Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were to trade-in or buy another vehicle besides a Mazda, what would it be?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If you were to trade-in or buy another vehicle besides a Mazda, what would it be?

Although I plan to keep my 2005 Mazda3 until it drops dead or repairs are no longer a viable option, I was looking at the new Corolla just in case I need to get into something in a hurry.

I kind of like the look of the Corolla CVT Sport sedan and the much larger infotainment screen compared to the long but narrow Mazda screen. It's like Mazda did the opposite of the iPhone and are making their screens wider, not taller. At my age, I want a large screen especially when I'm looking at Google maps Traffic. If I can only have that Tesla screen, lol.

I have thought about Honda, but If not mistaken, Honda may still have AT and brake issues after many years. Mazda brakes have been fantastic and seem to last a long time.

I'd stay with Mazda, but they're overpriced at this journey in my life. I'm even considering a small Nissan Micra or something similar as we now mostly use my spouse's 2014 Mazda3. However, everything comes down to reliability and less hassle. I've been extremely impressed with my first gen 2005 Mazda3 and I don't think I'll find another vehicle to be this reliable.
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If you were to trade-in or buy another vehicle besides a Mazda, what would it be?

Civic Type R all day

2004 Mazda3 GT { BLACK MICA / 5MT / GFX pkg / BLACK, RED & GOLD BEEBS }

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If you were to trade-in or buy another vehicle besides a Mazda, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by MAZDA Kitten View Post
    Civic Type R all day
    I was at the track (TMP) with a new type R (fifth Gen))and they pretty good down the straights, i did catch up to them in the curves and especially braking late. The new one is heavy 3200 lbs at 305 HP. One issue while on the track the type R overheated and shut down.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My next project :
    Find an inexpensive 3rd gen NC MX5. Supercharge it to 250-300WHP.
    Certainly cost less a new type R with better HP to weight ratio.

Ride
    2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my friends has a 2020 Corolla hatchback, the interior is pretty nice and it has a independant rear suspension, unlike the current 3. If I were in your position I might consider a Hyundai Elantra or Kia Forte as well. They're a lot better than they used to be.

I know what I'm not going to buy next, and it's another Camaro. The impracticality and poor visibility are the sort of thing that I can feel slowly wearing on me. My next car is going to be something practical... even if it's a Type-R or something like that.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am waiting to see if we get a full N version of the Sonata Or Elantra, that could be a contender. Elantra is going to be a 2.0T 295HP manual or dual clutch and sonata should be 2.5T with maybe 325-350 HP dual clutch. that would be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    I am waiting to see if we get a full N version of the Sonata Or Elantra, that could be a contender. Elantra is going to be a 2.0T 295HP manual or dual clutch and sonata should be 2.5T with maybe 325-350 HP dual clutch. that would be fun!
    True
    Some serious Korean HP from the N versions.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flunk View Post
    One of my friends has a 2020 Corolla hatchback, the interior is pretty nice and it has a independant rear suspension, unlike the current 3. If I were in your position I might consider a Hyundai Elantra or Kia Forte as well. They're a lot better than they used to be.

I know what I'm not going to buy next, and it's another Camaro. The impracticality and poor visibility are the sort of thing that I can feel slowly wearing on me. My next car is going to be something practical... even if it's a Type-R or something like that.
    I had the Korean brands on my short list then I ditched them, especially the Kia and how they handled their engine issues and hearing from owners/customers being unhappy with these brands on many levels.

I am looking now at subcompacts are a compact in the same price range (lower the better) to get me from A to B, nothing more.
    Last edited by Google; 09-03-2020 at 02:43 AM.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I went from a 2008 Mazda3 MT to a 2019 Honda Civic LX MT.

What I like about it:
    - not a single issue so far at 29000km. Just regular oil changes & software updates.
    - it felt much lighter and quicker than the comparative 3rd and 4th gen 2.0L Mazda 3. They somehow felt heavier than the Civic.
    - the clutch is very light and it is very easy to drive in Toronto traffic.
    - Steering is direct and quick.
    - I like the seating position and the way the interior wraps around you more. It seems better layed out for me at least. The screen placement is also better than recent Mazdas
    - it was much cheaper to lease than any Mazda3 at the time.
    - Standard safety features included on a lower LX model - lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control and automatic forward braking.
    - Fit and finish seems nicer. Interior quality and cloth seats are nice.

Things I don't like about it:
    - suspension: when cornering quickly, you can feel the grip in the back end let go more than a Mazda. I did upgrade/replace a lot of suspension parts in my Mazda3 so maybe that's not fair to a stock Civic. (Currently Driving on Bridgestone Potenzas, not the stock dealer tires.)
    - Infotainment isn't anything special. I just use Apple Carplay or Android Auto which was included.
    Automatic braking is sometime sensitive, slamming on the breaks if it thinks you are too close to another car.
    - cannot use cruise control in traffic. If someone changes lanes infront of me, the car hits the brakes pretty hard to create a new safe following distance.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    I had the Korean brands on my short list then I ditched them, especially the Kia and how they handled their engine issues and hearing from owners/customers being unhappy with these brands on many levels.

I am looking now at subcompacts are a compact in the same price range (lower the better) to get me from A to B, nothing more.
    My family member has a 2018 Hyundai Elantra (mid ranged model) and it's not that nice. It was much cheaper to own but they have had reliability issues and the interior reminds me of GM scratchy plastics.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    I went from a 2008 Mazda3 MT to a 2019 Honda Civic LX MT.

What I like about it:
    - not a single issue so far at 29000km. Just regular oil changes & software updates.
    - it felt much lighter and quicker than the comparative 3rd and 4th gen 2.0L Mazda 3. They somehow felt heavier than the Civic.
    - the clutch is very light and it is very easy to drive in Toronto traffic.
    - Steering is direct and quick.
    - I like the seating position and the way the interior wraps around you more. It seems better layed out for me at least. The screen placement is also better than recent Mazdas
    - it was much cheaper to lease than any Mazda3 at the time.
    - Standard safety features included on a lower LX model - lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control and automatic forward braking.
    - Fit and finish seems nicer. Interior quality and cloth seats are nice.

Things I don't like about it:
    - suspension: when cornering quickly, you can feel the grip in the back end let go more than a Mazda. I did upgrade/replace a lot of suspension parts in my Mazda3 so maybe that's not fair to a stock Civic. (Currently Driving on Bridgestone Potenzas, not the stock dealer tires.)
    - Infotainment isn't anything special. I just use Apple Carplay or Android Auto which was included.
    Automatic braking is sometime sensitive, slamming on the breaks if it thinks you are too close to another car.
    - cannot use cruise control in traffic. If someone changes lanes infront of me, the car hits the brakes pretty hard to create a new safe following distance.

The weight is about the same 2800 lbs + or minus
    A touch more HP
    Maybe its the gearing ratios ...faster off the line

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family member has a 2018 Hyundai Elantra (mid ranged model) and it's not that nice. It was much cheaper to own but they have had reliability issues and the interior reminds me of GM scratchy plastics.
    My family member also has a KIA Forte (sister company to Hyundai). Super reliable is this model , some issues in the past.
    I find the suspension not sporty enough.... thats just me

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i didnt get a new car ill take the wifes grand cherokee, she might want another one or a Palisade. depends on the options for the price.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it had to be a new non-mazda:
    Ford Mustang Ecoboost with High Performance Package (RS engine )
    Volvo S/V60 with T6 4cyl engine

But I've really enjoyed my mazdas and will always have one in the garage alongside my C30
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm on second thoughts ...
    Maybe a ford focus rs (that 2.3 L turbo 350hp ..hmmm i wonder where they got that 2.3 from)
    or Porsche 718 cayman gt4 . Always liked that model.
    nahhhhh i think i'll still stick a 2012 NC Miata rebuild take her to 290 WHP.
    Wake me up if im dreaming .....

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    The weight is about the same 2800 lbs + or minus
    A touch more HP
    Maybe its the gearing ratios ...faster off the line
    I think it's the gear ratios. The Honda definitely feels quicker around town in 1st and 2nd.

Next car; probably a used Nissan X-terra with the 4.0L VQ in MT. My brother has one and it's really fun to drive around town in 2WD and great up north off road in 4WD low. But the rust it has makes Mazda rust look like nothing...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Google -Toyota apparently is coming out with a new Hatch which will be turbo and possibly all wheel drive and will offer standard 6 spd. You may want to wait a bit as alot of new cars are coming down the pipe. Toyota can't be beat reliability wise.

_3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Google (09-27-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's the gear ratios. The Honda definitely feels quicker around town in 1st and 2nd.

Next car; probably a used Nissan X-terra with the 4.0L VQ in MT. My brother has one and it's really fun to drive around town in 2WD and great up north off road in 4WD low. But the rust it has makes Mazda rust look like nothing...
    I cannot stress it enough ...I have been using Krown every year since i got the car (2012 and its my daily drive since)) im only getting several specks surface rust at the wheel wells and 3rd brake light
    Under carriage is like brand new. ok...not brand new new.. like 1 year old.

The Toyota FJ is pretty cool too !

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    @Google -Toyota apparently is coming out with a new Hatch which will be turbo and possibly all wheel drive and will offer standard 6 spd. You may want to wait a bit as alot of new cars are coming down the pipe. Toyota can't be beat reliability wise.
    Thanks. I'm in no hurry. I plan to keep my 05 Mazda3 until the tranny or engine goes but I need a backup plan should it die suddenly,

On another note. The last time I checked a few years ago, KIA's owner's manually SPECIFICALLY mentioned you MUST have your vehicle serviced at at KIA dealer or your warranty will be voided. I read this was challenged a long time ago with other manufacturers and they can't force customers to have their vehicle serviced at their dealership. I bring this up because I don't like the mindset or culture of either KIA or Hyundai compared to other manufacturers.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I didn't play hockey, Mustang Ecoboost for sure.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Thanks. I'm in no hurry. I plan to keep my 05 Mazda3 until the tranny or engine goes but I need a backup plan should it die suddenly,

On another note. The last time I checked a few years ago, KIA's owner's manually SPECIFICALLY mentioned you MUST have your vehicle serviced at at KIA dealer or your warranty will be voided. I read this was challenged a long time ago with other manufacturers and they can't force customers to have their vehicle serviced at their dealership. I bring this up because I don't like the mindset or culture of either KIA or Hyundai compared to other manufacturers.
    Just call KIA HQ and ask them if that's true, I doubt it is though.

I've talked to a couple of drivers at work who just bought KIAs, they have a pretty good extended warranty offer $2000 gets you 10 years bumper to bumper warranty. Next time I see them I'll ask them about the servicing question.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Lexus IS V6, however, would hold off to see if the IS-F rumours are true, and would purchase (if AWD)
    Too Many Mods To List

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Just call KIA HQ and ask them if that's true, I doubt it is though.

I've talked to a couple of drivers at work who just bought KIAs, they have a pretty good extended warranty offer $2000 gets you 10 years bumper to bumper warranty. Next time I see them I'll ask them about the servicing question.
    _3
    There's usually some sort of catch with extended warranties especially if it's not from the manufacturer. Is there a deductible?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just went from my 2010 Mazda 3 Hatch 5-sp to a 2018 Porsche Macan.
    It's a slightly bigger hatchback that still drives like a car. Shame it's an auto; but getting used to it slowly.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I still haven't upgraded and now isn't a good time due to covid and chip shortages. I hope I don't have any major issues with my 2005 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast