Thread: Oil change under warranty: how much leeway do we have?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oil change under warranty: how much leeway do we have?

I'm always due for an oil change based on time elapsed not on mileage - the car is under warranty.
    The question is how much room do we have before Mazda can say you void the warranty?

I'm already thinking that the Canadian oil change schedule is ridiculous (compared to UK for instance: 5k miles vs 12.5k or 3mths vs 6) even with the famous winter conditions.
    So if I push the oil change by a month or so...will I eventually get in trouble with the dealer - I know that mechanically I'm not at risk.

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oil change under warranty: how much leeway do we have?

I really don't think you'll have a problem as long as you're changing your oil at every recommended interval, and have kept all the receipts whether you were doing it yourself, or at a licensed mechanic, or at the dealer. The key is consistency - if they see a consistent pattern of oil changes at 8k intervals (and especially if you're a stickler for doing oil changes at the dealer) you will be fine. Do not worry.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I wasn't clear when formulating my question. What I was looking for is what happens if I go BEYOND the recommended 4 months (sorry, I put 3 in my initial post) let's say by a month...

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It becomes dealer discretion.

If you have a spring break, or the radio stops working, no one will care about the oil changes. However, if you have a big problem with the motor, it gives them something to throw back at you, as you did not fulfill your end (Scheduled maintenance).

-John

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep all records (oil filter, oil, drain plug washers, and labor...etc). Make sure you are consistent with your oil changes. Don't wait too long between to do them because it can and will make a big difference if you ever need an engine. We have had to turn away a few customers based on lack of proof that they have done vehicle maintenance.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay within the stated timeframe/mileage for maintenance. Do not give the dealership an excuse to void your warranty.
    |-----> Roof Rack <-----| Thule Base Rack - Rocky Mounts Bike Tray - Thule Ski Holder
    2007 GT Sedan 5spd CWP | Rays Mazdaspeed Wheels | Tri-Point Engineering Rear Swaybar
    SPC Camber Links | Bilstein Coilovers | Tint | LED Brake

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Stay within the stated timeframe/mileage for maintenance. Do not give the dealership an excuse to void your warranty.
    It’s not the dealership who would authorize an engine it is Mazda Canada, and most often than not Mazda Canada will ask for the maintenance records first. if the vehicle is not serviced as part of the regular recommended maintenance schedule.
    Mazda has the right to decline warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPDADY View Post
    Keep all records (oil filter, oil, drain plug washers, and labor...etc). Make sure you are consistent with your oil changes. Don't wait too long between to do them because it can and will make a big difference if you ever need an engine. We have had to turn away a few customers based on lack of proof that they have done vehicle maintenance.
    Exactly, keep all records. I would suggest staying with the recommended maintenance schedule at the very least until your warranty expires at which point if you want to extend the time / mileage it would then be your call. If there is a failure you would know why and wouldn’t be questioning if you stretch your intervals will you be covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're doing it by interval of time (months) vs mileage you're really only saving yourself 2 extra oil change per year 12/3 vs 12/6 (uk specs) so that's an extra savings of $140bux a year (assuming you use synthetic and it costs $70/visit). A used engine + labor costs approx $1200 to $1500 out of warranty, its just not worth it. Plus even if it was under warranty its just annoying when you have to deal with mazda canada

Plus uk vs cdn recommendations are a bit off because they may have different spec (tune), therefore requires different maintenance schedule. Jsut look at the skyactiv for exmaple.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick to the recommendations of the Mazda schedule. That way they have no reason to deny a warranty repair.

Sometimes I have less than 2k in a 4 month period but the oil still gets changed on schedule.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies guys...as I thought, it's not worth the savings (4 vs 2 changes a year).
    However, I'm sure you must have seen this (as it made some noise), California started a big campaign on increasing the interval between oil changes. The reasons provided were quality of oil, newer engines, etc.
    It just seems that the point of view changes when a government wants to push a savings measure...then they find all the technical reasons behind it (information from car manufacturers and oil companies that otherwise would not be available to public).

Just a thought...changing the oil because the manufacturer pushes for it vs providing technical reasons just seems wrong to me. But that's opening a huge can of worms and I didn't even put my flame retardant suit on

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree and disagree. the reason for more manufactures extending services apart from now using better oil then prior and engines running more efficent and with a thinner grade say 10w30, 5w30 vs 5w20 and 0w20 synth which in turn would cause less internal wear. from what it seems through the grape vine and not from a mazda stand point by from an overall industry view, the reason it seems for extending oil change services was that at the 5,000 km / 3 month service that used to be ( from the protege and before) the engines would usually out last the vehicle and run with out issue where the body of the cars would be rusting. now not saying that mazda or other manufactures want the engines to fail but when the body may begin to fail / rust the engines will be around say the same in wear . say 10 years down the road the body is rusting away and the engine is having problems as well ( just my view but thats generally how it seems). we had a 98 protege in last year with 300,000km on it. and ran perfect but the struts and shocks rotted away from the body.

i myself in my last car which was a 2002 ford focus know that this makes sense as my car was rusting away over the years but the engine ran like a top, what i start to do at about the 120 000km mark was watch the oil wear. i noticed that at 5,000 when it was recommended to change it was still clean and gold. so i started to exted them, at the same time i started working at mazda which would mean i was on the hwy much more for my daily drive. so doing the 5,000 km services would happen much faster. so i slowly started to extend it and started to follow closer on the mazda service of 8,000 km. the oil changes even then were still pretty clean but i of course didnt want to leave it in there for too long to prevent any issue. i had the car up to 205,000 km and still the oil and engine ran like a top before i got my Mazda 3.

all in all, be this the case or not from what it seems like apart from vehicle improvements over time, our service schedules have improved from the 3 month 5,000km service which would give or take be 4 a year or 5 if you do 25,000 km a year. vs the 3 a year which is now recommended, seems to me things will only get better and who knows with the 0W20 synth now being used maybe just maybe the service schedule will change again.

IPSE, you mention its not worth the savings (4 vs 2 changes a year) for your 2011 Mazda 3 it would be 3 oil changes per year or 8,000 KM with 0W20 Synth Oil.

As of course it has been said but best is to stay on the service schedule until your warranty expires. if you decide then to do them less services as you do not do the mileage then that is up to you. it of course wont be a question of will or will it not be covered under your warranty if there was a failure.
    Last edited by Booter22; 01-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.