Thread: Synthetic Oil ~ the difference between Racing oil and Street oil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Synthetic Oil ~ the difference between Racing oil and Street oil

For those considering Racing oil have a look at the list below. If the oil is rated not suitable for Street it is because of elevated Zinc & Phosphorous will harms the Catalytics (renders the platinum ineffective in converting carbon monoxide to dioxide) and also degrades the O2 sensors. This happens by oil seeping thru blow out by the piston rings because of with excessive gap, usually found in high mileage engines. Also, Racing oil is for performance and If do plan to use Racing oils they are intended for low oil change interval. Racing oil and street oil are very different from each other. The key differences lie in the base oil chemistry and the additives added to the oil. These additives contribute all sorts of lubrication efficiency and protection when it comes to friction reduction, anti-wear, and corrosion resistance, more important high temperature protection from shearing. The Street oils beat racing oil in having more detergents, hence why we can have longer oil change intervals with street oil.
    The additives in racing oil are focused on providing the most performance and protection. They utilize a lot of the same additives as normal street oils, just much higher concentrations (but less or no detergents).
    The Street oils will use more MOLY (like the Mazda oem oil) and race oil do not have Moly or very little or much less compared street oils , but use Zinc & Phos which is more slippy than Moly.

Here is the list of best racing oil ranked by PSI strength. The higher the PSI strength the better the oil is at preventing wear. Oils within 10% of each other can be considered approximately equivalent. All of these racing oils were tested at 230 degrees Fahrenheit. Multiple tests were conducted.

The list will be broken down into five distinct categories based on the PSI strength. The best racing oil with over 105,000 PSI have incredible protection. Oils between 90,000 and 105,000 have outstanding protection. Oils between 75,000 and 90,000 PSI have good protection. Oils between 60,000 and 75,000 have modest protection. And racing oil below 60,000 PSI possess undesirable protection. This list could also be referred to as a high zinc oil list as that is one of the key additives we all look at. Most racing oil is not suitable for long term street use. Alot of the oils are 10W and not suitable for a Mazda engine specs. But do look at all the 0W and 5W (i bolded all of them). If you are tracking and running 10W oils let me know i'll send you the link where i got this info.
    What blew me away ( i was considering this oil) was that Mobil1 racing oil is undesirable and low thermal breakdown. To shorten the list i only showed all 0W & 5W...
    Mazda's Synthetic 0w-20 GF-5 with moly has about 650ppm.

Best Racing Oil
    Incredible Protection (The Best Racing Oil Available)
    5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, Synthetic – 112,464 PSI
    Zinc: 1724 ppm Phos: 1547 ppm Moly: 481 ppm Calcium: 3141 ppm TBN: 7.4
    CFS 0W30 NT Millers Nanodrive Racing Oil, API SM synthetic – 105,907 PSI
    Zinc: N/A Phos: N/A Moly: N/A

Outstanding Protection
    5W40 High Performance Lubricants Racing Oil, Synthetic – 92,693 PSI

5W30 Maxima RS530 Synthetic Racing Oil – 91,162 PSI
    Zinc: 2162 ppm Phos: 2294 ppm Moly: 181 ppm
    Zinc too high for just street use.

Good Protection
    5W30 Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 5, Synthetic – 88,992 PSI
    5W30 LAT Synthetic Racing Oil, API SM – 81,800 PSI
    Zinc: 1784 ppm Phos: 1539 ppm Moly: 598 ppm

Modest Protection
    5W30 Royal Purple XPR (Extreme Performance Racing) – 74,860 PSI
    Zinc: 1421 ppm Phos: 1338 ppm Moly: 204 ppm
    0W50 Mobil 1 Racing Oil – 73,811 PSI
    Zinc: 1676 ppm Phos: 1637 ppm Moly: 1263 ppm
    Onset of thermal breakdown – 270*F (I would stay away from this one)
    0W30 Mobil 1 Racing Oil – 71,923 PSI
    Zinc: 1693 ppm Phos: 1667 ppm Moly: 1326 ppm
    Onset of thermal breakdown – 280*F (i would stay away from this one)
    5W30 Klotz Estorlin Racing Oil, API SL, synthetic – 64,175 PSI
    Zinc: 1765 ppm Phos: 2468 ppm Moly: 339 ppm
    0W20 Klotz Estorlin Racing Oil, API SL, Synthetic – 60,941 PSI

Undesirable Protection (NOT The Best Racing Oil!)
    0W20 LAT Synthetic Racing Oil, API SM – 57,228 PSI
    0W Mobil 1 Racing Oil – 55,080 PSI
    Zinc: 1952 ppm Phos: 1671 ppm Moly: 1743 ppm
    Onset of thermal breakdown – 210*F, which was confirmed by repeated tests.
    This oil is STARTING TO FAIL even before getting hot enough to quickly boil off normal water condensation.
    And this is on top of its very poor wear protection capability. Stay away from Mobil1 Racing oils. All grades seem to have thermal fails.

From what i have read and researched the MOTUL 300V 0W & 5W can be considered for street use but with low oil change interval (estimated 1000kms
    street/ track / autocross use ) Given that work from home is the norm this can easily last 1000kms. The interval suggestion my racing oil manufacturers is based on
    extreme engine exposure / race conditions (1-3hr racing event then change oil).
    I plan on trying the Motul 300V racing oil in 2021. Also another Racing oil not on this list i will also try is SARD LMGT Racing Full Synthetic Engine Oil (0W & 5W)
    which has the same specs as the 300V and not as expensive per litre. If you are considering using Racing oil for the summer months go with anything above 90,000 PSI
    which will offer better all around protection and will not degrade and less worry if you push your engine and the interval...

Happy to hear of your experiences !!
    What you have used?
    How you used it and for how long?
    What type of oil filter did you use ?

BTW, oil filters will be my next topic :
    OEM vs Aftermarket / paper & synthetic / pressure release valve / magnetic core to trap metal debris .
    I use a magnetic drain plug ... theres a filter with a magnet ...
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 02-24-2021 at 03:41 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (02-27-2021),TheMAN (02-27-2021)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Synthetic Oil ~ the difference between Racing oil and Street oil

Thanks for the posts G! While I don't intend on tracking my car It's very interesting to read up on the racing oils and the different level of protection they offer! Eager to read your next post on oil filters.

On a side note I had a question you would probably have a good answer to. On the r/Mazda3 subreddit, it is recommended to use Mazda's high molly GF-5 0W-20. They say it is arguably the best oil for Skyactiv Engines. Is it worth spending to acquire this oil and using the Mazda OEM Oil Filter or would one be safe to use whatever synthetic oil and filter the shops use? I plan on religiously getting the oil changed every 4 months or 8,000 kms. The car is my daily driver and I want to take care of it so if it's really worth it, I don't mind buying the Mazda oil and filter

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diflexster12 View Post
    Thanks for the posts G! While I don't intend on tracking my car It's very interesting to read up on the racing oils and the different level of protection they offer! Eager to read your next post on oil filters.

On a side note I had a question you would probably have a good answer to. On the r/Mazda3 subreddit, it is recommended to use Mazda's high molly GF-5 0W-20. They say it is arguably the best oil for Skyactiv Engines. Is it worth spending to acquire this oil and using the Mazda OEM Oil Filter or would one be safe to use whatever synthetic oil and filter the shops use? I plan on religiously getting the oil changed every 4 months or 8,000 kms. The car is my daily driver and I want to take care of it so if it's really worth it, I don't mind buying the Mazda oil and filter
    Short answer ..Yes .
    When my car was Under warranty and a bit after it was off i had the dealership do the regular interval. Oil / filter was $80-90 plus they inspected the car and got a report .. brake wear, tire depth , This due next year, you need to look at spark plug at this mileage .. I liked getting that and i like my dealership (Agincourt Mazda) and i still store my summers there. You can get that high moly oil and oem from dealership parts dept and mention you are a TM3 for 10% off (my dealership) .

Or you can use any good synthetic non racing (some companies mentioned below in thread like amsoil / mobil1 / redline / motul / royal purple / liqui moly etc )
    and add a MoS2 from liqui moly which is a Moly additive. I think the oem japan 0w20 is from Idemitsu , a mazda specific high moly blend.

When i got off warranty and was at about 200K i moved to the 5w20 Liquimoly molygen (higher mileage = more wear n tear / ring gap) so thicker oil to fill gap but just as slippy as the 0w20. I also started to use the K&N gold performance oil filter (larger non paper filtering membrane and faster flow) and switched to magnetic oil drain plug too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-02-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those with modified fast street or competing on Autocross and Time Attack

Here is another Racing Oil / Motorsport oil to consider ... its not cheap but in the same price range as MOTUL 300V oils
    Most newest synthetics are ester based technology , Ester Core for Motul

Miller Oils Triple Ester NanoDrive Tech

5w40 specs ---> https://www.millersoils.co.uk/wp-con...-5w40-NT-4.pdf

0w30 specs ----> https://www.millersoils.co.uk/wp-con...FS-0w30-NT.pdf

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    For those with modified fast street or competing on Autocross and Time Attack

Here is another Racing Oil / Motorsport oil to consider ... its not cheap but in the same price range as MOTUL 300V oils
    Most newest synthetics are ester based technology , Ester Core for Motul

Miller Oils Triple Ester NanoDrive Tech

5w40 specs ---> https://www.millersoils.co.uk/wp-con...-5w40-NT-4.pdf

0w30 specs ----> https://www.millersoils.co.uk/wp-con...FS-0w30-NT.pdf

Miller Oils got back to tell me the both oils have 1550 ZDDP ( ZINC additive)
    but the other ingredients / mixture is proprietary .. or patented (I did not check)

Anyways ... bottom line is engine re-build swears by this oil and has told me many track enthusiast (car & motorcycle)
    and competitive race team use it. This oil is not anymore expensive the MOTUL 300V series of oil .
    Rated in the best below with Motul 300V

This oil is available at ULTRARAY Motorsport (OakVille , the Canadian distributor ) https://ultraraymotorsports.com/prod...ls/motorsport/

I will also reach to Jon at Ultraray and ask if has discounts for car club like TM3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (04-13-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE on Miller Oils Pricing :

As per Miller oil and testing this oil is comparable to Motul 300V but at a lesser price than the 300V.
    Miller oils have the full additive package that a street oil would so it can go at least as long you would normally go between changes
    if not racing endurance. In my opinion a better additive package and ester base than Motul 300v .
    Read the product specs (see links) for yourself in a previous post. I say use in your spring/summer oil change and see if there is difference
    in how the car feels . I will actually compare Millers oils against SARD Racing 5w30 this summer after engine break in.

Miller Oils Triple ester synthetic oil is available at Ultraray Motorsport
    Email Jon to order ----> jdunski@ultraray.com

Pricing for TM3 : (free shipping within GTA & surrounding towns, check with Jon)

5L jugs 0w20, 0w30 - $105

5L jugs 5w40, 10w50, 10w60 - $99

Also to consider is their Extra Cool additive . Drop your radiator temps 15C , especially concerning if your run a Speed3
    you want to keep that Turbo engine heat down. Product , like the Mishimoto Chill additive also inhibits deposit formation and
    corrosion protection so that radiator coolant flows better.
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 04-14-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

follow up on Miller Oils

Here is a great PDF link from Miller Oils that compares and explains viscosity and additives in oils
    and how there nano triple ester synthetics compare...How your mods affect your oil. If you track and autocross
    which oil w rating is best.. etc plus gear oil . Hava a look at their fuel treatment stuff & rad chill stuff too
    https://www.millersoils.co.uk/wp-con...Motorsport.pdf

Have a question the PDF does not answer ...you can always reach out to
    Email Jon at Ultraray Motorsport ----> jdunski@ultraray.com
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 04-27-2021 at 12:20 PM.