Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How does SkyActiv engine compare to the 2.3L and 2.5L performance-wise?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How does SkyActiv engine compare to the 2.3L and 2.5L performance-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Anyone have an engine dyno/torque curve for the old 2.0L MZR engine? This is the only one I've been able to find of the Skyactiv, which shows the torque at 2300RPM has surpassed the peak torque of the MZR engine. It does dip at 2500RPM but again it is still equal to the old MZR's peak (135 ft-lbs).

Having said that, my experience is also that the real thrust from the engine comes in the higher rev ranges (agrees with the dyno) and I feel that you need to wring out the engine a bit more than the old 2.0L. This feeling is also due to a) the auto-trans being a bit mushier than I was used to with my standard before, and b) even though the torque at lower RPMs is similar to the old engine, now that there is more at higher RPMs the lower range feels less powerful, respective to the higher RPMs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How does SkyActiv engine compare to the 2.3L and 2.5L performance-wise?

SkyACtiv review on Motoring 2012

Nothing but positive things to say. Giving Mazda ton's of praise for not jumping on the hybrid bandwagon, instead they are happy MAzda is trying to improve the gas engine. Also mentioned how fun it was to drive and the handling is great.

I'll try to find it online.
    Last edited by Kessly Snipes; 02-25-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Snipes. They finally uploaded the episode you were talking about.

http://motoringtv.com/episode-8--p149467

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was doing a lot of research on this subject lately so I thought I'd share.

caranddriver.com has a lot of PDFs which are their "test results" from their road tests. They extensively test performance, even the types of things that matter in the real world, i.e. time to go from 50mph to 70mph (which is basically Overtaking)

Dunno if I'm allowed to post links but here they are:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-car-sedan.pdf

From above, the 2011 or 2012 Mazda3 with 2.5L and 5AT does 0-60mph in 7.4s and quarter mile in 16 seconds.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...iv-test-review

From above, the 2012 Mz3 SkyActiv 2.0 with 6MT does 0-60 in 7.9s and the 6AT version does 0-60 in 8.3s. Quarter mile for 6MT is 16 seconds, but wasn't tested for 6AT.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and this PDF has performance info for the 2011/2012 Mz3 with 2.5L and 6MT:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...mance-data.pdf

Summary: 0-60 in 7.3s, quarter mile in 15.7s

I'd be interested in "overtaking" perf specs for the SkyActiv (50-70 or 30-50) if anyone can find it... this is more to satiate my curiosity, I'm obviously not going to put down a deposit on a car based on statistics

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of "overtaking", I'm assuming you're referring to city? Or do you mean highway?

In the city, I find that the car doesn't have much low-end torque. If you want to pass someone, I'd usually use 2nd or 3rd gear for the accel. The car comes more "alive" after 3000 rpm I find.

On the highway, I usually need to downshift to 4th or 3rd to get power to pass someone.

Hope it helps. I drive a 6MT btw if that's helpful...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx for the info, but i was more looking for some "professional" tests similar to what Car & Driver conducted, and published... although based on what you said, maybe the SkyActiv will fare better in 50-70 rather than 30-50...

Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    In terms of "overtaking", I'm assuming you're referring to city? Or do you mean highway?

In the city, I find that the car doesn't have much low-end torque. If you want to pass someone, I'd usually use 2nd or 3rd gear for the accel. The car comes more "alive" after 3000 rpm I find.

On the highway, I usually need to downshift to 4th or 3rd to get power to pass someone.

Hope it helps. I drive a 6MT btw if that's helpful...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a question, but who actually "drives around" at 3000+ ?

bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by z00min View Post
    Just a question, but who actually "drives around" at 3000+ ?
    The only time I'm at 3000 is if I'm going faster than 120kph on the highway, or if I wanna hear the engine around town. I'm in a sky sedan 6M
    Skyactiv Powa

Corksport | Nextmod | Garage16 | Work | Razo | Tein | Audio Heaven | Broadway | Eurolight | Sony | Kicker | Alpine |

"everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found this thread while searching about the idea of swapping a new skyactive into an old model mazda3.

I know anything is possible, but how difficult could one expect it to be to swap a new SKyactive engine into, say maybe, a 2008 Mazda3 GT hatch or sedan?

(All resource/cost/feasibility concerns aside)

I know next to nothing about engine swaps, but initially I imagine the ECU would need to be re-worked with the instruments? and there must be enough room in most of the models to accommodate the engine, right?
    ProDJtege //
    gone: Black 2002 Protege LX 2.0L [LEDs, modified intake, P5 side-skirts & OEM front lip]
    gone: Black 2008.5 GT 2.3L, mostly stock + LEDs + K&N filter + black painted calipers & hubs + Hawk HPS brake pads + synthetic 5w20 oil + STB + Flex 5-wire ground kit + Flex Big3 kit + 23% NR-charcoal tint
    Current: 2017 Dark Grey Subaru Forester 2.5i Ltd w/ tech + 23% NR Charcoal tint

bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have you read the thread a bout the speed3 sedan swap? He listed almost everything he needed to swap it in. Id imagine almost the same things would be needed for a sky-gen1 swap, but all the motot mounts may be different \(the sky TMM, and possibly gen2 is)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123