Thread: weird vibration in second gear and odd noise shifting into 3rd at only 2000rpm

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default weird vibration in second gear and odd noise shifting into 3rd at only 2000rpm

Hey all,

Have a 2013 mazda 3 sky activ 6 speed manual. Got it used with 90000km on it. Luckily, it had an extended warranty because the transmission wasn't very good at all....wouldn't shift into certain gears, huge grind into 3rd...anyway, they replaced it with a brand new transmission. Seemed to fix every issue. However, there was always a weeird vibration at around 2000rpm when in second gear. For example, I shift into second and then accelerate. Everytime the tach goes by 2000rpm, there is an odd vibration through the gear shifter and you can hear it. It never affected anything though.

Lately though (whether I just didn't notice before or it just started happening), if I shift into 3rd around 2000rpm, I hear a faint grind - or at least some sort of noise. It does sound similar to the noise that happens in 2nd gear at 2000rpm.

Any idea what this might be? I have about 5000km left on the extended warranty. I just really hope I don't have to go through all this crap again lol.

BUt if any of you might know what this is, please let me know. Synchros maybe?

Thanks
    Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: weird vibration in second gear and odd noise shifting into 3rd at only 2000rpm

Maybe synchros, but I also wonder if it's motor mounts that are broken, that are causing issue.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: weird vibration in second gear and odd noise shifting into 3rd at only 2000rpm

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    Maybe synchros, but I also wonder if it's motor mounts that are broken, that are causing issue.
    ...Or the transmission mount.

Either way I'd not waste any time and take it in since you still have x-warranty, incase its the transmission itself. Get a dated notification in writing also of the issue.

_3

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a first step, it might be worth changing to a high quality gear oil (Motul, Redline). But otherwise, as was mentioned below, it could be a tranny/engine mount or yet another bad synchro in this 'new' transmission.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    As a first step, it might be worth changing to a high quality gear oil (Motul, Redline). But otherwise, as was mentioned below, it could be a tranny/engine mount or yet another bad synchro in this 'new' transmission.
    It will suck if it's the tranny. They checked the mounts previously and said all were ok.

But as soon as they put the new tranny in, that weird vibration around 2000rpm was happening. If it was a synchro, wouldn't it happen at every rpm when shifting, not just 2000rpm shifting into 3rd?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change your shifting point to a bit higher than 2000 then. It's a little low for our cars (2500 places things out of the lugging regions). Yes, a worn synchro would probably cause issues all over the map. Still leaning towards engine mounts. They're an awful design on these cars and they wear out quickly.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, if you can believe it, they are putting ANOTHER new transmission in. Free of charge due to the extended warranty.

I must have asked them 5 times if it could be the mounts or something else, but they say they're fine. Would a mount (motor or tranny) cause weird vibration mainly in just 2nd gear?

I guess I agree that it might be the actual tranny itself as the orginal one had 3rd gear issues, but never had the weird vibration accelerating in 2nd. and once the rpm hits 2000, you can feel and hear a weird noise (a different kind of vibration) that only lasts about 100rpm or so. That was unique to the "new" tranny they put in and it the vibration was there on Day 1.

Obviously they are taking care of me the best they can, but this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about MAzda. I mean, I had a 2002 Protege 5 that had 3rd gear issues that they fixed under warranty back in 2006..that's over a decade ago and they are still having 3rd gear issues or tranny issues in general.

I guess I'm concerned the new tranny will have other issues, just like the 2nd one they put in. THe difference this time is that I have 3000km left of extended warranty. What happens if in 15000km this tranny starts acting up. I'm out of warranty. Ugh

thanks!
    Dave

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well be happy they're putting in a new trans. Its new right not rebuilt?

Anyway I would suggest after a few thousand kilometres you switch the oil to a high quality synthetic.

Good luck with it.

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Well be happy they're putting in a new trans. Its new right not rebuilt?

Anyway I would suggest after a few thousand kilometres you switch the oil to a high quality synthetic.

Good luck with it.

_3
    I asked him and he said its brand new. However, the one they put in was brand new lol.

This better fix it. I agree with you, I'll switch out the fluid after a break in period.

Fingers crossed.