Thread: No Crank after throttle body cleaning 2005 2.0L

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No Crank after throttle body cleaning 2005 2.0L

Need some help troubleshooting a No Crank start problem.
    2005 Mazda 3, 2.0L, base model, Manual Transmission, 180,000 Km

Prior to work on the vehicle, I disconnected the negative battery terminal and left it disconnected for two days.

After removing the throttle body, and intake manifold, I cleaned the intake manifold and throttle body, and replaced the PCV valve along with the rubber hose that connects it to the manifold. During this process, I also removed the injectors with the fuel rail as the intake manifold could not be removed otherwise.
    I reassembled everything and double checked all my connections.

I have removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the throttle body in the past without any issues or starting problems. I have heard somewhere that the throttle plate should not be moved during cleaning. Inadvertently, I may have done this on this occasion. I don't believe i did but cannot tell for sure.

After reconnecting the battery, I turned the ignition switch ON, two click (accessories) and heard a whining noise, which I thought was the fuel pump pressurizing the system, but the noise did not stop after sometime and I turned the key to Start. The engine would not crank.
    Turned the ignition key off and then back two clicks (accessories) and then heard a whining noise again. Turned out the noise was coming from the throttle body. Sounded like the throttle body motor wanted to move, but could not.

With the key left on, all of a sudden the horn starter blasting with the four way indicator light flashing. Appears the computer set an anti theft alarm. I disconnected the battery to shut it off.

Rechecked all my connections again and measured pins E and F on throttle body connector side (as per Mazda OEM manual). The resistance between E and F should be between 0.3 to 100 ohms. I measured 1.8 ohm with throttle plate closed.

Reconnected the throttle connector and attempted to start, but engine would not crank.
    Checked for engine code and found non.
    After turning the ignition off, as I approached the engine compartment, noticed that the throttle was fully open and then it would slowly close.

Hope someone on this forum has some experience or idea of what should be my next troubleshooting step.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JimK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: No Crank after throttle body cleaning 2005 2.0L

Check your main fuses first, but it sounds like a dead battery, or a very low one.

These cars will do weird things with a low battery, such as flash lights etc.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Check your main fuses first, but it sounds like a dead battery, or a very low one.

These cars will do weird things with a low battery, such as flash lights etc.

_3
    Good to know ...i'll have to remember that if theres no codes and Car starts to do a tamagotchi noises and lights.
    I think guys who made tama programed the ecu in japan cars ...lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    Good to know ...i'll have to remember that if theres no codes and Car starts to do a tamagotchi noises and lights.
    I think guys who made tama programed the ecu in japan cars ...lol
    Well typically if a engine does not crank whatsoever, it is an issue with the primary electrical system. Main causes are a dead battery, a starter connection or wire, or a dead solenoid/starter. Secondary and rarer issues are a main fuse blown, a short in the main harness or ECM computer.

@jkmazda3 should recognise that he can have all the parts he mentioned off the engine and it will still crank as they are not associated. It won't start but it will still crank.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Well typically if a engine does not crank whatsoever, it is an issue with the primary electrical system. Main causes are a dead battery, a starter connection or wire, or a dead solenoid/starter. Secondary and rarer issues are a main fuse blown, a short in the main harness or ECM computer.

@jkmazda3 should recognise that he can have all the parts he mentioned off the engine and it will still crank as they are not associated. It won't start but it will still crank.

_3
    So true !!
    Funny ... yesterday car would not start. Of course i have not started car for 2 weeks+.
    I pull out the 2lbs Tacklife T8 portable booster and ... bamm ...she starts.
    This T8 has 800a to crank (30 boosts per charge). Attachments to power a tire inflator, even charge your phone or run your laptop
    It got me thinking .... why do i need a 40lbs car battery. (kidding.. planning to swap in 3lb lithium car/bike battery this year)
    It would be a hassle to have to boost it every time i need to start it.
    But ... the ultimate car theft protection ... cant steal what you cant start....lol
    But then there will be some smart ass like me with a Tacklife T8 ... boosting those cars.. lololol
    I need this craziness to over already and spring to arrive , and my sanity to return
    before i use the T8 to boost my brain .....

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Root Cause found.

Sorry I did not post earlier, I thought I did.

Root Cause 1: Overthinking the problem and associating it to the job I just completed.

Actual Root Cause:
    Corrosion on the spade plug to the starter solenoid. (Connection is environmentally unprotected and should have been bolted, as opposed to a cheap exposed plug.) The connector must have been disturbed during removal of the intake manifold.

I did suspect power to the solenoid and did clean it, but still no start.
    So, I jumped the power directly from the battery to the starter solenoid and it picked up. Pluged in the spade connector and it still would not start with the key.

Performed extensive cleaning, sanding, spraying of contact cleaners until there was good metal to metal contact. Then I covered all metal parts with thick dielectric silicon grease.

I have read a lot of post on cleaning the throttle body and warnings of accidental throttle plate movements resulting in engine problems. I did accidently move the throttle plate during cleaning and thought this could have cause the problem.

Speaking with a Ford dealer mechanic, I was informed that they have replaced many throttle bodies and they did not do anything special to calibrate the throttle plate position. The ECU will cycle the plate and calibrate on power up/down.

So I failed to follow the first rule of problem solving. Check first the simple obvious causes.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jkmazda3 View Post
    Root Cause found.

Sorry I did not post earlier, I thought I did.

Root Cause 1: Overthinking the problem and associating it to the job I just completed.

Actual Root Cause:
    Corrosion on the spade plug to the starter solenoid. (Connection is environmentally unprotected and should have been bolted, as opposed to a cheap exposed plug.) The connector must have been disturbed during removal of the intake manifold.

I did suspect power to the solenoid and did clean it, but still no start.
    So, I jumped the power directly from the battery to the starter solenoid and it picked up. Pluged in the spade connector and it still would not start with the key.

Performed extensive cleaning, sanding, spraying of contact cleaners until there was good metal to metal contact. Then I covered all metal parts with thick dielectric silicon grease.

I have read a lot of post on cleaning the throttle body and warnings of accidental throttle plate movements resulting in engine problems. I did accidently move the throttle plate during cleaning and thought this could have cause the problem.

Speaking with a Ford dealer mechanic, I was informed that they have replaced many throttle bodies and they did not do anything special to calibrate the throttle plate position. The ECU will cycle the plate and calibrate on power up/down.

So I failed to follow the first rule of problem solving. Check first the simple obvious causes.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
    Thanks for the info ... any info is always good info and always provides insight.

Im thinking now regular/yearly application of rustproofing like Krown ... because its light coating and gets everywhere when they overspray,
    may actually help create a barrier to rusting / corrosion .

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the future, work smarter, not harder.... taking out the intake manifold to clean it is a big waste of time/effort... just get an engine induction cleaner or seafoam and have it sucked in through a vacuum hose closest to the throttle, and it'll clean out most of the intake manifold... pros do this every day with great success
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMAN For This Useful Post:

G ~ MINI (03-02-2021)