Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do\'s & Don\'ts of ABS Brakes

Canadian Driver Tech Article

A good read for everyone! The P5 has 3 channel ABS, front right, front left independent of each other and the rearend is together but independent of the front during lock-up skid etc or so I was told by the TPC Board gurus.

Does the M3 have 4 channel ABS?

Has anyone here pulled the ABS fuse by choice as they might prefer \'threshold braking\' old school style? I\'m guesstimating by the demographics here, that most of you were born in the early 80\'s so you grew up with ABS on your family cars in the 90\'s.

Any oldschoolers from the 70\'s and beyond which have driven non ABS vehicles?
    Any preference? Yes, it keeps us in a straight-line, but I\'ve heard a wack of opposition to it.
    It all boils down to the competent drive.
    The above comments were solely of CarDemon. They may not fully represent the TM3 Club Board, etiquette and belief system. However, a great degree of tact was taken into consideration to allow for creativity, humour and individual self expression.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Do\'s & Don\'ts of ABS Brakes\'

Originally posted by car_demon

Has anyone here pulled the ABS fuse by choice as they might prefer \'threshold braking\' old school style? I\'m guesstimating by the demographics here, that most of you were born in the early 80\'s so you grew up with ABS on your family cars in the 90\'s.

Any oldschoolers from the 70\'s and beyond which have driven non ABS vehicles?
    Any preference? Yes, it keeps us in a straight-line, but I\'ve heard a wack of opposition to it.
    It all boils down to the competent drive.
    learned and drove ABS-free cars until 2001 when I got the maxima.

ABS doesn\'t keep you in a straight line, it allows you to steer in slippery conditions when non-ABS would lock up the wheels. it pumps the brakes faster than any human could.

ABS is actually non-beneficial when stopping in snowy or icy conditions as it doesn\'t allow any type of friction between the tire and the surface (which would eventually slow down the car). At Ian Law\'s winter driving school, they stopped a car with and without ABS (pulled the ABS fuse) and the stop without ABS was shorter.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems to me when the abs kicks in on the ice and snow i speed up . mine you i have the good old rsa\'s on .
    will never buy a mazda again

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to practise in open school parking lots at night to get used to the feel. Sometimes
    I experiment with threshold braking releasing in a pumping fashion when I hear the ABS rumble kick-in. In deep snow I prefer to not have ABS so my tires can have the snowplowing effect to stop naturally.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u guys are right right .. ABS dosen\'t help u stop it keeps u in control of the steering so u can change directions and avoid colidsion ... I agree sometimes with out ABS i could of stopped earlier and not need to steer away ne ways ... but u\'ll wish its there when something sudden happends and the human reaction is to jam on the brakes
    Kalvin
    -White hatch GT(MT), CAI, Removed mouldings,
    -simple little sound system (1-12\\" Kaption sub 1-amp and a sony deck)..
    -2002 GSX-R 600 Blue/Silver with Yoshimura RS-3 slip on.
    -Springs for the car in the summer