Thread: Mazda 3 converted to Speed 3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mazda 3 converted to Speed 3

ive been looking around at salvage yards and ive found many speed3 for under a few grand with the motor and body still in mint condition. does any know or have heard of anyone doing this ? ive looked at engine swaps and even turbo kits, but both seem to be too pricey. If buy one of these salvaged speed3 will i be able to completly strip it and throw the parts on my mazda gs sport ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gabebaus For This Useful Post:

Proudfoot (05-28-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 converted to Speed 3

Where are you near?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

toronto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk to galaxy771... he did a gen 1 speed swap

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2012mazda3hatch For This Useful Post:

shift8 (05-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been done a few times, but it is not a simple swap. Also if the mazspeed is cheap likely that the engine has low compression or worse.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabebaus View Post
    ive been looking around at salvage yards and ive found many speed3 for under a few grand with the motor and body still in mint condition. does any know or have heard of anyone doing this ? ive looked at engine swaps and even turbo kits, but both seem to be too pricey. If buy one of these salvaged speed3 will i be able to completly strip it and throw the parts on my mazda gs sport ?
    I'm not an expert in speed3's but as someone who has been looking at a few that have been posted for sale online I have come to understand that if it's cheap or the deal sounds to good to be true it likely is. I'd be skeptical as to why it was in the scrap yard for "under a few grand" if the engine and body were in mint condition.

Here is the link to the speed3 section of the forum...you might be able to find the real answer you are looking for here http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/fo...aSpeed-3-Forum
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cars are being sold at right offs they have been in accidents and I'm aware. There are some that have been in a rear end crash and the engine is un touched.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be clear, I haven't done the speed swap... unless you count the turbo. I am in the process of turboing my current engine which is the 2.0L non-DISI motor however I've done a good amount of research on DISI turbo speed swaps and it can definitely be done but it is certainly a hefty task. I had a scrapped MS3 I was going to swap in but decided against it because of all the work involved so I managed to snag the turbo and all the turbo supporting mods as well as the whole interior and swapped the whole interior into my car as well as a bunch of exterior mods.

As for swapping in the motor; first thing you need to know is anything to do with your current drive-train needs to go. The current brakes you have on your car right now won't work, the CV axles won't work, the motor mounts won't fit, the placement of most things in the engine bay is likely not going to fit in its current position and the firewall placement as of current is just not going to work. Forgetting all that for a second, assuming you can do all that no problem; the current ECU is just not going to work. You would need a complete reflash and tune to get that to even sort of work. Secondly, if you decide to swap the ECU, good luck because that is a whole host of wiring to do but let's assume you do that too. Well guess what, your interior won't work correctly, you need to get the MS3 stock gauge cluster and a bunch of other small things. Don't have the seats? Might trip a code in the ECU.

It's all things like these that you need to keep in mind. Now assuming all this has not deterred you at all then all the power to you I certainly hope you well in this endeavor and if you have any more questions about the swap then ask me here or shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help.
    Modifications: Mazdaspeed3 rear sway bar, AWR rear motor mount, Raceland coils, Konig Illusion 18x8 wheels with +45 offset, Corksport cat-back exhaust with Vibrant 4-2-1 header, Corksport short ram intake, Stage 3 clutch, Angel eyes with HIDs, Mazdaspeed3 interior swap with LED interior bulbs, Mazdaspeed3 spoiler and sideskirts and drilled/slotted rotors

Boosted soon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxy771 For This Useful Post:

S.F.W. (06-01-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Galaxy771 - would you mind creating a new thread with this information. I want to make it a sticky thread.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I wouldn't mind but to be honest I'm probably not the greatest source of information and a terrible writer but I can certainly try if you want me to. Though I will say that I've never personally done the speed swap myself but I have actually seen it done live in person so I can maybe chime in with some pointers but that's about it.

I can write up a mock up thread here first then recreate it as a full thread if you want but that's up to you. Where would I create this thread if I were to write a new one up? Right here in the general discussion?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy771 View Post
    lol I wouldn't mind but to be honest I'm probably not the greatest source of information and a terrible writer but I can certainly try if you want me to. Though I will say that I've never personally done the speed swap myself but I have actually seen it done live in person so I can maybe chime in with some pointers but that's about it.

I can write up a mock up thread here first then recreate it as a full thread if you want but that's up to you. Where would I create this thread if I were to write a new one up? Right here in the general discussion?
    Sure that works. It may end up in Engine section, but create in the general section, and I can move.
    You do not need to be a great writer. Just all the items you have learned so far, will be a big help to people asking about the swap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will do. I'll start mocking something up now, might take a while but I'll try.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxy771 For This Useful Post:

S.F.W. (06-01-2017)