Thread: Brake pads : OEM Pads vs Aftermarket performance

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brake pads : OEM Pads vs Aftermarket performance

In continuing with my performance upgrade theme.
    When you are ready to replace your oem pads why not go for aftermarket performance.
    Hey ... they do most often cost more than OEM pads. But, if you want a shorter stopping distance,
    less fade, less dust, longer wear or same wear as oem but with added benefits.

Have a look at this youtube comparison of OEM pads stopping distance vs a EBC red and Hawks HP plus.
    Just the fact of switching to aftermarket performance pad drops you stopping distance with both the EBC or Hawks
    plus many other factors (more dust , less dust, less fade , longer wear, more bite, less bite) to consider to match
    your driving style.

https://youtu.be/V8AbJkKrwNU

2. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (02-27-2021)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brake pads : OEM Pads vs Aftermarket performance

Interesting video! Would upgrading to these aftermarket pads "chew up" the OEM Rotors more so than OEM pads? That's my only concern. Otherwise I'm sold on the extra stopping distance and added extra benefits (who isn't?!! )

Next time I'm due for new pads I'll probably use EBC Red!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diflexster12 View Post
    Interesting video! Would upgrading to these aftermarket pads "chew up" the OEM Rotors more so than OEM pads? That's my only concern. Otherwise I'm sold on the extra stopping distance and added extra benefits (who isn't?!! )

Next time I'm due for new pads I'll probably use EBC Red!
    TBH , some pads cost more than oem rotors and ..They are not supposed to wear out the rotors faster , the pads bite more so pad would wear faster.
    But then again , alot of variables depend on you ...how you drive and brake ... manual vs auto transmission ...are you a downshifter or more on the brakes.
    Are you more spirited a driver and are you at a track often ( short tracks vs long tracks) . If you are at the track alot many switch out their pads for more aggressive
    race higher temp compound and then back to daily spirited pads. I may start doing that if i start doing more track.

Also remember that the majority of your braking done with your fronts. Up to 75% of braking is handled by your fronts and that also means the fronts wear out faster...
    but the front pads tend to be thicker than the rears... so it does balance out that a daily driver changes the front and rear at about the same time. On a regular daily drive
    hard emergency brake your fronts get to about 500F. On the Track / Autocross you are pushing the temp very high on the fronts 1000F + and often and you dont want them to fade.
    Too hot for your application and the pads wear out too fast. Hence why you may swap out and in a race compound pad .
    (way easier with big brakes , once wheel is off its couple screws and voila .. race compound on.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThYGdxS19xU (btw in video hes swapping Endless brake pads)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-02-2021)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aftermarket "performance" brake pads are not always better than the stock OEM pads.... many of them are street pads that are biased towards good initial bite, that gives the perception that they work better than stock... in reality, they have poor coefficient of friction once heated up, and have poor fade resistance or poor performance compared to stock

so buyer beware... shop carefully for the right brake pad... ones that equal or exceed OEM brake pads cost as much, if not more, and can dust a lot, make a lot of noise, takes warming up, and/or eat rotors

for most of us, OEM works fine, and offers excellent all around performance, for most situations

btw, OEM = original equipment manufacturer... that means Mazda... if it's not from Mazda, it's not OEM... buying from Parts Source, crappy tire, etc, is not OEM but aftermarket replacement
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMAN For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-02-2021),G ~ MINI (03-03-2021),Johns 08 3 GT (03-03-2021)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stock pads on my 1st gen were either ATE or Akibono. Either way they lasted 90,000km and I dont drive light. Replaced them with the same OE. Great pedal feel.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johns 08 3 GT For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-03-2021),G ~ MINI (03-03-2021),TheMAN (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    aftermarket "performance" brake pads are not always better than the stock OEM pads.... many of them are street pads that are biased towards good initial bite, that gives the perception that they work better than stock... in reality, they have poor coefficient of friction once heated up, and have poor fade resistance or poor performance compared to stock

so buyer beware... shop carefully for the right brake pad... ones that equal or exceed OEM brake pads cost as much, if not more, and can dust a lot, make a lot of noise, takes warming up, and/or eat rotors

for most of us, OEM works fine, and offers excellent all around performance, for most situations

btw, OEM = original equipment manufacturer... that means Mazda... if it's not from Mazda, it's not OEM... buying from Parts Source, crappy tire, etc, is not OEM but aftermarket replacement
    My Bad ....
    When i speak about aftermarket i dont mean what you said : Napa, Parts Source , Ebay, C Tire ...I totally agree ! OEM means Mazda oem parts. I should have mentioned it at the start.
    I always replace with mazda genuine parts on my 3 unless i know i can get better performance , usually from Race tested products.
    For example : Silicone radiator hoses, Braided brake/clutch lines, Upgrade calipers 2 -> 4 or 6 pots fronts, race Brake fluid (higher temps).

For brakes pads these below will cost 2x, 3x more than OEM but will , bite more, brake fade less, dust more, more noise, wear out faster because higher friction , and not wear rotors out any faster,
    but may not last longer than a OEM Mazda pad (all depends how and where you drive them) ... Take a OEM mazda pad to the track all day and you will cook your pads and need a new set.
    You want long intervals between replacement then go with Mazda oem. You like to drive fast and you are an aggressively sprinted at heart driver like I ...well i want to be able to brake way shorter than OEM.
    Once i get the summer rubber on i'll do a video like the one i posted at the start ... find a place i do 100kph - 0 and where my brake distance is. Greatly reduced brake distance is not without better tires.
    Switching from OEM all seasons tires you got your new mazda to Summer tires will drop the brakes distance ..even on OEM Mazda pads... Thats another subject altogether...

After market Pads like these:
    - PFC
    - Pagid
    - Hawk 5.0 & HPS
    - Carbone Lorraine
    - Ferodo
    - Brembo (B51)
    - AP Racing
    - ACRE
    - BENDIX
    - G-Loc
    - EBC Yellow Stuff
    - EBC Blue Stuff
    - EBC Orange Stuff

Bottom line ... Do your research !!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-03-2021)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stoptech 309/street performance is the best all rounder pad. Been using them since 2013 for DD use, track use, autocross, Tail of the Dragon and more

It can handle track abuse.
    It can handle winter.
    It has a good bite feel.
    It only makes squeals when they're so hot they're smoking.
    They're not that pricey.
    They don't shrek your rotors

Only downside is they're dusty, so you'll need to clean your wheels from time to time.

Although at least on the 2018s the stock pads were not bad at all. Pleasantly surprised by them.
    Never stop zoom-zooming

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-11-2021),G ~ MINI (03-11-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubcee View Post
    Stoptech 309/street performance is the best all rounder pad. Been using them since 2013 for DD use, track use, autocross, Tail of the Dragon and more

It can handle track abuse.
    It can handle winter.
    It has a good bite feel.
    It only makes squeals when they're so hot they're smoking.
    They're not that pricey.
    They don't shrek your rotors

Only downside is they're dusty, so you'll need to clean your wheels from time to time.

Although at least on the 2018s the stock pads were not bad at all. Pleasantly surprised by them.

Completely forgot about StopTech adding them to my list .

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of looking into the Akebono or StopTech 309s as my next set for my 2014 when they're due

I am a bit hard on the brakes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diflexster12 View Post
    Thinking of looking into the Akebono or StopTech 309s as my next set for my 2014 when they're due

I am a bit hard on the brakes
    Maybe the Akebono performance ultra ceramic or Stop Tech police duty pads or EBC yellow stuff.

Im on the Hawk Performance HPS 5.0 on the rear. Fronts something similar to to the 5.0

There is alot out there to suit your application (longer pad life , less brake dust) and your overall driving style.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-11-2021)