Thread: 2006 2.3L oil recommendations for cold weather

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2006 2.3L oil recommendations for cold weather

Just picked up a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback with the 2.3L. Has 94,000 miles which is about 150,000 km on it. Previous owner doesn’t remember or really care about which oil was run, he said he assumes it was regular oil. I am a synthetic type of guy since oil is pretty cheap on sale usually. I live in Alberta Canada and now for winter it’s gonna get super cold like -30 Celsius and even as cold as -40 Celsius. I believe the engine is specd for 5w20 but I am thinking of running 0w20. I was thinking of this becuse of the better cold flow with the 0 weight oil. At my local shop they have the Mobil 1 high mileage oil 0w20 for the same price as the regular synthetic 0w20 so I am thinking on picking up the Mobil 1 high mileage 0w20 and a Mobil 1 oil filter as well.

what do you guys think of this? Like does the Mazda 2.3l have any problems with 0 weight oil or with high mileage oil? Or is there a recommended specific oil for our car, Maybe one that seems to be the best. I am a member of bobistheoilguy and it seems like it doesn’t really matter what I use but just wanted to confirm with Mazda 3 fanatics!

thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2006 2.3L oil recommendations for cold weather

Logically you could do that.
    Mazda specs for this car in canada is 5w20 when factory new. Im sure the car was tested for cold weather starts too.
    Also as an engine gets more mileage wear the original clearances increase so that your bearing and piston ring gaps
    are now slightly more that when new. I think going thinner oil reduces that oil film gap and invites metal contact
    especially in cold starts. My 2.0L has 265k kms and i moved from 0w20 to 5w30 to compensate for the increased wear.
    But i also went with a 5w30 with alot moly added to it. Molygen from LiquiMoly. Check what oil manufacturer suggest.
    There got to be somewhere someone you has done a cold weather start up oil comparison.