Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvements after first oil change?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvesments after first oil cha

Quote Originally Posted by greyseason View Post
    11 over? It's supposed to be 55L. Where does it say it's a 44L tank? Or do you mean 44mpg?
    Nah, just another TM3 poster in this thread claimed he allegedly filled his Skyactiv hatch with 66L of fuel, which is 11L over the manufacturer specification of 55L fuel capacity.

bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvesments after first oil cha

Quote Originally Posted by hisakix View Post
    Nah, just another TM3 poster in this thread claimed he allegedly filled his Skyactiv hatch with 66L of fuel, which is 11L over the manufacturer specification of 55L fuel capacity.
    Oh gotcha. 66L seems high, I know when I bought my car the dealer put in 60L to top it right up. My thought is they do that so when they're trying to sell you a car, it'll go say 1000km on 55L, but I have yet to get that and I probably get te best mileage on the forum lol

I am going to try and fill the car up to the max and shoot for 1000km but I am doubtful of that
    Skyactiv Powa

Corksport | Nextmod | Garage16 | Work | Razo | Tein | Audio Heaven | Broadway | Eurolight | Sony | Kicker | Alpine |

"everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, explains how I get over 60L in my own car..
    The MS3 & GT's have 60L tanks, Skyactiv's are 55L.

For a Skyactiv to fill in at 66L is huge.. the car must be really empty.
    I have got over 60L in these cars many times..
    From the South- Windsor
    Windsor Mazda Service Advisor
    2007 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD
    2012 MS3 CWP- SOLD but not forgotten
    2016 SWP Mazda6 GT 6-MT- DAILY

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The heck?
    The most I've been able to fill up is around 50L
    On avg I've been filling up around 40L-45L and I fill up when the light turns on...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    The heck?
    The most I've been able to fill up is around 50L
    On avg I've been filling up around 40L-45L and I fill up when the light turns on...
    Same with me, but if you run it til the last square is gone and full it til it overflows you should get around 55+ liters

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greyseason View Post
    Same with me, but if you run it til the last square is gone and full it til it overflows you should get around 55+ liters
    Yup, quick math:

12 squares = 55L
    55/12 = 4.5L/square

This was the first thing I figured out when I got the car, and confirmed at the gas station, by getting to 3 squares and filling up ~40L

Right now I get around ~600km/tank (90% city) and my car is due for its first service in July. Will report if I see any change!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Wing View Post
    Yup, quick math:

12 squares = 55L
    55/12 = 4.5L/square

This was the first thing I figured out when I got the car, and confirmed at the gas station, by getting to 3 squares and filling up ~40L

Right now I get around ~600km/tank (90% city) and my car is due for its first service in July. Will report if I see any change!
    I did the same thing too, but you guys gotta get an ultraguage. Honestly the best mod I've bought for the car. I've noticed my gas mileage goes up after an oil change, so you should too. Also around 50k get your intake/fuel system cleaned. Just got that done and it's ah-mazing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_hatch View Post
    I've had my Skyactiv since May 2012, it now has 31,500km on it and I have noticed a decrease in fuel economy (I'm aware it's probably due to colder weather and winter tires). In the summer I was pushing 750km a tank, now it seems to vary anywhere from 500km - 600km.
    Thats what i have been getting. Very disappointing but still love the car

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Skyactiv officially has a 55L tank including 5L in reserve. Overflow has it around 10 L making it around 65L give or take. People say that you shoudn't be filling the tank that much to the brim. Frankly, I don't care because of my commutes, I need every ounce of gas I can muster.

As for fuel economy numbers in general, it would seem that I am having slightly better fuel economy with my vehicle compared to my old 2006 Chevy Cobalt, with 8.0L/100km compared to 9.0L/100km. Then again, I drive like a maniac (when this car is so much more fun to drive compared to the Cobalt....) I could get it down to 7 if I was good with the throttle but I just don't see that happening...

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of oil do you skyactiv guys/gals use? Is there a better brand than the bulk crap the dealer uses? When would you recommend I do my first oil change on my brand new 2013 Mazda 3 Sport GS-L

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funkdupspeed3 View Post
    What kind of oil do you skyactiv guys/gals use? Is there a better brand than the bulk crap the dealer uses? When would you recommend I do my first oil change on my brand new 2013 Mazda 3 Sport GS-L
    I recall a thread or posts on here that the official Mazda oil for the Skyactiv is actually a pretty good synthetic for a not-unreasonable price.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Alive View Post
    This is the farthest thing from the truth.
    It is better to visit a dealership for all your services in case something happens in the future to the vehicle.
    When you have a dealer maintain the vehicle, everything is recorded and available online for them to access.
    Ex.) You go to Florida, car breaks down; they can access certain information to find out about the history of the vehicle to validate your warranty claim.

If you take your car to Jerk Lube & don't save your receipts, you forget one, are stuck in a bind & cannot provide necessary documentation, then yes, you could quite possibly run the risk of being unable to obtain a warranty-related repair.

Its best to go to one dealership & stick with them; they will get to know you & your vehicle best.
    Hope that helps.

P.S. Its wise to change the oil before the 2,000km mark the first time when the vehicle is brand-new.
    Moe
    When the warranty is over, I am gone to my nearest trusted mechanic. These dealers will try to get every penny from your pocket for work that sometimes you don't really need or you can somebody to do it for you at half the price.

Mechanics get paid for work being done.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_Zoom View Post
    When the warranty is over, I am gone to my nearest trusted mechanic. These dealers will try to get every penny from your pocket for work that sometimes you don't really need or you can somebody to do it for you at half the price.

Yep. Always go to the dealership until the warranty expires.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just picked up my brand new 2013 Mazda3 Sport GS-L last week. Does the suspension settle and lower a bit over time. I am sitting really high compared to other mazda3 sports on stock 16inch alloy wheels.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The suspension should already be settled. How many kms have you put on it so far? The springs will take a long time to sag, if your that concerned maybe buy some Eibachs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_Zoom View Post

Refer to your Maintenance Schedule and you will find that most of which they try to sell you, you do actually need according to Mazda. Also just about anything suspension, engine, fluids have a scheduled interval for replacement. Theres always someone who can do it cheaper. If you want it done cheaper, shouldn't have gone to the dealer in the first place.

Also Technicians, not Mechanics. Techncians diagnose, and understand why the part failed. A Mechanic is just a glorified parts changer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One last thing. If your not using the recommended oil or better, according to Mazda your not going to get the advertised fuel economy. Mazda uses Petro Canada 0w20, honestly its okay. Its actually meets minimum standards. I would upgrade to a better synthetic. Mazda now carries Castrol Edge Professional (not sold retail), its reasonably priced. According to Castrol it outperforms Mobil 1, but they also didn't compare it to Royal Purple, Amsoil or Redline.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMike02 View Post
    The suspension should already be settled. How many kms have you put on it so far? The springs will take a long time to sag, if your that concerned maybe buy some Eibachs.
    car has 1500km

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive had my 2013 GS-SKY for about 3.5 months now im at 2,900km on the odom. i drive a lot of city(almost all city to be honest, work is really close to me) and im averaging about 400km a tank, in almost all city driving how normal is that ? are you city drivers doing any better ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narindra View Post
    ive had my 2013 GS-SKY for about 3.5 months now im at 2,900km on the odom. i drive a lot of city(almost all city to be honest, work is really close to me) and im averaging about 400km a tank, in almost all city driving how normal is that ? are you city drivers doing any better ?
    Do you have a lead foot?

I do mostly city driving, probably 80% and get about 600km a tank. When I do more highway driving, I get about 700km+ a tank.

Most I ever got was doing almost all highway driving, I was at 215km and only used a quarter tank.

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 on a good tank but about 70% city drivin, short trips.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that seems normal for highway, don't know how that possible in city unless your driving like a turtle lol. the first 3 squares account for more liters then the others do because of the way the tank is shaped. And i have no idea to be honest. some times i do no highway driving on a tank. but when i do go highway i do ok.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shit, i failed to mention i dont drive the car all the way to the point the warning comes on, but still close. i suppose taking that into consideration im right on point woot

Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that seems normal for highway, don't know how that possible in city unless your driving like a turtle lol. the first 3 squares account for more liters then the others do because of the way the tank is shaped. And i have no idea to be honest. some times i do no highway driving on a tank. but when i do go highway i do ok.
    Lol I don't drive like a turtle, but kind of hard to drive fast when I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic during my morning and evening commute I'm just easy on the braking, I try to cruise as much as I can.

Ride
    2012 Mazda 3 GS-Sky
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To chime in. On my 2012 Sky (17000km) Never get lower then 550 on a tank, avg about 600-625, and highway over 700. My commute takes me across the city on the 401 so my avg might be a little higher as it's a 70% highway commute.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast