Thread: is anyone running any rust coatings/protection or undercoatings for our cars?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default is anyone running any rust coatings/protection or undercoatings for our cars?

i picked up a 2006 mazda 3 2.3l which is in decent shape, only 95,000 miles about 150,000 km's and the shape is pretty good, ive seen other mazda's with worse rust especially along the wheel wells. also here in canada where i live we get tons of snow, and cold temps with salted roads which ofc cant be good

i spoke to some people and they told me to get it rust coated asap from underneath especially. anyone running those coatings? and if so is there one thats better then the other? ive heard of some names like Krown etc etc or just get whatever the local shop has done?

thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: is anyone running any rust coatings/protection or undercoatings for our cars?

Krown

Since 2011 every year
    Im at 265K kms
    No rust in wheels wells or on 3rd brake light.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: is anyone running any rust coatings/protection or undercoatings for our cars?

The rust proofing will not stop any rust/corrosion that has already started. Once it's started, you basically have to remove/cut-out the metal to prevent it from spreading. Not sure it would be a good investment unless the vehicle is mint.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to Clarify ... Krown will stop rust that has already started.
    But you to spray it every year... preferably in a hot month for better penetration.
    As long as metal surface stays coated , rust stops.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    to Clarify ... Krown will stop rust that has already started.
    But you to spray it every year... preferably in a hot month for better penetration.
    As long as metal surface stays coated , rust stops.
    I don't think one could claim it will stop existing rust 'completely' from spreading, but it will slow it down pretty good.

To the OP; It can't hurt to get it sprayed, especially if you want to keep it as rust free as possible for a while.

It costs around $120 for a spray and check if there are any affiliation discounts.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    I don't think one could claim it will stop existing rust 'completely' from spreading, but it will slow it down pretty good.

To the OP; It can't hurt to get it sprayed, especially if you want to keep it as rust free as possible for a while.

It costs around $120 for a spray and check if there are any affiliation discounts.

_3
    Correct ! slows that rust to almost nil....
    I did start with a rust free car and pretty much rust free now. Dang... Krown should pay us to advertise!
    8 years old , 265K ...looks 1 year old except with those aging spot freckles on the hood (road chips/highway driving)
    Painting the front in 2021 , DIY makeover

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2011 daily driver that I've taken through the worst days of horrible winters, including a couple in Quebec. Bought it with the anti-corrosion module (which probably doesn't do much tbh) and rustproofed at the dealer, then every year at Krown since 2013. Still zero rust.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family and I have been having Rust Check done (same concept as Krown) for all our cars for over a decade. Never had any rust issues as a result. Definitely worth it. Only paint point is Rust Check is now draining out spot you grab to close the rear hatch (it's just a plastic insert with no seal). I have to wipe it away occasionally. Better than pervasive rust
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under the impression that Rust Check is different than Krown in that they do not drill into the interior to spray whatever they are spraying. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahna Los View Post
    I was under the impression that Rust Check is different than Krown in that they do not drill into the interior to spray whatever they are spraying. Can anyone clarify?
    Spraying without drilling holes is not enough.
    The holes allow access to area the spray cannot reach.
    Both drill holes.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to use Rustcheck for years, but wanted to try something different, so went to Corrosion Control after reading a bunch of different reviews. What I really liked was the no drip afterwards part. No more having to park my car on the street for a week to let all the chemicals drip off the car. The place I went to in Mississauga was good and thorough. I will see how the car looks after the winter. https://www.carrustproofing.ca/
    Just for some reading https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/which-...ervice-is-best
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quicktoy View Post
    I used to use Rustcheck for years, but wanted to try something different, so went to Corrosion Control after reading a bunch of different reviews. What I really liked was the no drip afterwards part. No more having to park my car on the street for a week to let all the chemicals drip off the car. The place I went to in Mississauga was good and thorough. I will see how the car looks after the winter. https://www.carrustproofing.ca/
    Just for some reading https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/which-...ervice-is-best
    Good luck.
    Yes...Krown be drip free would be amazing and applying it every 18 month interval too. TBH never knew they offered a warranty if applied at their interval. Learned something today.
    Was on their the Corrosion Control website :https://corrosionfree.com/ I did go thru it quick though. I did not see them say they drill holes to apply product to unexposed areas.
    Let us know if they do that also?
    They do mention their product is thicker so last longer thats why the interval is longer which is good all around ...save money .
    The issue that concerns me with Corrosion Control is if they dont drill holes to apply un exposed surfaces. TBD.
    And also thicker products dont creep into every & all the tiny crevasses and tiny micro crack and factures like the thinner stuff of Krown & Rustcheck.
    Thats the reason why Krown & RC drip & drip and drip ... plus they overspray big time too. Plus im not sure if the other companies do this
    but with Krown every return visit they do some promo from a $10 off your next appointment, plus free stuff like a free can of rust product , free floor mats,
    Free cineplex tickets (i think i still have some that expire soon... dam covid) , Free salt neutralizing pre wash or engine compartment shampoo ...

Whichever you choose ...just choose to spray something
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 12-07-2020 at 02:53 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (12-26-2020),YepYep (07-17-2022)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahna Los View Post
    Rust Check definitely drills holes. All holes are in areas you will never see with the doors closed and plugged with black caps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it doesn't drip its not running, if it doesn't run it doesn't get into the nicks and crannies where moisture accumulates.

I'm on my 15th Krown spray and so far just slight rusting in prone 'outside' areas.

No worries as its warrantied, since I've done it every year on its anniversary. If it ever gets bad, they will have to fix it.

_3

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (01-01-2021),G ~ MINI (12-10-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it doesn't drip its not running, if it doesn't run it doesn't get into the nicks and crannies where moisture accumulates.

I'm on my 15th Krown spray and so far just slight rusting in prone 'outside' areas.

No worries as its warrantied, since I've done it every year on its anniversary. If it ever gets bad, they will have to fix it.

_3
    Dang ! You are a Krown warrior !

Same here ...rust is only surface rust from chips and such.
    Going to have to do a DYI hood paint job this spring time.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    Yes...Krown be drip free would be amazing and applying it every 18 month interval too. TBH never knew they offered a warranty if applied at their interval. Learned something today.
    Was on their the Corrosion Control website :https://corrosionfree.com/ I did go thru it quick though. I did not see them say they drill holes to apply product to unexposed areas.
    Let us know if they do that also?
    They do mention their product is thicker so last longer thats why the interval is longer which is good all around ...save money .
    The issue that concerns me with Corrosion Control is if they dont drill holes to apply un exposed surfaces. TBD.
    And also thicker products dont creep into every & all the tiny crevasses and tiny micro crack and factures like the thinner stuff of Krown & Rustcheck.
    Thats the reason why Krown & RC drip & drip and drip ... plus they overspray big time too. Plus im not sure if the other companies do this
    but with Krown every return visit they do some promo from a $10 off your next appointment, plus free stuff like a free can of rust product , free floor mats,
    Free cineplex tickets (i think i still have some that expire soon... dam covid) , Free salt neutralizing pre wash or engine compartment shampoo ...

Whichever you choose ...just choose to spray something
    I already had holes drilled from previous rust proofing, so cant say if they do or not. I guess you would need to call them to find out.
    FWIW They do give you a free car wash. :-)

As far as the worry about not dripping = not getting into all the nooks and crannies. I don't think that is the case. Looking at some of the places where it was applied it has got in deep. No doubt there is something in their formula that allows for flow but not excessive dripping. I don't think it is viscosity based. It's not thick and gooey. Some sort of molecular adhesive property blah, blah, blah... :-)
    I'll report back come spring and get under the car again and see how things are looking. If I don't like what I see, back to Rustcheck.

Agree with you 100% Spray something!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quicktoy View Post
    I already had holes drilled from previous rust proofing, so cant say if they do or not. I guess you would need to call them to find out.
    FWIW They do give you a free car wash. :-)
    My first time going to Krown last month and I didn't know they wash the car after, I was watching from the viewing area and saw them using the same brush and wash mitts from the previous cars before me and I nearly had a stroke...next time I'll tell them it's all good i'll take care of it...only minor swirl marks thank gawd

friendly folks nonetheless and I'm happy to keep returning in the future...although I'm definitely going to get it done at the lakeshore location for the TM3 discount!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_3
    Sorry that may have been true years ago but not now. Corrosion Free will run into nooks and crannies. Its a much newer formulation.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to RustyMZ3 For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (10-10-2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMZ3 View Post
    Sorry that may have been true years ago but not now. Corrosion Free will run into nooks and crannies. Its a much newer formulation.
    Another thought on Corrosion Free being thicker ... hence why the interval is longer between application . a Thicker layer
    staying adhered the your car metal. Thicker - i read that it is thicker than paint and cannot be sprayed with a paint sprayer for DIY applications.
    I would assume like Krown the product evaporates and or washes off with undercarriage rain / car washes over time.
    It will likely be heavier. So if you are watching your cars weight (track/competitive stuff) stay with lighter product.
    Standard under car coating like tar based is heaviest. Dripless oil sprays that wax up solid next. Then thicker stuff like Corrosion free. Finally,
    the drip stuff like Krown. Although the amount of weight added to a vehicle with an undercoating like tar and wax thicker stuff is between 10 to 20 pounds for most vehicles.

Bottom Line ---- Spray Something !

23. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (01-06-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMZ3 View Post
    Sorry but my statement still stands true; "If it doesn't drip its not running, if it doesn't run it doesn't get into the nooks and crannies where moisture accumulates."

_3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my original 3 undercoated, never did my Speed3 and really wish I had. The underside is not in prestine condition to say the least. No rust in panels or anywhere else, but the abused underside..yikes. Mind you it's a 10 year old car now, still, if I could go back in time, I would have had the underside coated.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

26. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (01-11-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    I had my original 3 undercoated, never did my Speed3 and really wish I had. The underside is not in prestine condition to say the least. No rust in panels or anywhere else, but the abused underside..yikes. Mind you it's a 10 year old car now, still, if I could go back in time, I would have had the underside coated.

When i started getting it sprayed in 2013&14 i was always thinking , do i need to spend that extra cash ( i was in between jobs and cash was tight, child support payments).
    Happy i did , since i made the commitment to keep and mod it. It is never to late , even on a 10 year old car. Krown will stop whatever is happening .

The moral of the story should now be :

Spray something .... its never too late !