Thread: WheeL RefinishinG UpDate

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WheeL RefinishinG UpDate

After refinishing my MP5 OEM rims in gunmetal, RX-8 rims in charcoal metalic, IS300 in Pearl White and IKON\'S in all black; I\'ve learned a few things along the way I would like to pass on.

If you want to change the colour or your alloy rims and they are in PRISTINE condition.(meaning no knicks, scratches, scuffs, dents and chips) I recommend prepping them by chemically dipping them by a recommended industrial metal stripper. I discovered one today recommended by my SandblastMan.

Getting Your Alloy Wheels Stripped of OEM Finish Powdercoat
    http://www.technostrip.com/contact.html

TECHNO STRIP LTD (THE METAL CLEANERS)
    www.technostrip.com
    1 Blair Drive, Brampton, Ontario, Canada, L6T 2H4 |

Donna (Wheeler) Joyce
    Quality Manager and Production Coordinator
    ORDERS, ORDER STATUS, SCHEDULING AND QUOTATIONS
    donna@technostrip.com

Gabriel Cruceru, PEng MSc
    Plant Manager
    TECHNICAL AND PRODUCTION
    gabriel@technostrip.com

Tel: (905) 459-6196 Fax: (905) 459-6298

I had to go to this other company due to the fact that an expensive very high quality ITALIAN wheel I was doing had so many primers, basecoats, reg coats and clear coats on the slightly intricate design for even paint finish that my SandBlastMan unselfishly and professionally gave me his gut feeling and opinion that he might jeopardize the integrity and quality of the high price rim by sandblasting through so many layers.

This was an example of the rim I was gonna sandblast.
    http://www.cheapthrillswheelsandtires.com/images/wheels/big/01.jpg

I was quoted $45/rim with taxes included $207.00. NO CASH UNDER-THE-TABLE DEALS.
    With a 2-3day turnaround.
    I\'ll keep you guys and girls updated. This post is a heads up for those that showed interest in the other thread and to arm you with knowledge.

For fairly simple and reg OEM and after Market rims a good sandblast is sufficient prep for Powdercoating and Once again the contact I\'ve used is the following;
    BLASTAL COATING SERVICES(Sand or Bead Blasting)
    353 Clarence Ave.
    Brampton, ON
    L6W 1T6
    (905) 459-2001
    http://www.blastal.com
    sales@blastal.com
    Contact Ken Davison

POWDER COATERS
    Spectrum Powder Coaters
    63 Medulla Ave, Etobicoke
    Phone: (416) 622-4595
    [427 & Queensway Area]
    The above comments were solely of CarDemon. They may not fully represent the TM3 Club Board, etiquette and belief system. However, a great degree of tact was taken into consideration to allow for creativity, humour and individual self expression.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'WheeL RefinishinG UpDate\'

When taking your wheels to be blasted, do you call ahead or just stop in?
    Also with the powdercoating, can they do pretty much any colour? I have an idigio blue sedan, and was thinking of getting my rims powder coated a dark metallic blue.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so they don\'t sandblast the rims where they do the actual powder coating?
    erin - velocity red GS 5MT w/ PP + AC
    H2 stubby
    jdm-ish side marker rings
    17% smoked taillights
    painted red calipers

one more year and the fun stuff begins

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SandBlast guy, The Chemical Dip People and the PowderCoaters are 3 Separate Entities in the Brampton and Etobicoke/Toronto area. Call ahead, but one can take their rims to these places during normal business hours Mon-Friday.

With regards to Powdercoating, there is every colour under the sun available.However, the more complex the colour the more expensive. What I mean by that is, some dudes walk into the shop with a colour so unique and a SAMPLE but the turnout onto your actual metal may be slightly different in shade or even texture. My buddies RX-8 rims done in a Charcoal Metalic Clearcoat with a shimmer at a different angle when the light hit it was very costly. I think it ran $320 for the 4 rims.

Down at Spectrum Powder Coaters of which I highly recommend they took the time with me to go through at least 7 different Catologues as they contacted thier numerous suppliers to see if they could order the specific powder in lbs to to the wheels. These guys do not stock the actual colours on site. They order it out and it is couriered to them.

Hope I\'ve answered some questions.