Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014 Mazda 3 GS Sport WEIRD noise while Driving!! Please help

Hi everyone,

After doing thorough research about the vehicle from this forum and many other resources online I decided to recently purchase my first vehicle ever, a 2014 Mazda 3 GS Sport and I love it so far! The vehicle came with some winter tires but they weren't too good so my mechanic sold me some new ones (Yokohama IG53 92H 205/60/16) and we used the old rims that were a bit rusted but nothing crazy. Regular maintenance servicing was done on Nov 16th and tires were also installed on this date. A few days ago I started noticing this weird sound coming from the front of the vehicle when I started driving. It seems to happen especially when I turn the wheel to the right and is present when travelling at low-medium high speeds. Sometimes you can hear it on the highway but most times not. I have no idea what it is, sounds like a pulsating high pitched noise.

I've read some stuff about the brake dust guard sometimes rubbing and needing to be pushed away from the rotor so that's my first guess? My other guesses are that the wheels weren't torqued up evenly which is causing some brake rubbing? Maybe something needs lubrication? The vehicle was safety certified late October before purchasing and the front brakes were redone (calipers, rotors, pads) along with front control arms. Maybe the mechanic that worked on the brakes was inexperienced with Mazda's? Everything on the vehicle looks fine and is in good condition (engine, transmission, brakes, power steering) according to two mechanics who inspected my car. Rust is also at a very acceptable level for a 6 year old car in Canadian climate.

If you could please give me some advice or help investigate the issue with me that would be greatly appreciated. Any questions please drop a comment and I'll reply ASAP. This sound is starting to make me nervous although I have noticed no decrease in performance of the brakes, steering or any of that. As soon as this winter storm rolls over I'm going to get it checked (any shops in the Mississauga area that are familiar with Mazda's that you could recommend me would be appreciated as well)

Please have a look at some videos I recorded today to help catch the sound. (Note: I don't use the phone while driving, this case was only to record and help diagnose this issue).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ybe...nel=Diflexster

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda 3 GS Sport WEIRD noise while Driving!! Please help

I would take the vehicle back to where you got the winters installed

From you video, it does sound like something is rubbing. Do you smell anything burning like the brakes?

One possibility is that the wheel weights may be rubbing against the caliper or dust shield.

If all of this started shortly after the winters were put on, maybe try to swap the summers back on and see if the problem disappears. This way you could zero in on the wheels as the issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SonicBoy For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (12-12-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely have the wheels rechecked with whom installed them!!

Other possible high pitched noises can come from wheel bearing and also transmission gears with low tranny fluid levels.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (12-12-2020)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info SonicBoy & G~Mini

Getting it checked Thursday afternoon. For now the car sits in the garage hopefully something minor

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    Absolutely have the wheels rechecked with whom installed them!!

Other possible high pitched noises can come from wheel bearing and also transmission gears with low tranny fluid levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    I would take the vehicle back to where you got the winters installed

From you video, it does sound like something is rubbing. Do you smell anything burning like the brakes?

One possibility is that the wheel weights may be rubbing against the caliper or dust shield.

If all of this started shortly after the winters were put on, maybe try to swap the summers back on and see if the problem disappears. This way you could zero in on the wheels as the issue.
    Thanks again guys. Mechanics took it for a test drive and of course the car didn't want to reproduce that sound until we were at a roll slowing down at a traffic light. Took it back to the shop and raised it on the hoist and he found that the brake dust guard was rubbing on the disc so he pryed both of them away and checked the brakes for any other issues and couldn't find anything. So far no noise but they said if the sound persists to bring it back in and they'll take care of it so at least I have that assurance.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diflexster12 View Post
    Thanks again guys. Mechanics took it for a test drive and of course the car didn't want to reproduce that sound until we were at a roll slowing down at a traffic light. Took it back to the shop and raised it on the hoist and he found that the brake dust guard was rubbing on the disc so he pryed both of them away and checked the brakes for any other issues and couldn't find anything. So far no noise but they said if the sound persists to bring it back in and they'll take care of it so at least I have that assurance.
    Easy Fix ... Good

9. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (10-10-2022)

Noob
    Ride
    Volvo S80, Yamaha 1300
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diflexster12 View Post
    So far no noise but they said if the sound persists to bring it back in and they'll take care of it so at least I have that assurance.

Should the problem return, another item to check is the front brake mounting hardware. The stainless steel inserts can slide laterally until they contact the rotor, causing an intermittent squealing/scraping sound.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to don67 For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (12-26-2020)