Thread: Smart turn activated using Forscan. Dealer said they couldn't do it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Smart turn activated using Forscan. Dealer said they couldn't do it.

Recently bought a 2010 Mazda3 GT. I saw in the owner's manual that the option to have the Smart Turn enabled (one tap on the turn signal stalk gives 3 flashes of the signal) was something the dealer had to do via whatever computer they have in the shop.

Took the car to Budd's for an alignment (I had replaced the d/s LCA to pass safety) and asked them about activating this feature. They said they'd heard of it, but couldn't recall every having done, but they'd give it a try. When I picked the car up, I was told "The computer software (the dealer computer, not the car computer) had been updated many times since 2010 and they weren't able to activate the Smart Turn."

I found this odd, because I would have thought it was the software in the car that would just need to be told to turn it on or off and the version of the dealer software shouldn't matter. At least they didn't charge me.

Anyway, some research revealed Forscan software would allow me to make changes via my laptop (or Android, iOS etc.). I downloaded the software and bought the Forscan recommended cable.

I now have Smart Turn enabled. It's a sad state of affairs when I can do at home with free software and a not free cable what the dealer couldn't.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Smart turn activated using Forscan. Dealer said they couldn't do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rcy For This Useful Post:

S.F.W. (05-11-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Smart turn activated using Forscan. Dealer said they couldn't do it.

Great Post!

I too got the same explanation when i had my 2012 Mzd 3 GT with Tech package.

Where did you purchase the cable from?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting !!
    Hmmmmm ...What is the chance that that software package is loaded on all models (mine a GX)
    and it can be toggled on plus many other GT features ?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    Great Post!

I too got the same explanation when i had my 2012 Mzd 3 GT with Tech package.

Where did you purchase the cable from?
    https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-ex/

Had to pay $19 to FedEx for duty/taxes.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    Interesting !!
    Hmmmmm ...What is the chance that that software package is loaded on all models (mine a GX)
    and it can be toggled on plus many other GT features ?
    I thought the personalization features were common to all the models?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link. Even with the Duty/Taxes, it's cheaper than from Amazon.ca.

Just to clarify, the FORScan software was free and was installed on a Windows PC?

Quote Originally Posted by rcy View Post
    https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-ex/

Had to pay $19 to FedEx for duty/taxes.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    Thanks for the link. Even with the Duty/Taxes, it's cheaper than from Amazon.ca.

Just to clarify, the FORScan software was free and was installed on a Windows PC?
    Forscan was free. Some features you need the 'extended licence' (which I did for the Smart Turn), but they have a 2 month free trial of the extended licence. After making sure it actually worked, I then bought the extended licence (I didn't have to because it worked with the trial licence, but props to the creators).

https://forscan.org/download.html All the info you need is here, including a link to the recommended cable.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the cheapest route might be the 'Buy on Amazon' link here https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-ex/ where it seems like you might not get bent over for the FedEx fee that I paid. Not 100 percent sure though. Amazon 'global standard shipping program', I think covers duty???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a big difference with:

Amazon.com $49.95 USD plus duties/taxes
    Amazon.ca $102.05 Cdn plus HST <== Not readily clear if this comes direct from the Manufacturer

Looks like the cheapest route might be the 'Buy on Amazon' link here https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-ex/ where it seems like you might not get bent over for the FedEx fee that I paid. Not 100 percent sure though. Amazon 'global standard shipping program', I think covers duty???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a big difference with:

Amazon.com $49.95 USD plus duties/taxes
    Amazon.ca $102.05 Cdn plus HST <== Not readily clear if this comes direct from the Manufacturer