Just got better

Thanks
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: IM so $*@# mad right now

Quote Originally Posted by peterm15 View Post
    This all sounds very familiar @<a href="http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/member.php?u=20029" target="_blank">geobur</a>.

Sometimes even the bolt trick won't work.
    yup just went through this earlier this summer with @peterm15

the rotors on my 2008 GT sedan were seized on like crazy, we tried slamming it with a sledge/maul not even a budge, ended up hitting one of my posts so we had to tap that using a tap and die set to try and get the thread fixed...then gave up for a week...spent a week applying penetrating oil like pb blaster every other day in hopes it would loosen it...so we tried the weekend after and no dice...tried the bolt method and still no dice...(however that being said I don't think we were doing the bolt method quite correctly)

try this

But I ended up going to Jimmy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had serious issues getting my rotors off as well by banging on them from the front and the center, it was like they were welded on. What worked was popping them from the inside-outwards. Find bolts and nuts from the hardware store and thread them through the caliper mounting bracket holes, tighten to apply pressure from the bolt on to the back of the rotor, rotate the rotor and do it all over again all the way around, you will hear cracks from the rust breaking, eventually the rotor will pop off. Cover your studs with old lugnut bolts if your using a sledge to make sure not to damage them.
    Last edited by DarkKilla; 09-17-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't let this discourage you from DIYing. Living in Ontatio, rusted in stuff is part of any automotive work and you either learn how to deal with it or let others do the work and pay for it handsomely.

I did my fair share of brake jobs and over the years have learned to lube all contact points or use anti seize. If you think ahead and put anti seize on the hub and rotor hats, the next brake job will be child's play. The rotors on my cars come off by a light tap either by hand or a soft mallet.

If you didn't do that, you can still apply some lube to the back of the rotors without removing them. Get some lube in a spray bottle and a straw and spray it where the studs come through the rotor. There is usually a small opening there to allow the lube to get bihind, make sure you spray through all five holes. I did that when the car was brand new, and repeated whenever the wheels were off and the rotors never rusted in.
    Last edited by stock3; 09-18-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stock3 View Post
    Don't let this discourage you from DIYing. Living in Ontatio, rusted in stuff is part of any automotive work and you either learn how to deal with it or let others do the work and pay for it handsomely.

I did my fair share of brake jobs and over the years have learned to lube all contact points or use anti seize. If you think ahead and put anti seize on the hub and rotor hats, the next brake job will be child's play. The rotors on my cars come off by a light tap either by hand or a soft mallet.

If you didn't do that, you can still apply some lube to the back of the rotors without removing them. Get some lube in a spray bottle and a straw and spray it where the studs come through the rotor. There is usually a small opening there to allow the lube to get bihind, make sure you spray through all five holes. I did that when the car was brand new, and repeated whenever the wheels were off and the rotors never rusted in.
    thx for the tip! when I will change my tires I will put lube there and every year after winter I will get the rotors off put some anti seize and put them back on, also clean and lub the sliding pins.

Anyways just to give you guys an update. I ended up paying 590 $ for a knuckle replacement, one caliper (was leaking apparently), finish the brake job on passenger side and rear + oil change. So I don't find it THAT bad considering all the job that was done.
    So In total I paid 420 $ for 4 rotors,pads,sliding pins and brake cleaner + 590 $ . 1010 $ job for brakes and a oil change haha

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ps3alltheway View Post
    thx for the tip! when I will change my tires I will put lube there and every year after winter I will get the rotors off put some anti seize and put them back on, also clean and lub the sliding pins.

Anyways just to give you guys an update. I ended up paying 590 $ for a knuckle replacement, one caliper (was leaking apparently), finish the brake job on passenger side and rear + oil change. So I don't find it THAT bad considering all the job that was done.
    So In total I paid 420 $ for 4 rotors,pads,sliding pins and brake cleaner + 590 $ . 1010 $ job for brakes and a oil change haha
    Ouch, but you did also get a caliper done as well. I normally like to do them in pairs (uneven stopping power from an older, tighter one compared to new and easy sliding)

But at least it's all fixed.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did exactly what @geobur has on that video
    it worked as advertised.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Ouch, but you did also get a caliper done as well. I normally like to do them in pairs (uneven stopping power from an older, tighter one compared to new and easy sliding)

But at least it's all fixed.
    thats what I thought but I talked to a few guys and they told me not to change them in pairs, it's recommended but useless because the old galiper can even outlast the new one, basicly they told me why repair when it's not broken

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take those front factory rotors off with my 3 lb hammer in 5 mins a side.... Doesn't matter how seized they are... Hit the rotor like man...and it literally breaks away from the hub portion of the rotor then hit down like a man and break the hub portion in two.... My record is 5 total hits to remove one of those... Lol not to be mean or anything but sometimes some things are just done better by the professionals...lol

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoomtech View Post
    My favourite thing to do

One guy in my shop missed the one time and snapped the calliper mounting hole clean off. That's why we hit from the front now.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goddamn. Although it didn't work out at all for you, kudos for attempting. Personally I would never trust myself with something as important as brakes lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder what most peoples definition of hitting "hard" would be...hmmm....
    i sure know what my definition of "hard" would be.....
    Adam - Kitchener, Ontario.
    Far Far West O'l G! Proud Owner of the Whop-Toboggan Rice Bomb!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We tell other guys in the shop to "take their ****ing purse off and hit it harder"

I've destroyed many rotors like the picture posted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    I guess I should also rename the Engine/Drivetrain section "Arts & Crafts"
    2007 Mazda3 gx
    2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition
    2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Outdoorsman / 2012 Ducati Monster 796

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow so you guys just break it? lol im excellent at breaking things... can't wait to try this in the spring.

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus Lol I'm not looking forward to the brakes on my Mazda.

I absolutely hate the jobs that should be simple but turn out to be a huge PITA.

I would rather swap the engine in my Dakota again than have to do brake lines on my old beater Corolla.
    SOLD - 2012 GX Hatch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time you remove a wheel, always make sure there is a little wiggle room for the rotor. Always done this to all my cars and never had to break anything. Rotors on my 2011 are being replaced in spring, along with a caliper paint job. While i'm in there, ill be applying a very thin layer of antiseize where the rotor sits on the hub. this will prevent future issues.
    Enkei Wheels,R40 lug nuts, ISC N1 coilovers, Corksport short shifter, CS Rear sway bar
    Ebay front strut bar, Custom magnaflow axleback w/ 4" tips, Style M front lip

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To remove my rotors on my 2005 Mazda 3, I used a jack-hammer (same one to break our concrete floor) to get them off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought this but then I'm running four cars and do all my own brakes so for me it was a worthwhile investment. Rotor comes off in less than 30 seconds with no fuss.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Current fleet: 2016 Mazda MX-5 GT 6MT, 2015 Mazda3 GT 6MT, 2011 Mazda CX-7 GX 5AT, 2010 Mazda3 GT 6MT, 2010 Mazda3 GT 5AT
    Retired: 2009 Mazda3 GT, 2009 Mazda5 GT, 2001 Mazda Protege ES, 2001 Mazda MPV ES, 1999 Mazda Protege LX, 1997 Mazda Protege SE, 1988 Mazda 626 Turbo, 1988 Mazda 323 LX, 1987 Mazda 323 LX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12