Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Problem with oil 5w50 sn

hi

For Mazda 3 2011 2.0 AT in the vehicle manual, the engine oil required for the Mazda is 5-30w sm or 10-40 w sn.

The air temperature in our city is 20 ° C min in winter and 46 ° C max in summer.(iran)

Is the use of engine oil with a viscosity of 5-50w sn suitable for this temperature.

If not, what the viscosity of the oil should be??

The machine was running 7000 kilometers and the previous oil had a viscosity of 10-40 w sn .

Now I want to replace the oil or use the oil with a viscosity of 5-50w sn .

I replaced the engine oil and the oil with a viscosity of 5-50 sn and With this

engine oil gone500 km I have to change the oil again or not???

Does this type of oil harm the engine?5w-50 sn

PLEASE HELLP ME

THANKS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Problem with oil 5w50 sn

A 5W-50 motor oil is suited for a broad range of applications including motorsport, classic/collector cars (engine tends to heat up more)and extreme driving conditions like towing and high operating temperatures.
    So are towing ? then use it
    Are you racing ? then use it
    Are you driving where outside temp exceed 40C all day? then use it.

I take my 2012 mazda 2.0L occasionally tothe race track in the summer . I am a spirited driver , revving the engine to redline daily, and i use 5w30 full synthetic oil.
    Manual says 0w20 for my 2012 mazda 3 2.0L. Because i have high mileage (over 250K) i decided with a less thin oil...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

mehdi727 (02-28-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using a 5w-50 oil is not only dangerous; (Too thick an oil viscosity can screw up your Variable Valve train actuator for instance), but also ridiculous.

Use what is stated on your cap, and use synthetic for ultimate protection.

5W-30 or 0W-30 is all you should be using.

_3

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

G ~ MINI (02-25-2020),mehdi727 (02-28-2020)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I replaced the previous oil and poured the oil 5w-40 into the engine.
    the vehicle manual, the engine oil required for the Mazda is 5-30w sm or 10-40 w sn.
    This engine oil 5w-40 is in between these two viscosities. I contacted two oil companies to say that oil is good for your city.5w40 sn Do you think this engine oil is suitable?
    My driving is normal. I do not race and the ambient temperature is not always above 40 degrees.
    It is stated in the manual that use quality (sm) motor oil or that it is motor oil (sn) harmful to use oil.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mehdi727 View Post
    I replaced the previous oil and poured the oil 5w-40 into the engine.
    the vehicle manual, the engine oil required for the Mazda is 5-30w sm or 10-40 w sn.
    This engine oil 5w-40 is in between these two viscosities. I contacted two oil companies to say that oil is good for your city.5w40 sn Do you think this engine oil is suitable?
    My driving is normal. I do not race and the ambient temperature is not always above 40 degrees.
    It is stated in the manual that use quality (sm) motor oil or that it is motor oil (sn) harmful to use oil.
    If your manual states you can use a 10W-40 then with 5W-40 you should be fine, since the temps you drive in are high. I assume the sn. means synthetic? If so the abbreviation is syn.

_3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

mehdi727 (02-28-2020)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know anywhere in the manual where it says anything about 5w40. the only mazda 3s used to be 5w30. then it changed to 5w20 and then 0w20. but it said you could go back from 0w20 and use either 5w20 or 5w30 if you needed to. but if your using 5w50 well good luck to you. that i think is going to cause you issues down the road. maybe in an area where its warmer and the flow rate will be high but here in canada and cold temps that i dont think is a good plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Booter22 For This Useful Post:

G ~ MINI (02-28-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    i dont know anywhere in the manual where it says anything about 5w40. the only mazda 3s used to be 5w30. then it changed to 5w20 and then 0w20. but it said you could go back from 0w20 and use either 5w20 or 5w30 if you needed to. but if your using 5w50 well good luck to you. that i think is going to cause you issues down the road. maybe in an area where its warmer and the flow rate will be high but here in canada and cold temps that i dont think is a good plan.
    I agree
    Im running the 5w30 Molygen which has alot of slippy stuff within to reduce friction &wear and i can feel the engine needs to warm up the oil a touch longer (especially winter temps) than when i was on mazda oem 0w20.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is stated in the manual that use quality (sm) motor oil or that it is motor oil (sn) harmful to use oil.sn is more quality than sm?It is harmful to use a higher quality oil؟You use Sm or sn 5w20 motor oil in Canada

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is stated in the manual that use quality (sm) motor oil or that it is motor oil (sn) harmful to use oil.sn is more quality than sm?It is harmful to use a higher quality oil؟You use Sm or sn 5w20 motor oil in Canada
    i heard. read or was told when i worked for mazda to use 5w50 in a 3. in a speed 3 i know the guys used 5w40.

so i wouldnt personally suggest to use 5w50.

0W20, 5W20 Or 5W30 would be the only grades i would personally use if needed but i have used 0W20 synth in my 2010 mazda 3 2.0 since new and its at about 220k now still running well no burning.
    Last edited by Booter22; 03-03-2020 at 12:28 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Booter22 For This Useful Post:

G ~ MINI (03-03-2020),mehdi727 (03-03-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought i would expand this conversation seeing that im bored working from home and super productive at my work that i have extra time to think of oil. LOL
    So on oil for your daily , to boosted turbo speed3's with 300+ WHP and everything in between.....

Continuing with this look into thicker oils and aging high mileage engines (wear & tear can add ring gap and cause more oil to be consumed).
    Like i mentioned previously here, i was technically counselled to move from 0w30 (synthetic oem mazda oil) to a 5w30 because i was high mileage engine,
    but also with instruction to warm up that oil before driving (its is thicker). I settled on Molygen 5w30 , because it also contained alot of extra moly lube in its formulation.

When you get into high quality synthetics and racing oils ... 0w30 to 5w30 to 5w50. You need to read the specs on these oils and right down to the viscosity tests /
    shear tests / flash point test temps and the MSDS sheet on each. You are running a speed3 with boosted HP like 300+ at the wheels, that engine produces alot of heat
    and if tracking you may consider changing oil way sooner. Same goes with you guys with street performance mazda 3's. You push your cars hard , high revving them like i do
    you should consider changing your oil sooner. Now the misconception of better , higher quality oils / Racing oils does not mean you can be running more miles per interval.
    The synthetics is mainly about performance degradation under load (Street racing, High revving, high internal engine temp, & turbo heat). I think the main difference between a high quality synthetics (like amsoil, redline, motul & many others) & racing oils is the quality base esters and all extra slippy stuff like moly, zinc , phosphors. A 5w30 racing vs
    reg synthetic 5w30 will work differently in your cars engine and the racing oil may have a shorter interval because less detergents and anti oxidizers vs a reg synthetic but the racing will be more slippy and withstand more heat shear . So read them specs and buy what you need, and know what each give you performance wise.

I will be trying this oil in 2021 ~ SARD LMGT Racing full syth 5w30 . I was actually looking for enkei lug nuts (remember my car's on a diet). The enkei lug nuts for all 4 wheels weight 3/4 lbs. Reg lugs are up to 10lbs all 4 wheels (aftermarket closer to 10 , oem silver mazda 4-5 lbs). Enkei lugs are lighter but you must repect the torquing requirements ... no shop pneumatics, you have to hand crack them on. Lugs were Found on www.RHDjapan.com. Found the oil there too. Its a japanese site so remember that mazda 3 is Axela there and chassis is BLEAP - LF-VE if you are 2.0L non sky
    Last edited by G ~ MINI; 01-06-2021 at 03:25 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

YepYep (03-11-2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeSputnik View Post
    From my own experience, I can say that the 5w30 oil is better for big milages engines. That is what my mechanic told me. The only thing is that you must be very careful with the engine at big miles. I mean that you need to use only high-quality oil for your engine. For example, I use www.cararac.com to know what is the best type of oil I have to use for my car. It's a very useful platform where you can see all the necessary information regarding some parts of your car. In this way, I know what is the best type of oil that I need to use.
    cool website !!

Great website if want to have quick look to remember what is the spec for your model.

Stick with real Mazda OEM 0W & 5W for your engine.

Check out my post about synthetic oil if want to dig deeper on what is in an oil ... racing and street
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...t=#post1362189

18. The Following User Says Thank You to G ~ MINI For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (03-13-2021)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Using a 5w-50 oil is not only dangerous; (Too thick an oil viscosity can screw up your Variable Valve train actuator for instance), but also ridiculous.

Use what is stated on your cap, and use synthetic for ultimate protection.

5W-30 or 0W-30 is all you should be using.

_3
    nothing is stated on the cap.... that's a US/Canada thing only
    50 weight oil is one of the listed "recommended" oils in the non-US owner's manual... just a copy and paste from older owner's manuals from the past 35+ years... doesn't mean it's the right oil to use though
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi

For Mazda 3 2011 2.0 AT in the vehicle manual, the engine oil required for the Mazda is 5-30w sm or 10-40 w sn.

The air temperature in our city is 20 ° C min in winter and 46 ° C max in summer.(iran)

Is the use of engine oil with a viscosity of 5-50w sn suitable for this temperature.

If not, what the viscosity of the oil should be??

The machine was running 7000 kilometers and the previous oil had a viscosity of 10-40 w sn .

Now I want to replace the oil or use the oil with a viscosity of 5-50w sn .

I replaced the engine oil and the oil with a viscosity of 5-50 sn and With this

engine oil gone500 km I have to change the oil again or not???

Does this type of oil harm the engine?5w-50 sn

PLEASE HELLP ME

THANKS
    your engine has an oil cooler, so it is not necessary to run super thick oil to compensate for high heat... in fact, the owner's manual recommendation is based on conventional motor oil, not synthetic.... synthetic oils are designed and formulated to withstand high heat and stresses.... running a 0W30, 0W40, 5W30, 5W40 synthetic, are all perfectly suitable for your engine and your climate, especially since you have an oil cooler... if you can get API SP oil, get those instead of SN... it is better/improved specification over SN or SN+

the oil cooler is the round thing at the bottom right corner of the photo:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    your engine has an oil cooler, so it is not necessary to run super thick oil to compensate for high heat... in fact, the owner's manual recommendation is based on conventional motor oil, not synthetic.... synthetic oils are designed and formulated to withstand high heat and stresses.... running a 0W30, 0W40, 5W30, 5W40 synthetic, are all perfectly suitable for your engine and your climate, especially since you have an oil cooler... if you can get API SP oil, get those instead of SN... it is better/improved specification over SN or SN+

the oil cooler is the round thing at the bottom right corner of the photo:
    Cool thanks... learned something new today ...

The logic is if you are putting your engine in a high heat / stress duration
    best to move from a (synthetic) 0W20 to a W30 or W40 or Ow20 to a 5W30.

There always the question of moving to from a 0W to 5W or W30 to W40
    for high mileage engines. Where wear n tear (piston rings / blow out) has increased
    the OEM gap and where a thicker oil will fill that wear gap (im talking microns)