Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TM3 Home Owners Association

Roxul definitely isn't easier to work with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    Roxul definitely isn't easier to work with.
    It itches less and stays where you put it and is nicer to cut around things....granted most idiots just stuff the pink stuff around things.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    It itches less and stays where you put it and is nicer to cut around things....granted most idiots just stuff the pink stuff around things.
    There are some tips and tricks for the pink stuff. It should be way easier to cut around things with it.

I found that the roxul would crumble, or sometimes a panel would break in half if I was too rough with it. Not to mention, it dulls blades about 10 times faster than fibreglass.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some tips and tricks for the pink stuff. It should be way easier to cut around things with it.

I found that the roxul would crumble, or sometimes a panel would break in half if I was too rough with it. Not to mention, it dulls blades about 10 times faster than fibreglass.
    Well don't be so rough with it, not that hard...and use the little bread knife style saw for it, I got one the first time I installed Roxul and have put in around 20 packages of the stuff now and it's still sharp.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my garage is too sealed and I am having humidity issues, lots of frost build up on the inside of the garage doors and windows.
    my dad suggested putting in a bathroom exhaust fan to vent the humid air, but I would think I'd need to have in intake to bring in air as well?

any recommendations to help the issue?
    2007 Mazda 3 GS sedan - Arctic White / Tan cloth - SOLD
    2018 Tesla Model S 75D - Multi Coat Red

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rajin929 View Post
    my garage is too sealed and I am having humidity issues, lots of frost build up on the inside of the garage doors and windows.
    my dad suggested putting in a bathroom exhaust fan to vent the humid air, but I would think I'd need to have in intake to bring in air as well?

Heating the space would help the most, keeps it much drier...intake air would come from any gaps in the seals if you did put an exhaust fan in. Keep in mind that exhausting the air is going to make the space cooler.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you draw air out without replenishing it you could also creat a space without enough oxygen which is a hazard

If it really is that sealed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why don’t you just run a dehumidifier

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It actually sounds like you have a lot of the warm humid air from your house escaping into your garage and condensing on the cold surfaces.

Is your garage attached to your house? Is there a door to access the garage from the house? @rajin929

If you do have a man door that shares access with the garage the weather stripping could be pooched or you may just have a crappy builders grade insulated door that doesn't do crap... If it leaks the warm humid air from your house into your garage you will see lots of condensation.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the responses gents!

Heating the space would help the most, keeps it much drier...intake air would come from any gaps in the seals if you did put an exhaust fan in. Keep in mind that exhausting the air is going to make the space cooler.
    A heated garage would be cool! I think I'll try out some other options first before investing in a heater

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    If you draw air out without replenishing it you could also creat a space without enough oxygen which is a hazard

If it really is that sealed... Why don’t you just run a dehumidifier
    I wouldn't say it's air tight, but the house is only a few years old. The garage doors have the weatherstripping around the door jambs and the lower rubber seal on the door is in good shape, there's no gaps or daylight coming in around the doors.

I was actually thinking of digging up the dehumidifier in the basement when I get home and run it this evening. Curious to see how many buckets of water I'll need to dump

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    It actually sounds like you have a lot of the warm humid air from your house escaping into your garage and condensing on the cold surfaces.

Is your garage attached to your house? Is there a door to access the garage from the house? @rajin929

If you do have a man door that shares access with the garage the weather stripping could be pooched or you may just have a crappy builders grade insulated door that doesn't do crap... If it leaks the warm humid air from your house into your garage you will see lots of condensation.
    Never thought of warmer humid air coming in. Garage is attached with a door to the house, and it's the builder grade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually thinking of digging up the dehumidifier in the basement when I get home and run it this evening. Curious to see how many buckets of water I'll need to dump
    Dehumidifier would probably freeze up in an unheated garage. Remember, they work by making the coil cooler than the surrounding air to condense moisture out of them.

If it really is that sealed...
    That's near on impossible, a bath fan can't create a vacuum environment, it would either draw air in from leaky areas or simply not be able to overcome the pressure differential and air wouldn't be pulled out.

More often it's the heat from a warm vehicle getting parked inside and snow dripping off that creates humidity. If anything, try to clean off as much snow as you can and/or let the vehicle cool down before putting it away inside.

Honestly, it's pretty normal to get condensation on the windows in a garage, unless the walls are perpetually wet/dripping, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doesn’t have to be a complete vacuum environment to be a health hazard @SomeGuy

But you guys continue the conversation, I know nothing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn’t have to be a complete vacuum environment to be a health hazard @SomeGuy

But you guys continue the conversation, I know nothing.

I just can't see how the addition of a bathroom exhaust fan in a previously completely non-ventilated garage could ever cause a health problem.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a more simplified solution; Is there anywhere you can place a simple small vent to the outside?

_3

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    For a more simplified solution; Is there anywhere you can place a simple small vent to the outside?

_3
    I wouldn't do that. Then your garage is basically outdoors 24/7.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't do that. Then your garage is basically outdoors 24/7.
    Well that's the way it was done for decades...

When we built my Dad's garage; mind you completely separate from the house, it was well insulated but definitely not as 'airtight' as rajin's seems to be, we placed a small vent high on one wall.

Not a large vent but a small finned vent and the garage stays dry, cold maybe but dry. Nothing a heater couldn't fix if and when you have to do work in there, which is where my Dads woodworking shop is.

Its worked well for over 30 years.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_3
    Well that's the way it was done for decades...

When we built my Dad's garage; mind you completely separate from the house, it was well insulated but definitely not as 'airtight' as rajin's seems to be, we placed a small vent high on one wall.

Not a large vent but a small finned vent and the garage stays dry, cold maybe but dry. Nothing a heater couldn't fix if and when you have to do work in there, which is where my Dads woodworking shop is.

Its worked well for over 30 years.

_3
    yup, we're in a detached house so 1 side of the double garage is an exterior wall.
    That's where my dad was suggesting to install a fan to move some air outside. The flaps on the vent would stay closed when the fan is not running so should keep the cold air out (knowing the garage will be colder regardless)

No doubt parking a warm car with some snow underneath is contributing to the problem.
    We always get out and knock as much snow out of the wheel wells as possible in the driveway before driving into the garage.
    The windows on the garage door look like the inside of a chest freezer lol

Last edited by rajin929; 01-03-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a better man door would help with this but I somewhat agree with @SomeGuy too.
    However, the amount of moisture the cold air can hold is minuscule and leads me to think there is additional warm moist air being mixed in to the garage.

If the man door to the garage is original to the house, upgrading to a better insulated door with better weather stripping will help and also reduce your utility bills for heating and AC. In my experience most doors and windows that are 10+ years old suck when compared to the new designs, mainly due to better weather stripping and less thermal bridging. @rajin929

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a better man door would help with this but I somewhat agree with @SomeGuy too.
    However, the amount of moisture the cold air can hold is minuscule and leads me to think there is additional warm moist air being mixed in to the garage.

If the man door to the garage is original to the house, upgrading to a better insulated door with better weather stripping will help and also reduce your utility bills for heating and AC. In my experience most doors and windows that are 10+ years old suck when compared to the new designs, mainly due to better weather stripping and less thermal bridging. @rajin929
    Warm moist air? Yes, heat from the vehicle and melting snow.

Rajin - do you park inside every night? Try not parking in the garage, bet the moisture problems go away pretty quick. If so, the answer is what I said previously...clean the vehicle off better before putting it away and let it cool down a bit first.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the short-term until you get the fan installed, keep the garage door partially open for a few hours - an few inches is enough. As mentioned it’s most likely the melting snow from the cars.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rajin - do you park inside every night? Try not parking in the garage, bet the moisture problems go away pretty quick. If so, the answer is what I said previously...clean the vehicle off better before putting it away and let it cool down a bit first.
    Any air from the house is humidified unless he is living in a house with rads and base board heaters. Any air from the inside of the house will have more humidity in it from biological factors and the HVAC system.

Do what @SomeGuy says and see if the condensation goes away. See if it's from the car or from something else. @rajin929

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks gents! appreciate the comments and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    In the short-term until you get the fan installed, keep the garage door partially open for a few hours - an few inches is enough. As mentioned it’s most likely the melting snow from the cars.
    +1, the Mrs. is home today so the car's out in the driveway and the doors are cracked a few inches.

Yup, every night as that's the car our son travels in. Will certainly clean the car better and let it cool down moving forward

Any air from the house is humidified unless he is living in a house with rads and base board heaters. Any air from the inside of the house will have more humidity in it from biological factors and the HVAC system.

Do what @SomeGuy says and see if the condensation goes away. See if it's from the car or from something else. @rajin929
    House is only a few years old, so the door to the house does have the magnetic weather stripping. But I wouldn't discount it yet, I think the car and lack of ventilation is the culprit

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

House shopping is the worst.

We sold our house a few days after listing it, for quite a bit above asking. But the town we're moving to is tiny a d there's almost nothing on the market. We are going to be homeless because we can't find a house for sale that isn't a money pit.

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

House shopping is the worst.

We sold our house a few days after listing it, for quite a bit above asking. But the town we're moving to is tiny a d there's almost nothing on the market. We are going to be homeless because we can't find a house for sale that isn't a money pit.
    Might be worth it to rent for a bit. Sucks to spend the money and double move, but you might get a better idea of where to move in town, and really pay attention to what comes up.
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    Forged internals + GTX2871r
    // Build thread // Instagram: @sleepy.ms3

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you move to a different area nearby?

Page 95 of 99 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast