Thread: Please Help - Engine timing chain cover and valve cover gasket leaking

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Please Help - Engine timing chain cover and valve cover gasket leaking

Hi All :

My Mazda 3 2016 warranty just expired and surprisingly when I went to have oil change done and winter tire swapped, the Mazda tech informed that “Engine Timing Chain and Valve Cover Gaskets are Leaking oil onto drive belts”

they quoted me 1090 + tax to have the leaking fixed and 262.50 + tax to replace both drive belts.

What do you guys think. I saw some oil at the bottom of the engine when I did visual inspection but it is not like a puddle.

I have a feeling that Mazda is charging me too much to have the things replaced. Do you think it is fair price or shall I find a regular mechanic. I am in Toronto area so if you recommend going to a mechanic than which one who would you suggest.

thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Please Help - Engine timing chain cover and valve cover gasket leaking

$1090 could be to replace the timing chain and gaskets and labor

It could all be a simple gasket on the valve cover to replace or loose gasket cover.

You should have Jimmy look at from Street Performance 905 943 9449
    either way Jimmy will be less

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Please Help - Engine timing chain cover and valve cover gasket leaking

First thing you should do is get your engine shampooed, drive it a while keeping an eye on it. Secondly, take it somewhere else for a second opinion (Someone you can trust).

I had a certain Mazda dealer tell me the same thing years ago and they were full of shite. Its called an 'Upsale'. Some dealers are notorious for that.

_3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

G ~ MINI (12-01-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    $1090 could be to replace the timing chain and gaskets and labor

It could all be a simple gasket on the valve cover to replace or loose gasket cover.

You should have Jimmy look at from Street Performance 905 943 9449
    either way Jimmy will be less
    Second this...Dealer said the exact same thing...Jimmy replaced the gaskets and my 08 is still running like new!
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This happened to us today. Not timing chain replacement, just timing chain cover leakage. Time chains can last almost indefinitely (from what I was told). Everything has to be removed and the dealer wants the car for a day.

I was also told it would be well over $1K plus taxes for our 2014. I never had this issue with my 2005 Mazda3 still going strong.

There's a US TSB on this issue affecting 2014s and up, but TSBs are not honoured outside of the warranty.

I can't help wonder if this noticed in the past (during warranty) and not mentioned because warranty payment to the dealer can be rather strict and dealers make more money for repairs outside of warranty.

Would adding an engine (stop leak) additive help or would it be more problematic?