Thread: Suspension : Lowering springs with KONI vs Coilovers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Suspension : Lowering springs with KONI vs Coilovers

I know many who swap in Lowering springs (Pro/Corksport/Ebach/others) also pair them with non adjustable KONI or ST. Dropping coilovers too low...
    But they all have their limitations. Sporty Daily drive, lowered look only, to light competition at autocross and occasional tracking.

(Here is the condensed version from a KONI factory expert)
    Coilovers give users the option to improve and customize their car, but can also sour the handling if poorly adjusted. Often, after installing a set of coilovers,
    the impressionable types will lower their car past the height for which the geometry is designed. A lowered center of gravity, are just two things a well-sorted
    coilover provides. But itís important to remember; it still needs to cushion the car over bumps and facilitate the right rate of weight transfer. Essentially, the
    function of a shock is to improve the contact patch and control body movement. Both lowering and coilovers can do that....

First, youíve got to ask: Whatís the long-term plan with this car? Daily driver, weekend-only toy, dedicated track car, show car, or a mix?
    Once youíve considered how much youíre willing to compromise, youíll have a better sense of what products are appropriate.

When you are only interested in a handful of track days in an otherwise daily driver, a set of replacement non-adjustable shocks is what you need.
    They will work better than the OEM items; their damping is better-suited for performance driving. Plus, since car manufacturers are known to save
    money on things that arenít visible to the naked eye, itís fair to assume that a modestly priced set of performance shocks will make a significant
    difference ó enough to introduce the avid amateur to a level of crispness theyíre not familiar with seeing.

KONI says: For most beginners, they really just need to focus on ride height, which can be done with a simple strut and spring combination.
    Their driving level isnít high enough yet to appreciate and tune what the carís doing, so a coilover would only confuse them,Ē he says.

These non-adjustable shocks quickly become limiting for the more experienced driver who is ready to refine the carís handling and responses.
    Unable to provide adequate chassis and suspension tuning, the non-adjustable shocks limit the more demanding drivers.

Now if you thinking of going to coilovers. ďIím a firm believer in strengthening the weakest link in the chain, so adding a set of $2,000 coilovers
    isnít smart if the rest of the car isnít tight and up to the task.Ē Like adding tower brace, lower braces, other under carriage braces and stronger
    stabilizer bars. Its doesnt mean that coilovers wont work without all that , just means it will works better with them.

Thereís plenty of misinformation going around on the internet which suggests that someone canít have fun with the car until there are go-fast parts on it.
    To be honest, all you truly need are good shocks, good brakes, and good tires.

Hope that helps you with what to expect with lowered vs coilovers or just good shocks and how to get it from your car.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Daileydose (02-27-2021),Diflexster12 (02-27-2021)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Suspension : Lowering springs with KONI vs Coilovers

Awesome. After doing tons of reading I invested in Koni Red Special Active (FSDs) Dampers paired with Eibach Pro kit lowering springs for my 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback. Going to be installing them within the next month. I wanted to lower the ride height and improve performance a bit while not murdering the ride quality. There are dozens of folks on Mazda Revolution that are extremely happy with this setup for daily driving. I didn't go with Bilsteins or Koni Yellow Sport because I didn't want the ride to be too harsh.

I will update once they've been installed and settled in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Diflexster12 For This Useful Post:

G ~ MINI (03-02-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diflexster12 View Post
    Awesome. After doing tons of reading I invested in Koni Red Special Active (FSDs) Dampers paired with Eibach Pro kit lowering springs for my 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback. Going to be installing them within the next month. I wanted to lower the ride height and improve performance a bit while not murdering the ride quality. There are dozens of folks on Mazda Revolution that are extremely happy with this setup for daily driving. I didn't go with Bilsteins or Koni Yellow Sport because I didn't want the ride to be too harsh.

I will update once they've been installed and settled in!
    Please do that ... people love to know

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thatís good advice. Itís easy to get carried away with what you read online, taking it as truth vs your own experience. Especially when youíre not 100% sure what youíre supposed to be noticing!

I recently had ordered the koni yellow kit that came with springs (pro kit?) but turns out most websites donít have it in stock any more , so I opted for bilstein b14 coilovers instead. The dampeners arenít adjustable, but I think it will be a solid set up for a car that is mostly street driven with some occasional auto crossing. I recently snagged a set of NC Miata wheels for cheap locally, on my scale they are weighing almost 5 lbs lighter per wheel than my stock Mazda 3 wheels. I think combined with the coilovers , I will have a nice set up to improve my times on for a while! Iíd like to try taking my 3 to the track for the first time this year as well but weíll see about that with a higher mileage engine I guess.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timuhai For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-07-2021),G ~ MINI (03-05-2021)