Thread: Warning to all Mazda owners

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Warning to all Mazda owners

As many of you know i drive a lot..58k in a year. well i recently took my car to the dealership to get this wierd noise fixed from the left side of my suspension. ive never had problems with my car at all, until recently where i had enough so i took the car into the dealership. I was talking to one the technicians there and apparently more and more people are bringing their cars in for the same thing. Wheel bearings are wearing out prematurely, which was causing this wierd noise from under my car. The sound sort of sounds like worn out tires when your on the highway. I also get a lot of vibration form my brakes when i gently touch them on the highway, whenever i do that my entire steering wheel shakes.

the technician is replacing my wheel bearing on the drivers side and inspecting the one on the passenger side, im also getting new rotors since they were just serviced and machined at the 48k service and the problem is persisting. so im gonna end up with new rotors and new wheel bearing after jsut over a year of driving.

Mazda better get a grip on producing cars with parts that last a little longer then a year. Im pretty happy now since my car is back to normal. Just thought id share.

If you have a strange sound coming from under your car. dont hesitate to make a appointment. And dont let them trick you by trying to tell you its your tires. this is my second time for this problem and the first time they told me it was my high performance tires...now i came prepared. the tech a mazda tried this its your tires bullshit again. so i happened to bring a set of OEM rubber with me and told them to switch the tires and if its the tires id pay for their time and the charge of the switch. they agreed, and i was right. i wrote a letter to mazda canada basically bitching about how pissed off i was when the dealership knew there was a problem with the car and did nothing to try to fix it.....

the point here is DONT TAKE ANY BULLSHIT FROM THE DEALERSHIP, your the ones that drive your car every day not the technicians, so when a creepy sound appears you know something is wrong.

just thought id share my experience
    2011 Mazdaspeed 3
    Black Mica
    SURE SRI
    JBR RSB

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Warning to all Mazda owners\'

Thanks for the heads up.. i wonder if it affects 05s as well (time will tell)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the heads up

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mind posting which dealership this was? how difficult was it to get them to finally change the bearings?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I\'d like to know which dealership this was.

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn\'t us.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the update.
    I have the exact problem with my car (23K), started hearing the noise about 3 weeks ago and figured it was my left front tire not properly inflated. Moreover, every time I go over a speed bump I can hear a squeak coming from the left front tire area, Checked the tire pressure and it was 32psi as suggested by Mazda.

I will be calling my dealership (Airport Mazda about this problem)

2004 Mazda3 -GT GFX Sedan
    Lava Orange

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry this was done at burlington mazda. It took some talking for them to finally realize that this is a problem. its a little funny, my cousin has the same car, we had to take his tires and rims off so we can take it to the dealership to prove to them that its not the tires. his car was jacked up on 4 stands, it looked kind of funny. its good to know a guy that still has OEM equipment on his ride.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That\'s premature wear for the bearings, but for the brakes...that seems pretty good...for OEM...
    When I had my Focus, I had to get new brakes at 38 000 km...so 58000 seems pretty good

Zaku_4

hellooo,
    well i had the wheel shaking problemw hen braking on the highway, it was my rotors, got them replaced a while ago. and again i have the same problem now, at 35+k the wheel shakes wen i hit the brakes. grrrrrrrr =/

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from my understanding rotors should last a little longer then 58k. I understand pads, but rotors should last a lot longer. there is definately something wrong with the mazda3 brakes and mazda canada needs to figure it out. ragardless, i still love my car..lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by lukel90

from my understanding rotors should last a little longer then 58k. I understand pads, but rotors should last a lot longer. there is definately something wrong with the mazda3 brakes and mazda canada needs to figure it out. ragardless, i still love my car..lol
    Well if your bearing was shot that could explain the rotor warping again. Its too bad you did\'nt notice it before your service when they turned your rotors.Anyways if they have to put new rotors in (that would depend on how much material they left on after turning and how bad the warp is) make sure the dealer follows the instructions on preconditioning the rotors before there installed.This preconditioning is mentioned in one of the Mazda TSBs, which if I knew how to link it to here I would, but I\'am a moron at this stuff. Maybe someone else can place a link here?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Warning to all Mazda owners

I have the exact problem!

The tech was pushing and pushing that it's a tire problem. But the tires are passing the safety test so they won't even bother doing anything.

I went to a private mechanic / when he drove it he said...could be the tires...changed he's mind and pointed to wheel barrel after the car was lifted.

Of course it's a knows fact that the tech's know about it...but as long they can get away with the "bad tires"... It's a win for them...oh yes my warranty expired after 5 days. So no point going back there...fighting with the wind-mills it's will mean only one lost day at work and maybe punching a tech that chews gum when talks to me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow...I need to keep an eye on this! Thanks for the heads up.
    *2006 Mazda 3 GT*
    Eibach || SPC || Falken || ADR fin7 || Sirius || Solar Gard || DDM Tuning || Hella || Visual Garage || The Speedline

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI to those of you suffering from vibrations when braking at highway speeds. I too had severe vibrations in the brake pedal & steering wheel whenever I had to brake heavily on the highway. I also thought the rotors must be warped. But when I checked the run out of the rotors it was basically zero. However I noticed that the brake pads were worn at an angle but still had a lot of friction material left. I left the rotors as is & put in a new set of Hawk pads. Vibration GONE. That was at 120K & I'm now past 150K with no trace of vibration from the original rotors.

What I think is happening is the mechanics are telling you the rotors are warped, replacing them & the pads. Bingo, the vibration disappears, you're happy & the mechanic is happier.

Next time ask him to measure the run out of the rotors before replacing them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post

What I think is happening is the mechanics are telling you the rotors are warped, replacing them & the pads. Bingo, the vibration disappears, you're happy & the mechanic is happier.

Next time ask him to measure the run out of the rotors before replacing them.
    Now you really have me wondering what to do.

With only 8100km on my Mazda3 Sport I have just been told that the rotors were warped. I have taken it in for it's 12 month check and Probart Mazda has just called to say that the work is done and they "ground the rotors all round" as there was something noted on the road test. This was done on warantee.

What should I be asking and what should I be looking for.

I am a real newby to the auto maintenance stuff.

Thanks

Susan
    gottit ... February 29, 2008 ...

Official TM3 food tester froggy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of these same symptoms caused by many different problems. Even new brakes can warp if they are getting warm by having braked a lot and hard and then you drive through a puddle and they get wet. The cold water hitting hot metal can do that. From my understanding slotted and vented roters because they dissapate the heat faster are more resistant to this. The uneven break pad wear is a funny one it could mean that you have a sticky slider in your caliper. The reason a lot of the mechs will point to tires is that was one of the symptoms of the firestone tires that was blowing up a few years ago, and because of the mark up on the rubber. Just make sure that they explore all the options before you start spending the money to get things fixed, check the tires, check the rotors and check the bearings usually done with a stethescope type instrument on the housing.
    there's no such thing as too much zoom zoom

Thanks to MazdaBetty for the avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdabetty View Post
    OHHHHH I HATED IT when people used to steal my pole

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mungomoggy View Post

With only 8100km on my Mazda3 Sport I have just been told that the rotors were warped. I have taken it in for it's 12 month check and Probart Mazda has just called to say that the work is done and they "ground the rotors all round" as there was something noted on the road test. This was done on warantee.

Thanks

Susan
    You live in London Susan? Go to www.mazda3london.com
    --Chris
    Addicted to modding...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Susan
    The problem with their fix for ths is that:
    A)When rotors warp, brake pads tend to do the same.
    B) Being that they had to turn the rotors, they shave a layer off of both sides. You now have less metal left on your rotors.

You will likely have to replace the pads/rotors sooner than their normal service interval as a result.

Not much you can do, but you can complain to the dealership with these facts as you're not going to get the proper life out of them.

Also, you may want to try braking sooner/softer if you dont already.

Hard braking = lots of heat = warping.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wikdslo View Post
    The problem with their fix for ths is that:
    A)When rotors warp, brake pads tend to do the same.
    B) Being that they had to turn the rotors, they shave a layer off of both sides. You now have less metal left on your rotors.

You will likely have to replace the pads/rotors sooner than their normal service interval as a result.

Not much you can do, but you can complain to the dealership with these facts as you're not going to get the proper life out of them.

Also, you may want to try braking sooner/softer if you dont already.

Hard braking = lots of heat = warping.
    thanks for the input.

I drive a standard and my current car has mainly been used for city driving.

The only time I brake hard is in an emergency and that has not happened in the year I have had this car.

I have driven a standard ... not Mazda ... for years and have not been aware of this ever having happened on any of the cars I have driven previously.

I am not quite a "little old lady driver" but dern close. That is why I am really confused as to why this has happened.

Any other comments welcome ... thanks

Susan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input.

I drive a standard and my current car has mainly been used for city driving.

The only time I brake hard is in an emergency and that has not happened in the year I have had this car.

I have driven a standard ... not Mazda ... for years and have not been aware of this ever having happened on any of the cars I have driven previously.

I am not quite a "little old lady driver" but dern close. That is why I am really confused as to why this has happened.

Any other comments welcome ... thanks

Susan
    I'll add to what Wikdslo is saying in that if you were under 12 months or 20k, 20k being more important, they should have REPLACED your rotors and possibly the pads completely!!, not just turned the rotors as you were still under 'Full warranty'.They obviously went the cheap route and in the process shortened the life of your brakes considerably...you are now subceptible to early warping and brake failure, with rotors being shaved thinner.I would definately go back and complain to the service manager, as to why they did not replace everything with 'NEW PARTS'.It is not exceptable for rotors to warp in such short order, no matter what they say....Demand satisfaction.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 03-01-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    I'll add to what Wikdslo is saying in that if you were under 12 months or 20k, 20k being more important, they should have REPLACED your rotors and possibly the pads completely!!, not just turned the rotors as you were still under 'Full warranty'.They obviously went the cheap route and in the process shortened the life of your brakes considerably...you are now subceptible to early warping and brake failure, with rotors being shaved thinner.I would definately go back and complain to the service manager, as to why they did not replace everything with 'NEW PARTS'.It is not exceptable for rotors to warp in such short order, no matter what they say....Demand satisfaction.

_3
    Gottcha.

Well under 20k ... and this was at my 12 month service check.

I will sure as heck tell the service manager that I am not impressed.

any more comments appreciated thanks

Susan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen a mention of what year the original car was, but...
    I have an 04 with more than 200k on it and have never changed the front brakes (pads or rotors).

I did change the rear brakes because of the excessive brake dust, but that was all.

Now to be fair, I am getting a slight pulsation in the break pedal when slightly braking at 100-120, but that seems normal on 200k brakes...
    04/04 Mz3 GS Auto, Air, PP - Sold...
    08/08 Jeep Patriot North 4x4 5Spd, Sunburst Orange

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ng3 View Post
    I haven't seen a mention of what year the original car was, but...
    I have an 04 with more than 200k on it and have never changed the front brakes (pads or rotors).

Now to be fair, I am getting a slight pulsation in the break pedal when slightly braking at 100-120, but that seems normal on 200k brakes...
    Do you evere stop on red lights/stop signs?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow dude... i just got my bearing and hub assembly done last week... for the EXACT same thing. and it cost me 800 to get it done?!!? arg that really pissed me off, seriously mazda should do something about this.
    Mazda 3 Aluminum Pedals | 6000k HIDs | Razo Shift Knob | LED Eyebrows | Stubby | Blacked out Emblems | TorontoMazda3.ca Decal | GV Front Lip | 17" Advanti M40 Bronze Time Attack Rims | Falken ZE912 Tires | Smoked Reflectors | Blue Calipers with Mazda Decal | AutoEXE Spoiler Wing | LED Interior Lights | 2008 OEM LED Tail Lights | 23% Tint All Around | Viper 2-way Alarm System | Clarion NX 409 | Clarion Integrated Bluetooth | CCFL Halo Angel Eyes | Custom Black and Blue Head Lights | Euro Yellow 3000k Fog Lights | Fujita F5 Cold Air Intake | Chrome Turn Signals | Hawk Brake Pads | Dry Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior | DI-NOC Dry Carbon Fiber Wrapped Roof | Dry Carbon Fiber Front and Rear Flares | Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust + Vibrant Resignator | Tien H-Tech Springs | Front Strut Bar | RhoPlate | etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast