Thread: Selling a car that is collecting dust.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Selling a car that is collecting dust.

Hi All -

I moved over to a Murano almost a year ago and parked my old 2005 Mazda 3 in my parent's garage. I want to offload the vehicle but it hasn't been driven for almost a year. I disconnected the battery at the time it was placed in the garage. The car is uninsured so I can't really take it to a mechanic to have it looked at. Wondering what are my best options to try and sell it. I probably should have traded it in to the dealership at the time of purchase of the Murano but figured I could sell it privately. Unfortunately, when I transitioned over I got lazy and never looked back. Procrastination has brought me to this point. Lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Selling a car that is collecting dust.

Trip permits are available from the Ministry of Transportation that allows you to drive the vehicle if you need to get it to a Mechanic or do test drives.

You still also need to have valid insurance on top but should be possible from your broker.

Have you considering donating it to Kidney Car or one of the charities if you don't have the time to try and sell? I believe these places give you a donation credit for tax time that is coming up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SonicBoy For This Useful Post:

ZeroChalk (01-17-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. good to know about the permits. I'll call my insurance and investigate. I was hoping to get some $$$ from it to cover a new set of rims... problem is the vehicle has an electrical short somewhere which is why I bought the Murano. I thought about donating it but I feel (aside from the electrical short) it would be a waste/sad to see the car get scrapped. Especially with all the stuff I've done to it. It was a well kept car until the short showed up. I looked at the donation places and they provide a tax receipt for $50-100 which is barely anything.

Maybe there is too much sentimental value.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way to make some money out of the car then would be to part it out which is even harder. Start posting components like the seats, existing wheels, body panels.

This is the hardest thing to do and the most time consuming as you will have a hunk and mess of a car you keep seeing.

In the end, you donate what's left if they are only giving you a $50-$100 tax credit.

I thought I heard Kidney car gave at least $300. You could also call up some of the wreckers to see what they will give you for the car. You would still have to get it there or they may just come and pick it up.

I donated a car to the local high school and the kids in Auto shop learned a lot. They pulled the engine out, rebuilt it and then someone actually bought the engine. Maybe some shop or school could use your car to figure out the electrical problems.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I donated my 2008 Mazda3Sport GT to Kars4Kidz and it had a broken control arm along with some other stuff I probably didn't know about. Got a $1K tax receipt.