Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Computer w/ Aftermarket Deck (Any Mazda techs out there? ;)

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trip Computer w/ Aftermarket Deck (Any Mazda techs out there? ;)

I'm trying to find ways to keep the trip computer in the car with an aftermarket head unit.

I briefly looked at the LCD unit and noticed there's a wire harness that comes out of another harness which goes into the radio. Does anyone have a pin out?

I'm wondering if the fuel computer is present somewhere else in the car, ie: the ECU, and the radio simply passes information between the LCD and the ECU...? I mean, there's no way the radio would have access to the fuel information without being able to talk to the ECU.

So my question is: Where is the fuel computer located? Is it really part of the radio or is the radio simply acting like middleware?

I stripped a factory head unit down to just a small circuit board, but it made me realize I still need to figure out how to wire the front radio panel (Ie: all the buttons) so I actually have the "info" button... At least it beats having to stuff the entire radio in your glove box. The circuit board is the width of the radio and about 2-3 CDs thick.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trip Computer w/ Aftermarket Deck (Any Mazda techs out there? ;)

the radio and MID sits in the canbus system... it talks to the gauge cluster, ECU, PJB, etc... the radio does part of the trip computer stuff

so without any sort of control module for it, a trip computer isn't possible... like I said before, the only way to keep all the functions of the MID is to get the expensive japanese dash kits instead of that cheap metra garbage
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    the radio and MID sits in the canbus system... it talks to the gauge cluster, ECU, PJB, etc... the radio does part of the trip computer stuff

so without any sort of control module for it, a trip computer isn't possible... like I said before, the only way to keep all the functions of the MID is to get the expensive japanese dash kits instead of that cheap metra garbage
    This was my understanding too. I checked prices, they are like $300 canadian to get...probably more with shipping and stuff. Even then, I didn't find the trip computer stuff all that accurate. If anything, I'd attempt to get a ScanGaugeII and put that in the location. You get the trip computer + more stuff and probably more accurate. Only thing lost is the temp.
    2008.5 GT Sport - Black Mica - SOLD!
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 - Black Mica - Minor Mods

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.. Might consider Scangauge, but haven't ruled out this solution yet. lol

What are these expensive Japanese kits you guys speak of? I've seen the regular kits, even one that has some box attached to it for the LCD (But from my understanding, only keeps climate control but not trip computer stuff?)... Can you guys give me names or links?

So I guess best case, I can sandwich two boards together: The actual radio PCB and the radio-buttons PCB... The problem is, the angle is wrong. It would keep the board with the buttons at 90degrees from the other board, which takes up too much space. I would probably need to get someone to move the connectors into a different position... But best case scenario, if I go down this route, I could build a trip computer out of radio parts that's about a DVD case thick and about 1.5 times in size...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
    Trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.. Might consider Scangauge, but haven't ruled out this solution yet. lol

What are these expensive Japanese kits you guys speak of? I've seen the regular kits, even one that has some box attached to it for the LCD (But from my understanding, only keeps climate control but not trip computer stuff?)... Can you guys give me names or links?

So I guess best case, I can sandwich two boards together: The actual radio PCB and the radio-buttons PCB... The problem is, the angle is wrong. It would keep the board with the buttons at 90degrees from the other board, which takes up too much space. I would probably need to get someone to move the connectors into a different position... But best case scenario, if I go down this route, I could build a trip computer out of radio parts that's about a DVD case thick and about 1.5 times in size...
    http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...volkey=&page=3

About 1/2 down the page...item 143-213-002

"Without CD, Radio, Music Server, switch panel but with ambient temperature sensor. 4 speaker."

If you look at the picture, it looks like in the top right corner it has a switch of some kind that would control trip computer. Not 100% sure though.

If you click on the "Convert This" and refresh the page, you get the following

27,600 yen(JPY)
    (328.44 CAD)

I don't think that's with shipping either.

So I'm sure it's not cheap to get it back if it's possible.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it just keeps the LCD powered and mounted. The problem is you still need a way to access the settings, there doesn't appear to be any button (Or even if there are, there's no wiring harness in the pics connecting the front panel to the car).

I don't think anyone's done it! :/

Edit: Unless "6702/67-030" on the top right does something... but there still doesn't seem to be a button to access the information on the panel?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it just keeps the LCD powered and mounted. The problem is you still need a way to access the settings, there doesn't appear to be any button (Or even if there are, there's no wiring harness in the pics connecting the front panel to the car).

I don't think anyone's done it! :/

Edit: Unless "6702/67-030" on the top right does something... but there still doesn't seem to be a button to access the information on the panel?
    That's what I'm thinking. Powered is one thing as the cord is still there and can be plugged in anyways. Just you have no way to access it. But not having the unit, can't say. Also, a bit much to spend all that money when not sure XD

To me, it's no big deal. I think I'd rather get a ScanGauge and put it in that area somehow instead. Might work better and have more info.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a few pictures of what must be the "trip computer" in the radio (Along with the radio and everything else minus the CD player )

Most of the stuff that's standing up from the circuit board can be removed, I think. The small silver box on the right side appears to be the radio tuner... I can remove it and the bracket behind it. The tall flat-silver bracket on the left side is protecting some transistors, plus acting like a heat shield for the 4 transistors. Those might be able to come off Depending on what they do. Worse case, they can be easily relocated.

The only thing that might pose some trouble is the capacitor in the rear middle quadrant... But might be able to relocate/reposition that one as well.

The two front black connectors are what link up to the circuit board with the buttons (including the info button). Those would have to be repositioned in a way that allows the circuit board to be mated parallel with this board, rather than at 90 degrees...

Luckily there are nice large contacts on the board, making soldering easy....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks interesting! I guess trying to figure out how the info gets sent from that to the radio is the key.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_F1 View Post
    Looks interesting! I guess trying to figure out how the info gets sent from that to the radio is the key.
    Yup! And probably above my tampering abilities So I might just settle for sandwiching the two circuit boards together into a compact trip computer and install THAT in the glove box, rather than the entire CD player...

It probably isn't hard to reverse engineer though. Most of the stuff is labeled on the board. I know where the CAN bus related contact points are, but I wouldn't know how to interface with them. In theory, this is a single button so it SHOULD be easy to create your own "info" button and make this whole system self contained in a very small foot print, but that's way above my technical abilities... I'm not a hardware engineer. I'm just going to settle for keeping the existing system but stuffing it into the smallest foot print possible...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I think I might have just found out a MUCH cleaner way to do this. I did some research online and was about to buy a CAN to USB adapter to start mapping out IDs, but apparently someone already did this on our cars. Our cars actually have two CAN buses, a high speed and a low speed one. The low speed one is the one we need, it ties in all accessories. The high speed one controls more critical stuff like brakes, speed sensors, etc.

Anyways, check this out:

CAN Message ID:

00000290 Headunit LCD Alphanumberic display 1/2
    00000291 Headunit LCD Alphanumberic display 2/2
    00000400 byte 0,1->5,6 will display Average speed, fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, distance remaining...

That's all I need! That probably means I can display my own stuff on the alpha numeric display after I swap in the aftermarket headunit... Too cool...

So in theory, I just need a CAN USB adapter to make the LCD screen do whatever I want once I remove the head unit..... What would be wild is if Cobb stepped up and created a simple INFO button on their Cobb AP, since they already tapp into the HS-CAN bus (The HS-CAN bus and MS-CAN Bus are joined at the cluster, which acts as a gateway for both buses... So in theory, the access port COULD trigger the INFO display if Cobb would make such a feature (Don't hold your breath)...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an example of what can be done by using a custom made CAN bus controller (Or a PC with the right dongle) and hacking a parktronic (reverse sensor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=RU&hl=ru&v=CyD_FxV9RLs

How bad ass is that??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's pretty nice..
    Do it cj, then help me do mine :p

i want my car to say hello Osman when it starts up lol..
    2008.5 Mazda3 Black Mica GS Sedan- Injen RD6061 CAI - Koni Yellows - Eibach Prokits - SPC Rear Camber Kit - Tenzo Type M 18x8 Powdercoated Bronze - Yokohama S.Drives 225/40/18 - Rolled Fenders - Rear Flares - Gforce Strut Bar - Prolumen 6000K - 3000k HID Fogs - Speedline Wide Angle Blue/LED Side Mirrors - LED Interior - Eyelids - LED 3rd Brake Light/Sidemarkers - LED Reflectors -LED Footwell/Trunk/Cup Holder Lighting - Solar Guard 28% Tints All Round - VG Sharkfin - Borla Catback - 07+ GS Lip - Eyelids - Sideskirt Extensions - Aluminium Pedals - Sickspeed Horns - Kenwood - Alpine - SPL -

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone know russian?? Sliderspb strikes again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAza7...e=channel_page

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that guy went on to make the backup sensor -> LCD mod that I posted in another thread. The Russians are way ahead of everyone when it comes to CAN hacking. =) Although the Germans also have a lot of resources, just not a lot of working concepts....

Edit: Whoops, I posted it in THIS thread... Memory must be going lol. I thought you posted this in my "LCD Teaser" thread.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your post is what got me looking for him, it is the same guy, this video was posted a month ago. And by speculating, the scrolling banner "PC Car for Mazda", I'm hoping it's a USB based solution

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like a CAN controller. Might be USB, but it's never plug and play unfortunately I've messaged him for info... I've already got a USB one but it's far from plug and play...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a box to replace the stereo. Uses the steering wheel buttons and interfaces to the aftermarket deck with infrared. I just have Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer working. One of these days I will find the time to set up a website to sell this.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interfacing with the aftermarket deck isn't a problem (TMK?), it's getting the stock fuel computer and LCD screen do function after you remove your factory radio... That's what this thread is about. Can you do that with your box? (Please say yes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

nice info. i need to do something like this fore my setup too.
    i was able to find this with a quick google search...you probably came across it already though

http://www.madox.net/blog/2008/11/17...an-bus-part-1/
    http://www.madox.net/blog/mazda-can-bus/
    - Piru :: 2008.5 GT black mica sedan
    17% tint :: 4300K factory HID lowbeams :: 7000K highbeams :: 6000K HID fogs :: blue calipers :: eibach pro-kits :: eibach/spc camber links
    sharkfin :: nextmod strut bar :: ractive sri :: exedy clutch :: exedy flywheel :: short shifter :: carpc

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interfacing with the aftermarket deck isn't a problem (TMK?), it's getting the stock fuel computer and LCD screen do function after you remove your factory radio... That's what this thread is about. Can you do that with your box? (Please say yes
    Yes. PM me for details.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CJ did you ever get this to work.
    Falken FK-452 | 225-45R18 | Konig Hotswap |35% Tints| Greddy TT| Cobb Sri| Cobb Shifter| Cobb AP Stage 2| BC Coilovers | Cobb Shifter Weight| Cobb Inlet Pipe |TS BOV |Dashhawk| COBB FMIC |CPE MM|CPE TBE| NRG ETD|
    STILL TO COME: |Whatever I can get my hands on before she kills me|
    2003 Blue Yamaha R6
    Pazzo shorty levers|Hindle exhaust|flush mount turn signals|Fender eliminator|Smoked windscreen|8000k HID

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started slacking off... I managed to get all the software I need and the right cables, I even managed to trigger the clock via computer.. But long way to go. I have to sit down and start logging what goes on with the car with a stock deck vs aftermarket.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Semi-bringing this back (forgot about it till now)

I started slacking off... I managed to get all the software I need and the right cables, I even managed to trigger the clock via computer.. But long way to go. I have to sit down and start logging what goes on with the car with a stock deck vs aftermarket.
    Looking at the following...

http://www.madox.net/blog/projects/mazda-can-bus/

I see a couple mentions of temp as well as 1/2 screen. If it can be figured out which is the external temp, I'd really like to know so I could try and get it to my scangauge

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost have finished the CAN-USB adapter, now working on adding to it the ELM functionality.
    I did a sniffing of the internal can bus and got some data.
    The switching of the display wasn’t my target, but who knows, maybe it will be. While my memory is fresh …
    The head unit sends packets with id 28F. Every packet has 8 bytes length.
    The content of those packets is looking in this way.

Head unit switched off, selected AM mode or display is showing the volume, balance, etc.
    C0 00 00 00 20 00 00 03 or C0 00 00 00 A0 00 00 03

Enabled FM mode or AUX mode
    C1 00 00 00 20 00 00 03

Not tuned station and before station name is an inscription like Fm1: or LW:
    C1 00 00 22 20 00 00 03 or D1 00 00 22 20 00 00 03

Playing CD
    C1 00 00 18 20 00 00 03

Playing CD and pressed “Info” key
    C1 00 00 18 28 00 00 03 (is set bit3 of 5th byte )

Playing CD and pressed “Clock” key
    C1 00 00 18 30 00 00 03 or C1 00 00 18 B0 00 00 03 (is set bit4 of 5th byte )

Every time when head unit changes the content of the display, the bit 7 of 5th byte is triggering into another state until a next change, that is why “green” number can be 2 or A.
    I tried to send these packets with been set bit 4, but without success. Possible, because the head unit was working in parallel and was sending the packets too. There is another node, don’t know what is it ,control panel or lcd display. Node has the id 401 and transmits only one byte there is a changing bit too. Possible there is a “handshake” between these “semaphoring” bits.

There is short video how the data runs inside of the bus.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiBPixShtM

My work wasn’t finished and I’m planning to continue some hacking, maybe I will have more info about switching the display too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast