Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windshield/Dash/Cowl Rattle

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Windshield/Dash/Cowl Rattle

I've posted this in the Mazdaspeed section under stock issues, but since it affects both the MS3 and the MZ3 and possibly even the Mazda5 too, I thought it would be more appropriate to post all the info here.

This TSB isn't yet listed officially on the U.S.A. dealer TSB site, but most of the Canadian dealers are aware of its existance and can order the parts to address the problem.

CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
    MAZDA3 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / ON-BOARD TROUBLESHOOTING / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / EXTERIOR TRIM / EXCESSIVE OPERATION NOISE
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / WINDOW GLASSES / UNUSUAL VIBRATION/CHATTER
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / TRIMS AND MATS/CARPET / RESONANCE NOISE
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / INSTR.PANEL/GLOVEBOX / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)

MTOL - 5636 Dealer Repair InformationSymptom and Conditions

Some customers may experience a chattering noise when passing over bumps
    and/or driving on a rough roads,that may be confused as a dash rattle
    at the base of the windshield.

Condition may be the result of a stick slips noise that occurs between
    the cowl grill and the windshield.

Repair Procedure
    When you encounter a customer with this concern replace the insulator
    pads on the 8 hooks of the cowl grill with improved part as listed.

Part No. L206-50-794 Qty. 8 (4 per side)

I have had my MS3 in for this TSB and this does resolve the windshield/cowl rattle condition, at least it has for the past 2 weeks. We'll see once it gets even colder out.

The N/C invoice I received back from the dealer showed the following:

A Check Windshield Chatter/Rattle
    Replaced as per bulletin
    S0412XRX .4

INT./EXT. Trim and Hardware
    MZ L206-50-794 Protector x 8
    Last edited by Zoom Zoom Boy; 11-04-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Windshield/Dash/Cowl Rattle

i hear this sound when going over bumps. its a lound dry cracking sound, I'll have to have this looked at

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the post ZZB! As I've mentioned before I get a vibration/rattling type noise from the passenger side when going over bumps but have not been able to really pinpoint the exact location yet...

When I go for my next oil change I will have the dealer look at it.

This TSB will be handy.
    Mazda 3 GT 2008, Sunlight Silver

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Habs_Go View Post
    thanks for the post ZZB! As I've mentioned before I get a vibration/rattling type noise from the passenger side when going over bumps but have not been able to really pinpoint the exact location yet...

This TSB will be handy.
    No worries GHG, even if it pains my soul that I am being helpful to a Habs fan...

To save you time and aggravation, I would suggest that you ask the technician or service advisor to come on a short drive with you to confirm they hear the noise and this will also help them diagnose possible cause. This helps avoid the "cannot replicate noise" scenario which will only leave you frustrated. Moreover, the tech and advisor can check out certain areas of the car while you are driving that would be impossible, or not recommended for you to do, while driving....especially in Montreal...
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this problem on my 07 MZ3 and even my 08.5 MS3...

I looked through the million pages on this topic on the US forums and people said the fix doesn`t do much.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherB View Post
    I had this problem on my 07 MZ3 and even my 08.5 MS3...

I looked through the million pages on this topic on the US forums and people said the fix doesn`t do much.
    I just had it done approx. 2 weeks ago on my 2008.5 MS3 and it fixed my rattle issues from the windshield/cowl area.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1. You'll only be able to tell if it helps when it gets really cold. That's when most of the noises come out. Might as well have them fix it under warranty if it is an issue though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    I just had it done approx. 2 weeks ago on my 2008.5 MS3 and it fixed my rattle issues from the windshield/cowl area.
    That`s good to know... Hopefully that`ll continue once the weather gets colder.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    No worries GHG, even if it pains my soul that I am being helpful to a Habs fan...
    LOL LOL Thanks dude, I appreciate the help!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this same noise on my 09! Guess they don't address things for next model years!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Habs_Go View Post

This TSB will be handy.
    I also have a rattle on the passenger side when it's cold out. I think my glove compartment door is simply a little loose though because it disappears when I hold the lid shut.
    Wilson - 2008 GS Sport, carbon gray, bone stock (for now)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my mazda 5 is doing this

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherB View Post
    That`s good to know... Hopefully that`ll continue once the weather gets colder.
    Yah, agreed. I'll keep you guys updated once it gets colder. It did drop down to -6 or so a day or two after i had the TSB done and I didn't notice the rattle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalusername View Post
    my mazda 5 is doing this
    crap, it's a problem across their entire product line?!?!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BODY AND ACCESSORY / ON-BOARD TROUBLESHOOTING / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / EXTERIOR TRIM / EXCESSIVE OPERATION NOISE
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / WINDOW GLASSES / UNUSUAL VIBRATION/CHATTER
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / TRIMS AND MATS/CARPET / RESONANCE NOISE
    BODY AND ACCESSORY / INSTR.PANEL/GLOVEBOX / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)

I have all these problems except the carpet one..
    I just learnt to live with it
    CWP Mazdaspeed 3 w/ Mazdaspeed CAI
    http://www.jinchoiphotography.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had my 2008.5 for 2 weeks and I have noticed this noise as well! It was driving me crazy. Now I am glad there is a fix, or a hopeful fix, for it.

That's why I love this board!

Krakor - 2011 Mazda CX-7 GX (Sparkling Black)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oakville mazda told me that this was only for the speed 3 ???? I got this problem so far only once so iam not concerned but it seems like the Mazda bulletin states only mazdaspeed3 not the normal ones or the mazda 5

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been happening on mine since I got it 2 weeks ago.

I have a 2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GT.

I would assume the parts are the same fro the Speed3 and the 3 in that area of the vehicle... I could be wrong...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdas3sporte View Post
    Oakville mazda told me that this was only for the speed 3 ???? I got this problem so far only once so iam not concerned but it seems like the Mazda bulletin states only mazdaspeed3 not the normal ones or the mazda 5
    Not true. If you look at the bulletin, it actually states for the Mazda 3. It doesn't differentiate the Speed3. If you aren't hearing a constant chatter/rattle over every bump and road imperfection at normal road speed, then I doubt you have this issue. It happens all the time in any temp below like 12 degrees. Check to see if your noise is your glovebox rattling.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakor View Post
    It has been happening on mine since I got it 2 weeks ago.

I have a 2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GT.

I would assume the parts are the same fro the Speed3 and the 3 in that area of the vehicle... I could be wrong...
    The insulator pads/parts are the same on the 3 and Speed3 in the cowl area. You aren't wrong. I believe they are also the same on the Mazda5, but not 100% sure there. When I originally brought my MS3 in to have the rattle diagnosed, the tech told me he had a regular 3 GT in the shop with the exact same problem.

I think this is a rather common problem that was introduced, for whatever reason, in the 2007 model year and beyond. For instance, my wife's 2005 hatch did not have this noise at all. In fact her interior is entirely rattle proof in even the harshest cold weather and it pisses me off, more than a little, that my MS3 has had rattles while the worst she had was the infamous glove-box rattle when it was new. I am very curious to know what was introduced or changed that caused this issue in 2007 and beyond. Could be insulator pads that are out of spec, or could be some other change. In any case, I am curious...
    Last edited by Zoom Zoom Boy; 11-10-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that it is frustrating. I had a 2005 Mazda3 Sport GT and the fit and finish on that car was awesome! No rattles, nothing.

The 2008.5 model however is causing me some anxities. The fit and finish are nowhere near as good as the 2005 was.

Not sure why? Cheaper materials?

I wish someone could explain this.

Not too happy with it so far.

This is my 3rd Mazda and I have to say the quality has dropped drastically.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krakor View Post
    I agree that it is frustrating. I had a 2005 Mazda3 Sport GT and the fit and finish on that car was awesome! No rattles, nothing.

The 2008.5 model however is causing me some anxities. The fit and finish are nowhere near as good as the 2005 was.

Not sure why? Cheaper materials?

I wish someone could explain this.

Not too happy with it so far.

This is my 3rd Mazda and I have to say the quality has dropped drastically.

Krakor,

What do you find worse in the fit and finish of the new 3's? Any specific examples?

I wasn't trying to imply that the build quality is any worse than it was in the past model years. I was just expressing some frustration that my much newer MS3 had rattles that my wife's car hasn't experienced, which is dissapointing. I don't look at this cowl rattle as evidence of a degradation in build quality, simply as something new that was introduced somehow by changes in the model years. Hence, why I am also simply curious as to what changed in either the parts utilized, manufacturing process, or subtle design differenceces, that introduced this cowl rattle in 2007+ model years.

From an overall build quality standpoint, I am actually really impressed by the MS3. I know a lot of the folks with the new 2007 model year MS3 had a littany of issues, but most new model years have a lot of 'bugs' that need to be worked out by the manufacturer. The MS3 does share a lot of similiar components to the regular MZ3 hatch, but it also has enough interior, exterior and mechanical differences to really set it apart. The ride and feel of the car is so dramatically different than my wife's MZ3 hatch and I am not just talking about the power aspect.

For instance, the clutch in the MS3 is a much shorter, lighter and super sensitive engagement (much like a real racing clutch) compared to the regular 3 and I find it difficult driving my wife's car now when I've been driving the MS3 a lot. Basically, I find myself riding the clutch in her car after gear engagement, as the normal MZ3 has a longer pedal engagement and very forgiving clutch and drivetrain set-up. It is truly one of the easiest cars for someone wanting to learn how to drive a stick IMO. The MS3, not so much...

The steering, braking and suspension input are also drastically different in the MS3 compared to the MZ3, which is to be expected of course. Everything is just much tighter, progressive and linear in feel. This says a lot, because most Mazda's, the 3 certainly not excluded, excel in these particular driving characteristics.

I guess what I'm saying, in my usual verbose manner, is that I don't really see any discernable change in fit and finish between the older generation and my new 2008.5 MS3. Perhaps this isn't a fair comparison though and I'd need to compare apples to apples. So, that said, I'd be interested to know what you think is not as good in the fit and finish since you used to drive an older GT before buying your new one.
    Last edited by Zoom Zoom Boy; 11-10-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I have some specified examples.

Now these may seem small but little things can change views.

For example, if you look at my head lights, the spacing around them is inconsistent, my passenger side dashboard where the airbag is you can see the skeletal system beneath. Thinner plastic than my 2005 Mazda3 Sport GT.

I am finding the plastic on the doors seems to mark quicker and easier.

The front quarter panels seem to be tightly fit and almost too tight which could cause some paint chips if they flex in any way.

I also noticed the small quarter panel lip by the headlights is not even. One is obviously higher than the other side.

I found the rubber between the doors are clipped in with tiny, very easily breakable plastic rivets instead of the snug fit they had before.

My moonroof had to be adjusted because when closed the passenger side rear portion stuck up.

The radio antennae is garbage! I get static on radio stations such as 102.1 and 103.5 where I never had static on these channels before even when driving to Blue Mountain.

If you look at the rear bumper the new higher black portion, you will see many vehicles that the black colour is not clean and even where it meets the coloured portion of the bumper.

These may be silly things but they make a difference in showing the care taken when building.

Maybe it's due to the world economy? They need to make things cheaper so save money... Who knows.

These are just my opinions.

And now the cowl rattle.

I don't mean to complain. This is my 3rd Mazda in 7 years so I am noticing a down turn in quality however slight it may be.

I only have 1600 km's on my car now. I will let you know when I reach the 10,000 km mark and see it anything else changes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so far only once or twice thats why I dident say anything more, I dont want to waste their time or my time untill I know its a real issue. hopefully this problem does not come back. Iam going to have to devot a whole day to getting it looked at which is a nono for me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear ya.

Mississauga Mazda wants me to bring it in so they can verify that it is an issue then they will order the parts. It happens constantly over bumps or uneven pavement so I know it is the real issue.

I am not sure what the do to fix it. I see they replace some rubber pads but what needs to be done? Anything taken apart?

Could I do this myself?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krakor,

Thanks for taking the time to list some of the things you noticed. Like you, I am a long time Mazda owner, although I've had other cars also during those times.

I am going to take a more thorough look and comparison between my wife's car and mine and see if I can notice any differences. My comparison is not as relevant your own as enough has changed between the model years and between the two designs, but it's worthwhile just the same.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast