Thread: recommended 150,000 km maintenance for a 2006 2.3l?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default recommended 150,000 km maintenance for a 2006 2.3l?

hello, i just picked up a used 2006 mazda 3 with the 2.3l engine. I am going to just drive it this winter how it is just to get a feel for it and see if I can notice any issues and then early next year when the weather gets better, I am planning to do all the maintenance needed for 150,000 km. The reason I want to do it all at once rather then one by one is because I want and need this car to be reliable so I dont have time for it to break down etc etc. the past owner doesnt really know about the maintnenace info since hes not a car guy at all. I checked the car fax for my vehicle and it seems like it recently he had the automatic transmission serviced which i assume means new fluid and filter, it got new power steering, new brake fluid and new brakes, new air filter. So i know i will be fine for all the fluids. I did some short research and it seems like I will probably have to change the following but looking for feedback or if im missing anything

(just changed both belts and the tensioner this weekend)

1. Spark plugs and wires? or just the plugs? - have to check them tho because maybe they were changed in the past 1-2 years

2. Water pump and new coolant?

3. i believe the alternator is making a whine so i will have to check that before i decide to replace it

4. all the o2 sensors?

5. clean the maf/throttle body

6. fuel filter?

7. something about a thermostat? what is that?

let me know if i am missing anything or if any of the top arent necessary mainteance

ill probably order all of the stuff from rockauto, any recommendations for brands?

thx a ton!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: recommended 150,000 km maintenance for a 2006 2.3l?

i called around the dealerships to pull service and seems like my front struts were replaced about 65,000 km ago so i believe they will have plenty of life now. no status on the rear shocks. the car is at 150,000 km's now so i assume it wouldn't hurt to change the rear shocks, what do yall think? i wanted to ask another thing:

I called around at the mazda dealerships and it seems like my coolant was last changed around 2012-2013 and that was about 60,000 km ago. its been 8 years. The color looks fine and the car was barely driven. Would you still drain and fill the coolant or would you wait till its driven more? sometimes its hard to follow the manual cuz you dont know if they make shorter intervals as a money grab.
    thx

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: recommended 150,000 km maintenance for a 2006 2.3l?

Quote Originally Posted by rpelich View Post
    i called around the dealerships to pull service and seems like my front struts were replaced about 65,000 km ago so i believe they will have plenty of life now. no status on the rear shocks. the car is at 150,000 km's now so i assume it wouldn't hurt to change the rear shocks, what do yall think? i wanted to ask another thing:

I called around at the mazda dealerships and it seems like my coolant was last changed around 2012-2013 and that was about 60,000 km ago. its been 8 years. The color looks fine and the car was barely driven. Would you still drain and fill the coolant or would you wait till its driven more? sometimes its hard to follow the manual cuz you dont know if they make shorter intervals as a money grab.
    thx
    Its always a safe bet to change your coolant if your not sure, especially now with winter coming. It also doesn't cost much.

As for your previous comment list; Plugs should be replaced at 120k and not expensive.

Forget the water pump especially since the coolant was changed early as stated. Pumps will usually go due to lack of maintenance as the coolant gets acidic.

Some alternator whine is normal, pay attention to your lights if they dim or you have strange starts etc. Have the charging system checked-not expensive.

Forget sensors unless you get a CEL.

There is no gas filter to change.

Unless you are getting a rough idle throttle cleaning is not necessary.

Thermostats can go early with these cars. The tell-tale sign is you don't get much heat and your coolant gauge does not build up to normal range.

_3