OK, I replaced my CV axles about 9 months ago and they seemed to have a high frequency vibration in one or both of them. It was very slight but noticeable. They were an off brand; CARDONE and the parts store said they were one of the better ones and didn't give them any trouble. Still, I was told I could replace them. I am doing that now. So I pulled the driver's side axle out and the seal was damaged beyond repair. The spring around the outside of the rubber sealing surface was missing too. I saw the bearing in the tranny casing and decided to give it a wipe out with a clean rag. I was a bit surprised to find the inner shell doesn't turn. I can poke my fingers in and give it a stiff twist and nothing happens.

It seems that this bearing is pressed in from the inside of the casing. No problem. I started fiddling with it and it seems to me that there is another part set into that bearing from the inside as well and perhaps that's not supposed to turn with the car just sitting. As you can see, I have labelled the picture first with a little port coming in from the top that seems like it supplies fluid to the inside of the bearing to keep it lubricated. I have labelled that INPUT. There is another on the bottom, likely to drain it. I have also labelled the roller cage and then what I expect is the inner shell of the bearing. You see there is also something inside of that, likely the part installed from the inside of the tranny. The I.D. of what I will call the mystery part is exactly 30mm. The outside mating surface of the axle at this point is exactly 30mm and cut with helical oil passages on it.

So, the question, should I be getting excited that I can't turn this with my fingers? I started the car and put it in gear but of course I had already drained the ATF for a filter change and nothing turns!

Anyway, I would very much appreciate any help with this one.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm just finding that I can't post photos?? There used to be a section down below to "MANAGE PHOTOS" and now I can only find a tab up top which will only accept photos from a URL.