Shield

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rustproofing, First Canadian Platinum Shield

I'm replacing a 2008 GT hatchback with a 2020 GT AWD hatch, and I've just gone through the inevitable spiel of dealer protection package offerings. The rust option is First Canadian "Platinum Shield" - the spray, not the goofy electronic gizmo. The old 2008 had no additional rust protection and went 170k in just over 11 years - it spent its first winter in Ottawa and the second in Yellowknife, and Halifax ever since. I considered starting to get it Krowned when I moved to Halifax (winter salt and briny seacoast, hooray) but decided not to. It held up pretty well, although it apparently now may have a bit of an issue with a rocker panel and a wheel well - that and some other things are what made me decide to instead put that money to a new one now - I hadn't planned to replace it until next spring at the earliest. It's quite possible I'll keep the new vehicle for a similar length of time, and I'm considering what, if anything, to do about rustproofing.

Krown applications run around $130 here, and of course there's the need to drill door holes, dripping and yearly nuisance. The dealer one-time gunk would be $900, with an inside-out perforation warranty. I was wondering if there is a consensus on just how effective that sort of First Canadian type product is? My impression from what I've reading is that it isn't completely bogus, but with downsides including potential for the coating to separate over time and road gunk getting trapped between it and the metal?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rustproofing, First Canadian Platinum Shield

I ve never used First Canadian. But have had many different cars over the last 30 years. One time applications mainly ! (and depending where the cars exposed ...yes it does peel off, break off or crack over time, crack basically exposing the metal and trapping dirt and moisture and yes salt too) . In Montreal i had the pleasure of meeting Barry at barrys rust proofing https://www.apa.ca/services_rustproofing.asp and APA approves barry and Krown and gives you low down about rust proofing. The Gizmos do work but in my opinion not as good as yearly application. With a yearly ...all underbody and inner doors on the car gets a fresh shot and it also blows out all the accumulated debris / salt . Krown also does a pre spray salt neutralizer. Yes each spray does go for $129 for cars (maybe you can find a $10-20 rebate depends on timing). 2nd year and every year after Krown does send you promos. From rebates , free can ($10)of their rust stuff, free preparay and free movie tickets. 2012 Mazda i've sprayed 6 times and received 4 free cans, 4 salt eliminator and 6 movies tickets, and Aquapel windshield repellent and free set of rubber winter mats (front and rear) I figure total value of free stuff over $200. YES It drips ... I get it done at lunch time while at work and it drips at work. Hotter temp outside the better ...better penetration and less time dripping
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 10-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.