Thread: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Hi folks, I think I just discovered that one of the rear struts on my 2005 is leaking....oil on the ground and bottom of strut is soaked in oil. Any feedback on the cost ….parts and labor ... of replacing both struts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1500 View Post
    Hi folks, I think I just discovered that one of the rear struts on my 2005 is leaking....oil on the ground and bottom of strut is soaked in oil. Any feedback on the cost ….parts and labor ... of replacing both struts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Its simply shocks in the back, so I'd suggest going for OEM shocks again. They come with the shock mounts built in which is good as the mounts usually go on these.

Your looking maybe $300-350 total including, labour.

I replaced mine recently spent $300 all in, but went for Monroe shocks and aftermarket mounts cuz it was a spur of the moment thing, then later found out the OEM are only slightly more expensive.

_3

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

intruder1500 (04-13-2020)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a price from a Mazda Dealer in London....$497.56 plus tax....ouch!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a price from a Mazda Dealer in London....$497.56 plus tax....ouch!
    Is that parts or labour also?

I also didn't know you were in London, as we get a TM3 discount here in T.O of 15% on parts at some dealers

If the price included labour, get it done somewhere else, the dealer charges like $120 an hour labour, more then twice what my shop asks.

I seem to remember the price for the shocks was under $300 tax in, for both sides.

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Is that parts or labour also?

I also didn't know you were in London, as we get a TM3 discount here in T.O of 15% on parts at some dealers

If the price included labour, get it done somewhere else, the dealer charges like $120 an hour labour, more then twice what my shop asks.

I seem to remember the price for the shocks was under $300 tax in, for both sides.

_3
    Rear shocks are $146.38+taxes each plus labor of $102.40+taxes

Combined Labour and Parts for both is $497.56+taxes.

I'm going to pull the wheel off to have a better look later this week....when the weather warms up again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you able to do it yourself?

There are many DIY videos on YouTube for this that will completely identify all steps.

Just looked on Rockauto and you can get KYB shocks for $49.77 each or Gabriel for $55.61 each or Monroe for $44.21 each. The shock mount from KYB is $ 17.40 ea. That's also Canadian funds.

Shipping is $25.02 via FedEx. Total with tax/shipping to your door: $177.87 That's for 2 shocks (KYB) and 2 shock mounts.

If you are able to do it yourself or with a friend you can save A LOT over the dealer....like $380!!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMZ3 View Post
    Are you able to do it yourself?

There are many DIY videos on YouTube for this that will completely identify all steps.

Just looked on Rockauto and you can get KYB shocks for $49.77 each or Gabriel for $55.61 each or Monroe for $44.21 each. The shock mount from KYB is $ 17.40 ea. That's also Canadian funds.

Shipping is $25.02 via FedEx. Total with tax/shipping to your door: $177.87 That's for 2 shocks (KYB) and 2 shock mounts.

If you are able to do it yourself or with a friend you can save A LOT over the dealer....like $380!!
    Thanks....I did see a YouTube video and you are right ...its not that complicated. I still have to pull the wheel to confirm that it is a shock issue. I'll probably check some prices around town once the Covid 19 issue is cleared. Not sure if there is a brake line near the shock and that may be the problem. In any event its not urgent. Interesting that I can't push down the corner of the car to see if there is any excess movement....hmmm. Not like the old days when you could make a car bounce up and down and shocks were $6.95 each.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks....I did see a YouTube video and you are right ...its not that complicated. I still have to pull the wheel to confirm that it is a shock issue. I'll probably check some prices around town once the Covid 19 issue is cleared. Not sure if there is a brake line near the shock and that may be the problem. In any event its not urgent. Interesting that I can't push down the corner of the car to see if there is any excess movement....hmmm. Not like the old days when you could make a car bounce up and down and shocks were $6.95 each.
    You may have a seized shock, which is what happen to me and eventually caused it to break off completely at the top mount.

It may not be so easy either, as the top mount bolt may be seized also, needing a torch to get out.

Hopefully you have neither issue.

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    You may have a seized shock, which is what happen to me and eventually caused it to break off completely at the top mount.

It may not be so easy either, as the top mount bolt may be seized also, needing a torch to get out.

Hopefully you have neither issue.

_3
    Thanks for the feedback! It only started to show a leak on the ground a week ago and I do get the car oil sprayed every year ( and no winter driving last 5 plus years ) so hopefully there are no side issues. I'll repost once I get the problem corrected.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well pulled the wheel today...brake lines dry...shock is damp with oil....piece of the upper protective boot is missing so shock piston shaft is partially exposed. I guess new shocks are I order. At least I know its not seized as the shock extended when I jacked up the car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well pulled the wheel today...brake lines dry...shock is damp with oil....piece of the upper protective boot is missing so shock piston shaft is partially exposed. I guess new shocks are I order. At least I know its not seized as the shock extended when I jacked up the car.
    Yeah I forgot to mention my seized shock had no leakage. In your situation its definitely just a blown shock.

I would still inspect the mounts anyways (closely) for any cracks, just to be safe.

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the shocks have been replaced. Definitely leaking and lots of corrosion on the shock body at the piston seal under dust cover. Mounts were not in great shape.